The Michel Delving Mathom-House (OOC)

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Arien
Arien
Hi @Periantar! Select message below to read: [ I love your enthusiasm but please don’t godmode without asking - by which I mean, stating what other characters do in your writing! I personally don’t tend to mind but many other members do and it’s in our role playing code of conduct which you can find here. Thanks so much! ]
cave anserem

New Soul
@Silky Gooseness
Thanks, I had no idea - clearly something somewhere that I didn't read or didn't understand
Periantar:
I am a multi facited hobbit, for I am a gardener;
a leader, hobbit second regiment of the HDS;
and fireworks meister of TISAPA.

Balrog
Hey @Drifa, I will be joining the sleuthing later this evening, if that’s alright
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Khazad Elder
Oh, I was thinking of you today, Frost. I am so happy. Will you help me make this a blast?
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Ent Ancient
@Drifa - I am keen to join word sleuth depending on how long the turn/round for each person is!

Ent Ancient
oh also a lil bird wants to know if @Pele Alarion is still keen for a sleuth?

Khazad Elder
I hope Pele is still interested. I believe rounds were 48 hours last time we played, @Lail. We can make them longer if everyone agrees. Thanks for joining in.

Hi @Periantar! Glad to have you aboard. Word Sleuth is like Scrabble. I have to shut down for the night. I will post more tomorrow.

Balrog
I shall do my very damndest Drifa!
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
Have fun playing. Too difficult for me, sleuth. Did it not succeed in the past either.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

High Warden of Tower
Oh, this would be on? I could dust off my word finding skills and see what comes of it.

Khazad Elder
Haha, don't forget to dust off your courage, Pele. There be ghosts in the quarry.

@Pele Alarion , @Lail , @Periantar , @The Occultated

The deadline in the last match between plays was 48 hours. How do you feel about this deadline?

Balrog
I think 48 hours is fair

High Warden of Tower
48 hours seems good! I'll see if there's any courage left. Hehe

Khazad Elder
Thanks, peeps! What do you say, @Lail, @Periantar? Are you still game?

Discovering a stargate in the quarry as a prompt would be interesting. We could then pop over to the Halloween Pub: The Gate of the Seven Stars in Gondor for a round or two.

Balrog
Playing Laurence and Tarquinius at the same time could be a trip

Khazad Elder
Bump for @Lail, @Periantar.

Yes, it could be a trip. I am going to set the rules up in the game thread.

Ent Ancient
@Drifa - yes I'm in!! sounds good :)

Khazad Elder
Wonderful, Lail! I hope I didn't bump you too hard. :wink: We will give young hobbit, @Periantar, time to respond, and then we should be ready.
Last edited by Drifa on Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orc Chieftain
Do you mind if I join? Elanor Starsley was making too much of a fuss of having to hunt down a dragon, so perhaps this might be a good alternative? After all, she attempted to escape Krampus once upon a time. :wink:
He who commands the Ruling Ring... commands all

Khazad Elder
Of course! Good to have you aboard, @Lady of Shadow! :thumbs:

Khazad Elder
WORD SLEUTH RULES
  • The game's object is to make interlocking words (in a crossword-style, across or down) on the board. These words score points
    depending on the letters and their placement on the board. At the end of the game, the Team/Player with the highest score wins.
  • The players will have a rack of letters they play from. The starting rack will have seven letters.
  • The first player sets a word on the board with one of the tiles on the center square (a double-word tile). The term is scored, and that Team receives new tiles to replace the ones they used. Then, the second player must create a word (or words) using at least one tile already set on the board and so on for each player.
  • The player's alternate play, receiving new tiles to replace those used. The game continues until one of the players either uses all their tiles or is unable to make a play. Once that happens, the round is completed.
  • Words must be placed horizontally or vertically, reading left to right or down. Diagonal words are not allowed. Words reading from right to left or up are not allowed. Words requiring apostrophes or hyphens are not allowed. All words must be found in the Word Sleuth Dictionary unless quoted from Tolkien's works.
  • When a word is placed on the board, any letters they touch in adjacent rows must form complete words. The score includes all words formed or modified during the turn.
New words may be formed by:
Adding one or more letters to a word already on the board.
Placing a word at right angles to a word already on the board, using one of its letters or adding a letter.
Placing a complete word parallel to a word already played so that adjacent letters also form full words.
  • No play will be accepted after the 48-hour deadline. No tile may be shifted or removed after a play is posted. Neither can a play be edited or deleted in an attempt to alter a play. However, if a player wishes to clarify an issue, such as adding a source to a quote or correcting misspellings of words, they may do so in a separate post.
  • You may use a turn to exchange all or some of your letters. If you exchange letters, that is your turn.
Challenge:
If a player thinks a play is invalid, they can ask the Moderator to rule on it and either allow or disallow the play.
Scoring:
Each play will be scored by adding the tile values of all words formed, adding any applicable ME Bonus, and applying the Board Bonuses. Words that use all seven letters will receive an additional Bonus of 50 points.
  • The value of any tiles left in the racks at the end of the game will be deducted from that Team's score. Blank tiles have no score value.
A Middle Earth Bonus:
A bonus of 10 points will be applied to scores for Tolkien words and 5 points for generic words (i.e., words not specific to Tolkien works) played that are supported by a valid quote from the approved list of J.R.R. Tolkien's writings of fiction:
The Hobbit
The Lord Of The Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Children Of Húrin
The History of Middle-earth (HoME)
A Tolkien word is defined as a word not found in the Word Sleuth Dictionary yet found in Tolkien's works or a word that, although located in the Word Sleuth Dictionary, has a unique meaning in Tolkien's works, for example, the word Shire.
When using a quote, it can be no more than 250 words in length and has to be one single quote. If you play the same word twice in one turn, the word must be found twice in the quote. For example, if you play AN and AN in one turn, the word AN must feature twice in the quote you provide for you to get the Bonus for each word.
The Bonus will be added BEFORE any additional increase (Triple Word Scores, etc.) The word being quoted must appear exactly as you have played (i.e. "jumped" cannot be used if you only played "jump").
If you wish to play a Tolkien word, yet a quote on another word in the same play will gain you a higher score (for example, you play ARAGORN under an E also forming EA, and ARAGORN falls on a TWS, then quoting ARAGORN will get you more points than quoting EA) you may give a separate quote verifying that it exists in a Tolkien book. Still, you won't score points for it.
  • There is a 48-hour deadline for each turn. ( The deadline is subject to change depending on how the game unfolds and the amount of participants.)
Posting Format:
For actual plays on the board, the following format should be followed please:
Team A Playing Post
GET vertically with the G at the end of JO, so also making JOG and DOPE
GET=2+1+(1*3) = 6+5ME = 16
JOG=8+1+2 = 11
DOPE=2+1+3+1 = 7
Total = 34
Quote:
"That settles it!" said Frodo. "Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones. At all costs we must keep you away from the Golden Perch. We want to get to Bucklebury before dark. What do you say, Sam?" (Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms)
A polite notice: If using a Blank Tile, please indicate this when making your play. For example, Team A wishes to play EXIT, with the Blank Tile being T. This makes it easier for our mod. Thanks!

Ent Ancient
@Drifa, dear, not in the least! :smooch:

New Soul
@Drifa oooooh, this is gonna do my head in, forgive me, too confusing for this simple hobbit
Periantar:
I am a multi facited hobbit, for I am a gardener;
a leader, hobbit second regiment of the HDS;
and fireworks meister of TISAPA.

Khazad Elder
Ah, @Periantar, it is not confusing. Four people will play before you. You can watch how they play. And any questions you have, you can ask right here. We will all help you out. Give it a try!

Khazad Elder
Hi @Lady of Shadow! Thanks for making your play. Alas, that is not how Word Sleuth works. I should have indicated this in my post. My apologies.

If you have ever played Scrabble, you'll know that you get seven letters. You must make a word with those letters. An example of how to do this is in the WORD SLEUTH RULES which I posted above. It is a good idea to read through the rules if you have never played before. If you still have any questions, please let me know. :smooch:

Your seven letters are whited out between the two asterisks. Please highlight them to discover what they are.
Elanor Starsley/Lady of Shadow
*V A S I R R I*
Tarquinius Fieldhopper/Frost
*D G O R E A BLANK*
Fuchsia Meadowsweet /Pele
*A E X N P O N*
Rilla Banks/Lail
*E S M D E Y I*

Orc Chieftain
Sorry about that. I know how to play Scrabble, though I must of missed the part where the letters were. I'll try to do better next time. :facepalm:

Khazad Elder
No worries, @Lady of Shadow. I always assume everyone knows how to play word sleuth. I should have indicated where the letters are hidden. Good luck on your next attempt. :smooch:

Khazad Elder
@Lorenzo Pee I totally understand. I should have incorporated this rule before. Everyone will get two free passes (that seems fair, eh?). Both you and @Lady of Shadow are more than welcome to make a play after @Pele Alarion makes her play. I will figure it all out after you do if you choose to make a play.

Life is a wild merry-go-round. Sometimes, we don't always catch the gold ring.

Balrog
@Drifa That seems more than fair. Will I need to (re)make my play once Pele has done her thing or can the post I made stand?

Khazad Elder
@Lorenzo Pee It doesn't matter when I think of it. You would have been before Pele if you would have played. So go ahead and post now if you have time.

High Warden of Tower
Wait, what? I'm confuzzled... The play does stand and can be used or not? :confused: Think I've missed something here. lol

Khazad Elder
@Lorenzo Pee's post is good, @Pele Alarion. You can play.

Khazad Elder
I have ships sailing around on my brain waves. Please excuse my confuzzlment. :smile:

High Warden of Tower
Posting and hoping I still remember how to count in WS. :D

Ent Ancient
@Drifa - I struggle with the math every time, so hope I did this one right!

I couldn't remember if we had to use our word in our RP or not so I threw it in at the last minute. Do we use our word in our RP text or no?

Khazad Elder
@Lail no worries math was fine! You got it, :thumbs:

Orc Chieftain
I'm going to have to drop out, because I don't get this game. How are you forming those words with the letters provided? This is not the Scrabble that I'm used to, sorry. :shrug:

Khazad Elder
Hi @Lady of Shadow! Oh, don't give up yet. What scrabble are you used to?

Orc Chieftain
Maybe I just haven't played it in a while. Do you have to use all the letters? I found one word I could use, but since it includes a letter of one of the other words, it would mean I'm only using about four of the letters provided. And what if one of the letters lands on the DL, TL, square, does the word have to contain a double (or triple) letter, or does that just increase the score? Sorry for all of the questions, but I was only a member of Mordor's Sr. Drill Team on the Old Plaza, and I think that was more like Trivial Pursuit, I never participated in Word Sleuth (that I'm aware of, anyways) so this is a bit of a challenge for me.

Khazad Elder
Hi @Lady of Shadow - Questions are good! You can use one letter or all your letters. It depends on how long the word is you create. No, the word does not have to fall on a premium square, although it does increase your score, which is good. This answers the following question: yes, the premium squares (double letter, double word, triple letter, triple word) increase your score.

Check out the rules, then try, and we shall see what we see. :thumbs:

WORD SLEUTH RULES

High Warden of Tower
@Drifa I've forgotten... If 2 words are formed in one play and cross on DL or DW or such it applies to both words, or? :lol: See what happens when it has been a while of playing WS or Scrabble, or any such game.

Khazad Elder
@Pele Alarion Yes! Both receive the premium bonus if a letter falls on a bonus square and creates two new words. :thumbs:

I know; I had to go back and see how to update again. :googly:

Khazad Elder
Hi ho @Lorenzo Pee! You can only make a six-letter word horizontally using the E in SULE. Unless, of course, you also use the D in GOADED and make another word.

What would you like to do? :smile:

Khazad Elder
@Lady of Shadow , @Pele Alarion , @Lail - Lorenzo Pee must be busy in RL. He seems to only come on during the weekends. What would you like to do? Wait for him to reply, or continue the game?

High Warden of Tower
Depends on how much the time limit is cut in stone. Else could wait a little. :grin:

Orc Chieftain
It might be a good idea to increase the time limit by a day or so, since even when I check it, the time limit seems to be up for my turn. On a similar note, do you mind if I post mine a little late or should I wait for my turn to come around again?

Khazad Elder
Okay, let us wait. Time limits seem irrelevant at the pace the plaza is at these days.

Hi @Lady of Shadow - please wait for your turn to come around again. I am not sure where @Lorenzo Pee will play. Thanks!

Ent Ancient
also happy to wait! :)

Balrog
Apologies all, have edited the post, thank you all for your patience.

Khazad Elder
Hi, @Lady of Shadow - Unfortunately, you can not play GIVE vertically using the E in OUTER—the letter V in GIVE falls beside the S in STUNT. SV is not a word.

New words may be formed by:
Adding one or more letters to a word already on the board creates a word.
Placing a word at right angles to a word already on the board, using one of its letters or adding a letter, creating a word.
Placing a complete word parallel to a word already played so that adjacent letters also form complete words.

Here is an example:

I will place the word PIES vertically using the E in OUTER, also creating the words SI and UT.
PIES 3+1+1+1=6x2(DW) =12
SI 1+1=2 +10(MEB)12
US 1+1=2

A Elbereth Gilthoniel
o menel palan-diriel,
le nallon di'nguruthos!
A tiro nin, Fanuilos!

Try making a new word, love! You do not have to create a new post; edit your new word into your post. Good luck!