Adab Gelir III (Pub) - Winter Waning

The fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone.
Black Númenórean

They saw a valley far below. They could hear the voice of hurrying water in a rocky bed at the bottom; the scent of trees was in the air; and there was a light on the valley-side across the water… The trees changed to beech and oak, and there was a comfortable feeling in the twilight. The last green had almost faded out of the grass, when they came at length to an open glade not far above the banks of the stream. “Hmmm! It smells like elves!” though Bilbo, and he looked up at the stars. They were burning bright and blue. Just then there came a burst of song like laughter in the trees:

O! What are you doing,
And where are you going?
Your ponies need shoeing!
The river is flowing!
O! tra-la-la-lally
Here down in the valley!

O! What are you seeking,
And where are you making?
The faggots are reeking,
The bannocks are baking!
O! Tril-lil-lil-lolly
The valley is jolly,
Ha! Ha!

O! Will you be staying,
Or will you be flying?
Your ponies are straying!
The daylight is dying!

To fly would be folly,
To stay would be jolly
And listen and hark
Til the end of the dark
To our tune
Ha! Ha!

So they laughed and sang in the trees; and pretty fair nonsense, I daresay you think it. Not that they would care; they would only laugh all the more if you told them so. They were elves of course…. Then off they went into another song as ridiculous as the one I have written down in full. At last one, a tall young fellow, came out from the trees and bowed to Gandalf and Thorin. “Welcome to the valley!” he said.

The Hobbit, A Short Rest

In the vale of Rivendell, where the Last Homely House lies safely nestled, dwell not only its noble inhabitants but the many common residents of the valley, a curious and carefree people. They dance, sing and laugh amongst the trees and by the river, coming together from their secret dwellings to make merry from dusk ‘til dawn. While bands of elves no doubt roam the vale and do their merry-making in the open air, others prefer to gather in the comfortable arms of Adab Gelir, the House of Merriment. This rustic tavern sits in the embrace of an enormous beech tree, built up beneath the hanging boughs to wrap halfway around the tree, so that the trunk itself forms the back wall. The thatch-roofed building thrusts out from the tree in a broad semicircle, with plenty of room inside the hidden pub for the inhabitants of the valley to crowd in of an evening. Above the beechen door, a faded rainbow peeks down at visitors, painted upon the bark one summer.

Within the tavern itself, the ceilings are low and broad-beamed, making the interior seems somewhat smaller than it is, but cozy and warm. In the center of the long, curved room, opposite the door, is the bar. It is a carved structure of beech with a long flat surface that extends just to where the room begins to curve, with plenty of stools for those who wish to sit at the bar. For those who prefer a different setting, there are chairs and tables scattered about the length of the tavern’s rush-strewn floor. None of them are fixed in place, so that patrons of the Adab Gelir can rearrange them as their mood suits, often changing configuration several times in one night. At each end of the semicircular tavern is a roaring fireplace, where groups can gather for quiet conversation or bards may take up a position of prominence.

Behind the bar is Alagon (played by Moriel), the jovial Sinda who runs the tavern. He is a not overtall, a middle-sized ellon with a solid frame, wild reddish hair, a ruddy complexion and bright blue eyes. He is always cheerful and ready with as joke or a song, keeping the Adab Gelir open to all hours for the inhabitants of the vale. All are treated equally by Alagon, from the youngest child to Lord Elrond himself. Always close by is his pet robin, Gliri.

Drinks
Dorwinion Red Wine – Fine imported red, the same variety that the Elvenking favors for his table. Quite strong!
Greenwood Burgundy – A dark red wine from Mirkwood, rich and bold.
Northern White Wine – Delicate white, from a small vineyard at the northernmost edge of the valley.
Blackberry Wine – Created by Alagon himself, this wine made from plump blackberries is extremely strong and sold only in very small glasses, as it is deceptively sweet and fruity.
Mead – Also called honey wine, a powerful drink made by Alagon from sweet clover honey. Available plain, or in varieties flavored by raspberry and rosehips.
Dry Stout – An almost black beer, characterized by a toast or coffee-like taste.
Old Ale – A dark malty beer, fairly bitter
Brown Ale – Dark amber beer, sweet and smooth, with a hint of chocolate.
Tea – Black, Mint, Ginger or Cinnamon.

Food
Bannocks – Flat, dense oatmeal cakes, made with salt and sugar. Very good plain or dipped in tea or honey.
Fruit – A dish of fresh fruit, sliced or chopped, varieties dependent on the season. Also available dribbled with honey!
Bread – Baked fresh, light and crusty or thick and solid. Served with butter or/and fruit preserves.
Stew – Rich, filling venison stew with barley and good root vegetables
Fish – Catch of the day from the Bruinen, grilled and flaky.
Potted Hare – Rabbit stewed in red wine, shredded, mixed with lemon and thyme, then packed into a terrine and covered with broth and butter and left to cool until the mixture has saturated.
Fruitcake – Not your granny’s Yuletide brick, this cake is thick, stodgy and filled with plums.
Pie – Apple, Cherry, Blueberry

Rules
1. Please avoid #008040, as that is the publician (Alagon) color
2. Posts 200+ characters (approx. 2 full lines of text)
3. The year is TA 3015
4. Have fun!

Note: While godmoding is of course not permitted, feel free to say that you're already a regular, or assume a friendly relationship with Alagon, even if you haven't actually RP'd in Adab Gelir before! The pub has been around since shortly after the founding of Imladris, so plenty of characters might spent time here.

If you are interested in working at the Adab Gelir as a baker, cook, server, assistant bartender, or other position you might have an idea for, feel free to approach Alagon IC! Or talk to Moriel in the Imladris OOC/on discord.

The deep snows that blanket Imladris in winter have begun to recede, though there's still time for an early-spring blizzard to pounce! Nevertheless, the windows of Adab Gelir, often covered with ice in deep winter, have cleared, and on especially fine days the gentle drip drip of melting ice can be heard outside. The fireplaces still roar at night to keep out the chill, and Alagon offers a special mulled mead on nights such as the one now drawing on, when winter isn't quite sure it's finished. Come in to Adab Gelir, where all are welcome, to warm yourself and share in good company!
Last edited by Moriel on Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Black Númenórean

Alagon stood in the doorway of Adab Gelir, watching the sunset as its fire played over the treetops. Winter sunsets and rises were often some of the most beautiful, and all the more so for the chill one had to endure to fully appreciate them. Cold nipped at his nose and fingertips , and augmented the color in the jovial Sinda's already ruddy cheeks. It promised to be a busy night: the cold had come on quickly after a fine day, promising icy conditions tonight and in the morning, and a fair number of regular patrons already filled the pub behind him with low chatter and laughter. Mulled mead kept hot on the bartop in a copper vat, and Gliri swooped from fire to fire taking up his perches where it was warmest. Alagon smiled. A curly-haired ellon came hurrying up the trodden-snow path and grinned as he brushed past the publican, into Adab Gelir.

"Come on Alagon, you're letting all the warm out!" Alagon laughed and shook his head, turning to follow the ellon inside, after one last glance at the sky.

"We can't have that can we? Go on then Remlasson, the usual is it?" Receiving an enthusiastic assent, Alagon took up his position behind the bar and poured a large dry stout for the ellon, who had developed a taste for it at Osdolen. Once Remlasson had departed to one of the fires to join some friends, Alagon indulged in pouring himself a cup of mulled mead, and sipped leisurely. One never knew quite what a night in Adab Gelir would bring!

Balrog
Image Image

“Just how far are you going to make me traipse through the forest? This blackberry wine had better be worth it.” Crashing along the forest pathway in a way that only an elf can crash, Lilótea came on a clearing and came to a sudden halt. Iesteth, coming in behind her, barely missed running into her student, narrowly dodging, and turning to perform something akin to a pirouette. “I’m not going any further until I know what sort of wicked torture you have planned for me. Come on now, tell me. There is no pub out here is there? I can’t believe I let you talk me into this. ‘Just a quick run’ you said, ‘it’ll be good cardio’ you said. I fell for it like a sack of potatoes down a hill.” She put her hands on her hips, then quickly wiped the sweat from her brow. There’s a myth that elves don’t sweat, no matter how hot it gets. Never had Lilótea wished more that that were true. She was, in fact, covered in sweat. Her clothes clung to her and made her very away of her every curve as she moved.

Iesteth, naturally, had nothing more than a light sheen on her forehead, something that glistened in the light of the sun and made her look more radiant than she already did. Her friend had all the luck. “You need to be a little more trusting,” her voice was bouncy and lyrical, it didn’t sound like they’d just run at least four leagues around in stars knew how many circles.

“Me? Trust you?” Lilótea scoffed. “I don’t think so, not after this.”

“Aye,” said her companion who was already starting to walk ahead of her. “We’re nearly there. Just around the corner. See that big tree?”

“That big tree?” Lilótea pointed to one of the many “big trees” in the area with dubious intent.

“Does that tree look like it could hold a pub?” Iesteth asked, turning to walk backward.

“I—” Lilótea began.

“Come on! Follow me and you’ll get that blackberry wine I promised.”

Grudgingly, Lilótea followed, purposefully moving at a much, much slower pace than her companion, moving at what many might call a lope or a canter. She had no intention of expending any more energy than absolutely necessary on this fool’s mission. She was coming to regret agreeing to allow Iesteth to train her. When she wasn’t torturing her by making her run through the forest to some destination that in likelihood was a dank cave with a badger and two bottles of Old Dorwinion, she was beating her to death with sticks, or she might as well be with how difficult it was for Lilótea to even hold a practice sword without screaming when the wooden blades clacked together. They’d been friends for nearly a century now and despite all that time, their paths rarely crossed professionally. Iesteth was a career soldier, a member of the Host of Imladris, and meletheld to Arwen. Lilótea worked in the kitchens and spent much of her free time in the Hall of Fire. Indeed, if fate had not decreed that they live together for the first few years of Iesteth’s arrival in the Valley, they would have never met at all. Thank the stars for a housing crunch though. Despite feeling like she was presently being tortured and tormented, Lilótea would not have traded their friendship for anything.

She was falling behind quickly now, Iesteth was barely visible through the trees as Lilótea rounded the corner.

Then it appeared. Yes. That tree could hold a pub, though it still looked like it was a pub meant for squirrels and hares and river otters. Lilótea, out of breath and lured by the promise of blackberry wine, wasn’t in the mood to complain though. She was thirsty.

“There now,” Iesteth said, a smirk in her voice. “Was that so bad? The harder you work, the sweeter the wine is at the end of the day.”

“I think you’ve got something twisted in your brain if you think that’s a saying,” countered Lilótea.

They pushed the doors open together and were quickly assailed by the overwhelming scent of baking pies of a dozen different sorts.

“A glass of blackberry wine for the one about to fall over,” announced Iesteth, “and a mug of mead for me.”
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Black Númenórean

The doors swung open, and Alagon looked up from his cup to see a pair of ellyth making their way across the rushes, and grinned. "Iesteth!" he greeted the one who led the way, "Always good to see you! And you've brought a friend, I see- welcome!" The publican nodded to the other eolith (Lilótea), as he reached beneath the bar to produce a small pewter goblet, and a bottle of dark, viscous wine. He poured what for his blackberry wine was a generous measure, and pushed it across to the newcomer. "My own specialty miss, I hope you enjoy! And good for recovery after one has been dragged around the valley." The sweat upon her brow -and person- had not escaped Alagon, and he astutely ascribed the fault for it to her companion. "As for you," he said, turning to Iesteth with a slight wink, "have a go at this." Rather than supplying her with ordinary mead, he ladelled out a mug of the mulled concoction from its copper vat, and handed it over. "Both spiced and fortified, and sure to keep you happy. Speaking of happy, how is our Lady? And I take it you have taken on a new- pupil, perhaps?" His eyes twinkled kindly as they fell back upon Lilótea, whose clothing seemed to have begun to steam in the warmth of Adab Gelir.

Black Númenórean
TR Note: After an inquiry, OP has been updated to specify the year of play! I've also added a note about newcomers to the thread not necessarily being newcomers to the pub, and that it's ok to assume a basic relationship with Alagon. Thanks!

Arien
Arien
Alcadir

O bright is the morning,
and sweet is the snowfall!
But with each new dawning
I grow yet more… woeful?

Alcadir pouted. He hadn’t meant to bring his inner mood down so quickly, but it had just popped into his head and one couldn’t deny a spontaneous rhyme, could one? Not only that, it wasn’t even morning, but rather the beginnings of an early dusk, with a brisk nip to the clear air. He pushed open the door of the tavern with an excessively melancholic sigh; but his naturally perky demeanour wrestled its way to the forefront of his brain and stretched his mouth into an irrepressible grin as he scooted up to the bar.

“Mead, mead, mead for me,” he sang gaily, inhaling deeply. “Has someone here ordered some already? Which flavours would you recommend?

And perhaps we’ll have a pie!”

He leaned his elbows on the counter and merrily shook some sparkles of ice from his blond head.
cave anserem

Balrog
Image Image

She might have been one of her oldest and dearest friends, but Iesteth had never heard someone complain so much as Lilótea when they were out doing any sort of physical exertion. To hear the purple and blue haired elf speak, she was being forced into the worst kind of torture, cruel and unusual punishment, instead of a light job along the well-worn pathways in the valley. Iesteth also had a hard time believing that Lilótea had never even heard of Adeb Gelir. Who lives in Rivendell for a thousand years and hadn’t heard of it?! It boggled the mind. Iesteth herself found the place within a month and been coming back on an almost religious schedule since. The mead was her particular favorite.

Lilótea darted to the counter, moving faster than someone who complained about having to run five miles, and scooped up the goblet with grace, despite being covered in the crystalline sheen of exhaustion. She drank deep and some color returned to her cheeks (along with just the thinnest line of blackberry wine along her chin, but Iesteth wasn’t about to warn her).

Iesteth smirked and followed her companion with a little more grace. She wasn’t dying of thirst of malnutrition just yet. She inhaled the smell of the mead first, taking in a huge breath as she swirled it about in the goblet. She was met by the smells of a least a dozen different notes, all wonderfully pleasant and warm; she took a long, deep sip and felt the sweet honey wine warm her bones. “My Lady,” she drawled slowly with a not very inconspicuous wink, “is doing quite well. She’s in Lórien right now, taking in all the sights of the mallorn trees she can, getting spoiled by her grandmother and grandfather I’m sure. In the meantime, I’ve taken up the hopeless task of trying to train my oldest friend. Lilótea!” the elleth looked up from her goblet and looked like she had been caught with her hand in a cookie jar (a truly heinous offense to a chef of her caliber). “Lilótea, meet Alagon; Alagon, meet Lilótea.”

Lilótea coughed, wiped the purplish stain on her chin before it dripped too far, and nodded. “Well met, Alagon. You weren’t kidding about the wine.”

Before more conversation could be had though, more introductions needed to be had. An elf (Alcadir) that seemed like Iesteth should have known him appeared in glittering, icy splendor (or that might have just been the light appearing cherubical behind him) at the door and sang an order for mead and pie. Quite a sweet combination, it almost gave her a toothache thinking about it. Though maybe—

“You know Alagon, I think, sorry what was your name?” she asked, hiding a smirk (her sweet tooth was rapidly starting to overtake her good sense), “I think our new friend is right. Let’s have some pie.”

In her spot, once again with the goblet tilted skyward, Lilótea mumbled her concurrence.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Arien
Arien
Alcadir, awaiting a Pie

Pie! What a popular concept. No sooner had Alcadir popped his head through the doorway and called for pie than everyone - well, nearly everyone - well, at least one other person, and a mumble that could be taken for agreement - was also calling for pie. This was clearly because Alcadir was just full of excellent ideas, and, shortly, would soon be full of excellent pie.

The tankard of mead was slid silently over the bar top to him, foaming with honey-sweet bubbles. Alcadir sighed a happy little sigh of warm contentment and dipped his chin into the concoction, leaving him with a fine mead-beard the like of which had not been seen outside of the Grey Havens and lent him a certain sage-like appearance. He ruined it immediately by stroking his pale clever fingers across his chin, which he then hastily stuck in his mouth.

“Mmm,” he said incoherently. “Any chance of a napkin?”
cave anserem

Black Númenórean

The mead delivered safely to Alcadir and still chuckling at Lilótea's reaction to his wine, the publican watched in further amusement at his latest patron's antics with the mead-foam. If only some artist had been present to capture his beard in sketch! From his perch behind the bar, Gliri chirped disapprovingly. "Hush, you," Alagon admonished the robin with a wink, reaching below the bar to retrieve a clean serviette from atop a stack, and slid that too across the bar to Alcadir. "There you are, if only to clear your canvas for another delightful beard. Now," he spoke at large to the trio who all seemed to be in favor of pie, whether they knew each other or not, "what sort of pie shall it be? Apple, cherry, or blueberry? Though come to think of it I have just a but of yesterday's blackberry lemon left.. not usually appearing on my menu, you understand, but I could be persuaded to bring it out."

Arien
Arien
Alcadir, Pie

A liquid chatter interrupted his thoughts (of pie). Alcadir tilted his head slowly to meet the bright beady eye of a robin, who was clearly judging him. Alcadir peered at it more closely: yes, that was clearly disapproval in the red sugar-puff of its breast and the tiny inky droplet of its gaze, in which he himself was reflected in fascinating miniature. Was that a bit of foam left on his chin?

“Pish, bird,” he said with gentle dismissiveness, waving a long elegant hand at it and accepting the cloth from the proprietor to daintily dab away any more evidence of his gluttony. “Mmm… all those pies sound quite delicious,” Alcadir mused on, as his companions did not seem yet inclined to voice opinion or introduce themselves, “but I’ve never had that last combination… perhaps I’ll try that?”
cave anserem

Balrog
Image Image

She made the clearing, a white blur at her heels. They approached cautiously. The owner of the pub might decide today of all days to return here and what would she have to say for herself then? She held her breath. The husky at her feet looked at her quizzically, not quite comprehending the utter seriousness of the situation. To him, the whole world was a game waiting to be played. She envied that. He looked at her exuberantly, glacial blue eyes alight with mischief.

She had to admit, the air about them was charged with tomfoolery, with rapscallionry. It was not every day she had the chance to break into a seemingly abandoned pub, let alone an elven one. What are the chances of that? There can’t be that many abandoned pubs in the world. Seems like such a waste.

“Shhhh,” she warned her partner as he watched her, feet stamping in impatience. “For all we know some elf is nearby, waiting to pounce on trespassers and feed them to their…” she trailed off. What was it her father used to say elves fed naughty children to? She shrugged, pushing the memory of her father aside for the moment.

They crept, a girl and her dog, closer and closer to the pub. It was not in any sort of disrepair or disarray. It was just… empty. It was most certainly haunted. Everything old and abandoned was haunted. It was a common enough belief. Still, something so comfy being haunted added an air of unease about her as they moved within earshot.

There was still no sound from inside. There were a few birds flittering about in the branches, their song was sweet and light. She did not feel sweet or light. Her husky bounded closer, brazenly moving forward.

“Laurence, no!” she half hissed.

But he was already moving, once the little fellow got it in his mind do something, no force in all the world would stop him from accomplishing it. It was in the world’s favor that he did not favor conquest but food.

He pushed the door open with his nose and a curious paw; it swung open soundlessly. He pranced right in, as if he owned it. It was shedding season for the husky and already, before he was five steps into the pub, there were tiny floating poofballs of white hair dancing in the slight breeze. This place might as well be his now.

She followed him. If no one sounded the alarm at a seventy-pound husky barging into something, no one was home.

The place looked strange and immaculate. Tables and chairs were dust-free, the bar was swept and clean. Light danced about the place from high windows. A butterfly with white, black, purple, and grey wings fluttered passed her, the only previous occupant that could be seen. Everything about the place said it was open and ready for business, except for the oh so minor detail of no one around.

She couldn’t let that stop her. Her stomach growled. Her husky companion turned to look at her. In his eyes were words neither of them needed to speak out loud. They were hungry. The rations they’d taken from that house down the road were running out. If they were going to get to where they were going in one piece, they needed to eat.

If the kitchen looked as nice as the taproom, they might have hit a jackpot.

“C’mon Laurence, let’s see what they’ve got back here.”

New Soul
Loremaster Quennar Tarcelmë

Now and then it was a travel far and wide where the master in arts and crafts collected what he could, to narrow the history of Middle Earth as much it could be completed. The Elda always stood out kinda, by the snit of the clothing, the long dark hair and how it was tied away and the crafted sword at his left side, which was a personal weapon for thousands of years. A cloak of darker materials went over it to hide most off. The light footsteps were in sense weightless and therefore barely to be heard. Anyone, but immortal, could have a jolt of the heart, when Quennar stood right behind you, all of a sudden, with a simple smile on the face. He was of Noldorin birth, but was one of the Nandor in Harlindon. The extensive woods at the foot of the Ered Luin harboured a town where they lived called Aegliraind. They were old as the Elder Days and harboured a lot of history. Cirdan’s seat was a few hundred leagues to the north and out of the way.

Now and then it was a travel east to revisit sites that might have changed and document something over it. Some thrived against expectations, others were destroyed and new towns popped up, each time populated by new faces, that beheld the wonders of meeting an elf. In Quennar’s experience it was boring and he travelled very often the coastal route to avoid everything. Harlindon was mostly an empty land, wild and bit inhospitable, due the southwest storms from Belegaer. A perfect place to hide a colony of woodland elves. His family lived there, the woman he married long ago and the children he had. Quennar was import, but that no longer mattered.

The inn was half a smoky hellhole that asked for a cloth over the mouth when entering. But beyond that point it was quite cosy, with a good airflow, anything that could be elvish, up to the food offered. They merged buildings with trees and took the essence into the structure. The loremaster found himself a seat, took a greenwood burgundy and fresh baked bread. Quennar had no idea if he would be recognised, for some time he had worked at craftsmaster in the Tingdain. Alone at a table of four the loremaster had view on the road by the window. It was pleasant and peaceful, but not like home. Life blossomed better there. But what could be said from Imladris? The view other visitors were on themselves. Quennar enjoyed the wine and the fresh buns on the plate before him.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Balrog
(Within same timeline as Quennar)

They'll take you far away, my kin
They'll take you places you have never been
- “to my ilk” Zeal & Ardor

Keijo rubbed his eyes. He could feel his lids growing heavier with each step. When he pulled his hands away, the light of the world seemed somehow different. How, he could not say, but there was just something slightly off, lightly askew. He took a deep breath. The air was humid, it stuck to the back of his throat like a burr.

His feet hurt, he needed a place to sit and recuperate. How long had he been on the road? How long had he been alive? The answers were probably similar, yet he had no answer to either. A night here, a week there, a summer over there, a winter under that. Keijo was a transient fellow, unable and unwilling to stay too long in a single place.

He was no traveler, or at least he would not have considered himself one. He was just a man, an elf, going from one place to another. Why and where, when and how were all questions he didn’t let himself get bogged down in. Let other’s worry about the minutiae and semantics. A butterfly landed on his shoulder. It spread its vibrantly patterned wings. Light poured through that prism and the elf’s vision was filled with purple, grey, white, and black.

“Where are you off to, little one?” he asked the creature as it leapt and fluttered in front of him. It flittered back and forth, coquettishly beckoning him follow.

“Alright then,” Keijo said, “lead the way.”

They walked and fluttered for who knows how long. They crossed streams, when around trees, up hills and across furrows. Keijo lost all bearing on where he was going, not that he had much to begin with. He often traveled like this, moving as if by flight of fancy rather than purpose, a derive rather than a sojourn.

He lost himself to thoughts, then those thoughts led him to others and before he knew it, the landscape that was filled with shrubs and small trees turned into a viridian forest of tall trees and white fungus growing in perfect circles.

There was a large tree ahead of him, very large.

“What’s this?” he asked the butterfly who had taken to land on his shoulder, contented.

“Reached our destination have we?” The butterfly flexed its wings, a motion the elf took to mean yes.

He pushed the door in the tree (a door in a tree, how mellifluous) open and was met by the most interesting of sights. An inn! An inn in a tree! The concept was so absurdly wonderful that he burst into an effervescent laugh.

There were tables and chairs aplenty here, though not as many customers. Rather than sit by himself, Keijo sat next what seemed to be the only other patron at the moment.

“Salutations and greetings, would you mind too terribly if I sat with you for a spell? I’m Keijo.”

New Soul

(Time TA3015 with Frost)

People came and go at the entrance also in elvenland, if it were humanland. An inn was an inn, little more could be said, then the clientele was adapted to the place of ambiance. The hollow insides of huge trees might hide something. The Eldar had always been clever to build their world with and around them, in a symbiotic relation. Quennar had hoped on sit in contemplation. But fate decided a bit differently when a customer invited himself to the table the Nandor occupied and settled himself down. Quennar motion was superfluous to take a seat, but expressed enough he was not refusing. Could an Elda refuse someone else? It had never crossed his mind. It was more of a human response.

“Keijo? From what region are you coming from?” did ask Quennar after having swallow the last bun away with the wine in the glass. “Looks you’re not from these lands.” Nor the name was this man was calling himself with. “I am Quennar and just a traveller from the road and a visitor to Imladris.” The Eldar kind had seldom sore feet, as they walked light and swift. Weight was no issue to them. Snow or a rope, the highways of wonders. “If you like to have something, the bartender can provide,” nodded Quennar. The loremaster didn’t really what to say to the stranger who came sitting at the table, and seemed to be in a quite merit mood. He gave the elf the menu card laying on the table.

Quennar had no memory to people so lighthearted. Was Keijo coming from across the sea? The undead lands? Could it be a Sindar? Or was Keijo an Avari? There were many who stayed behind on the long journey west. Those had always belonged with the third group, the most unwilling. Quennar’s former people had been the second group. The first group had all left Middle Earth, came back once for a battle and left again. Quennar had known them in the youth, thousands of years ago before the rise of the sun and moon. A distant memory invoked with pain and loss.

Around the elf’s head flew a butterfly of some kind. Quennar frowned slight. “Where you looking for a spell? I am not at home in sorcery.”

Balrog

Keijo gave a barely perceptible wince. He saw a shadow, brief though it had been, pass over the face of the man sitting at the table before him. He’d interrupted some deep thought process. He could recall many times he had prematurely been forced out of a reverie, the jarring sensation of being thrust out of a world of your imagining to a world of less saturation and vibrancy. He looked down, shamefaced and sat.

“I apologize for interrupting you,” he said first, wishing he could somehow take that back. “I’m from…” he swallowed, it was difficult to say where he was from, not because it was difficult to pronounce but because it was difficult to pinpoint a place he called ‘home.’

“I suppose you could say I’m from up north,” he decided, “further north than the Grey Mountains, past the lands of the Forod. It has been years since I saw my home though, enough that I cannot quite recount how long it has truly been. The stars have changed since.”

“It is good to meet you Quennar, thank you.” rapidly, the elf searched his mind for the name, it had a ring of familiarity, or perhaps something near to that. It was a name that rolled gently off the tongue, and easy lyrical name. Perhaps he’d heard a story from an innkeeper or farmer he’d stayed with once upon a time. Still, the exact memory eluded him. If he chased it now, he’d never catch it, like looking for a specific grain of sand on the beach.

His stomach rumbled, oft his body betrayed him. He had not even realized he was hungry. How long, then, had it been since he’d eaten last? Again, he was often so wrapped up in his own thoughts he had no idea. He blinked. The little butterfly on his shoulder could be seen in his periphery, the wings slowly, gracefully moving back and forth, a restless but gentle gesture. “I suppose some spiced tea would be nice,” he said almost to himself as much as the elf that materialized then dematerialized beside him. He barely had a chance to register them.

“Spell? Oh? Oh! No, no, my good sir. I only meant to ask if I could sit with you for a time. I’ve no practice in any sort of mysticality or supernaturalism. As much as I daydream, I’ve no power to bring any of that about. And you,” he asked, leaning forward, “ if you say you are only passing through, only a visitor, where do you hail from? Where does Quennar call home?”

New Soul

(Time TA3015 with Frost)

Quennar, curious to other places, drank quietly while listening to his fellow tablesharer. There was a hesitation where to come from, but perhaps the elf was not so certain how people around Imladris felt of very distant kin coming from places they barely heard off. Via different channels the loremaster knew that in the deep north held onto lands, that were deemed hospitable. But not all of it was icy tundra. There were pine forests as well, thousands of kilometres. Keijo was one of the Avari, elven dwellers that chosen different than the Valar had ever attended for them. Quennar shrugged: “My home rests at the westcoast of Beleriand and looks upon the ocean.” It was always an arduous journey not to meet the pesky Periannath, with minds that held little appreciation for the world beyond their borders.

Keijo was a person the loremaster had never met, nor even in the times working as a mastersmith. Those days were long over. Keijo knew nothing of spells or sorcery. But that was not entirely true. Elven always a power what stupid humans considered as sorcery, a power similar to Saruman and Sauron. Places like this in a tree were protected by this kind of power. Sorcery that was about light and balance, beauty and serenity, a shadow of what existed out in the deep west. The man across asked for spice tea.

“I don’t know much about the cold north, and I never was there. But there are men and women who saw the bowels of the earth at their own risk in the times Morgoth pasted his stamp on the world and was defeated. My people stayed out of it as much they could, after a disaster with tremendous consequences. Since then it is a good life in seclusion, we thrive and prosper, and there is little to complain about,” said Quennar in generic terms. He was never a good sir, but said nothing about it. But butterflies could be drawn to the elven folk. As the creature danced around Keijo’s head. “It is nice to meet as well, feeling is mutual,” nodded the loremaster with a smile. With strangers he was always aloof, unless it was about young elves who hadn’t seen the particular wonders of the world, the other races wrote off.

“Long road you have travelled to end up in Imladris?” commented Quennar. Keijo was certainly not a name from these regions, or even in the west. It hadn’t roots in Quenya nor Sindarin. “Ered Mithrin is a long stretch east to the red mountains and over the north the shortest route to reach them.” Arda was a globe these days in space. How vast the universe was, even Quennar didn’t know exact. All kinds were bound to it, unless they developed technologies to escape it, like the Eldar lands out of reach. Still you had to cross the ocean west. “Are you planning this is the end of your journey, or just a temperate place to stay?”

Balrog

There was something about this elf that Keijo could not quite put his finger on. He was not a people person, often filled with his own thoughts and imaginings along the roads he travelled, but this person, this Quennar, seemed an entire level of magnitude higher than he. He did not have the air of a misanthrope, not quite. He was old, Keijo realized after listening to him, watching him as he spoke and the way his eyes moved as he spoke. When individuals attain a certain age, there is a wistfulness in the way they see things, both physically and spiritually. There was something of that look in Quennar’s eyes. Sad but not mournful, perhaps entwined with roots of regret, hope, joy, loss, and heartrendings. An elf’s life was filled with all these and more. They saw so much, felt so deeply. Keijo was then keenly aware of how young he was compared to his table companion. He was not young by any stretch of the imagination, this was true enough, but he felt almost as a dibbun by the fire.

He swallowed a mouthful of his tea, savoring the spiky warm flavor as it filled him with light. A typical spiced tea might have a few herbs to warm and heat, but this was elven spiced tea and an elf never did things by half measure, he could taste half a dozen different spice and still more he could not quite identify. Good tea indeed.

“We live far, far to the north, past the stain of…” he would not say the name, invoke the image, or sully the air. It was superstitious perhaps, but Keijo had seen wild things based on superstition and folklore and he would not cross that. “… and we have lived there long, my great-great grandfather twice over was born there back in the depths of time, before the rising of sun or moon. No enemy did we see for generations, ours was a fastness hidden and hearty beside. Helothlante it is called. I doubt many legends have passed across the snow and mountains in the south… I mean north. We are a hidden people.”

He took another sip of the tea and smiled. “I must admit ignorance. I have never been to Imladris, though I have heard stories of its grandeur and its staidness. I came here from the westerlands, allowing my feet and my fancy to guide my steps. Men might call it a dérive, a journey without a purpose or an end. I love the colors of this world, often, I will follow a color I see in the trees or the sky. I came down this valley following something golden in the light.

“Tell me, though, Quennar, what brings you here? Is this your home? Imladris? You mention Beleriand, but even in the farthest glacial valleys of my home we knew it is no more.”

New Soul

(Time TA3015 with Frost)

Grandeur? Quennar was kind of surprised hearing such words from one of his brethren, albeit distant. It was as much a humble home, a shadow to the cities scattered over Valinor and the ones known on the soils of Beleriand. He came once across them, only for one time. He had never seen someone following colours, but if you were Lossidil and came from lands eternal grabbed in white, it made sense. “Imladris is the home to the Noldor of Lord Elrond,” said the loremaster. “Oh Beleriand is out there. The Ered Luin never vanished.” It was a matter of perception in the young and old. “Partly it rests under the waves.” The news had reached far and wide, which was an interesting detail, as Quennar had never really been certain of it. He had his suspicions, but only once in a thousand years you ran into a member from the tundra lands.

“Heliothlanthe on the island of Dor Bendor?” There were towns out there. “Lands as Lindalf and Järvimaa must say you something?” There were maps. Quennar had assembled them from mostly human travelers from all nations across the planet. He knew that there somewhere wandered a wizard around, or so the Lossoth said. This wizard was dressed much like them, dressed in fur made clothing and owned a ship to sail the seas. Quennar had never learned really more, that the two visits from Mulkan Kaupunki at the Hub Helchui bay. Talath Muil was the border between Arthedain in the south and Lodalf to the north. It were lands once part of the Ered Engrin.

“What brings me here?” smiled the loremaster soft. “Seeing old friends mostly. Catch up on news and other tidbits, what happened since my last visit.” Not much really, but just for the records he sat secretly on. Another beverage was served for Quennar. And something as sugared cookies, which was a human delicacy. He didn’t always eat just elven food. However the cookies were brought up to taste, that the finer senses liked. It could be too sweet off course. And his kind wouldn’t choose no longer for them, as customers. Other customers came and went, and Quennar kept an unnoticeable eye on them. His hearing picked up the smallest nuances of sound, where human ears failed. So Keijo had seen a golden light in this place. Peculiar, Quennar hadn’t seen it at all. Just the pesky smoke at the entrance. But perhaps the Lossidil were tuned differently due to their adaption to the cold? Quennar wouldn’t survive there long and had never dreamt of going there.

Balrog

Despite confessing to having never been there, Keijo was impressed by Quennar’s knowledge of his homeland, or at least the names of the surrounding lands. He was far more used to giving history and geography lessons to those chance road companions. It was refreshing and brought a smile to the young elf’s face, his icy blue eyes twinkling. “You know, Master Quennar, it does me good to hear those familiar names in the voice of someone else. I had no idea how well it treats my soul until you said them now. I have been away from them for a time now, years I believe at this point, and my heart longs for the icy, biting winds and roaring pines. How did you come to know anything of my homelands? Surely it is more than just looking at maps? The familiarity with which you speak their names seems to attest something else? Have you ever been?”

Keijo’s own village, situated amongst ghostly pines nearly five hundred feet tall, was small and distant from the royal forests and icy slopes of Helothlante. His own family were ranchers of a sort, raising caribou and elk. Initially, as a youth, he rebelled against such a pedestrian, mundane life, he wanted to see the world, he told his father and grandfather, to experience summer, to explore the regions south of the Grey Mountains. They had been less than angry but also less than understanding of his precocious mind. They must have had similar journeys in their youth and found, as he was finding, that the lands of pines and caribou were the place for them.

He took a proffered cookie and sampled the edge. It was sweet. Far sweeter than he could have imagined. He winced, coughed, then laughed. “Now, I can tell you this for certain Master Quennar, we do not have confections so sweet in my lands. How can you stand it? I have eaten peppers that have been less abrasive.” That was, of course, not to say he did not enjoy to cookie, just as he enjoyed the peppers. Southern food still surprised him.

“Forgive my inquisitive nature, Master, it is rare I am able to sit and interview someone of such bearing. If you say your home is Beleriand, you must be quite old. What, then, is it you occupy your time with?” Keijo was young but not necessarily youthful. He was older than some of these southern kingdoms but knew that there walked vast fortresses of wisdom and experience, veritable giants of time. He knew that, sitting across from him, was one just giant. “With all your long years, what keeps you from growing weary and tired?”

New Soul

(Time TA3015 with Frost)

Quennar enjoyed the drink and cookies, but the man across didn’t like it. He had no idea about what the peoples ate in the north, not much on vegetables really, but more on fish and meat. The months of ice, snow and darkness had little than that to offer. That much the loremaster knew on crossing ice sheets and snowfields. Honey could be collected in the warmer months when snow and ice were mostly gone and the tundra flowered. Accounts had told about it, life was harsh and you died in a whim. How that exactly with the elves were, if there lived any? Anything from elf or human, to dwarf and orc, all lived in the coldest corners of Middle Earth, unless you travelled to the deep south. There was a huge icesheet there too.

Quennar smiled: “If your heart desires the lands of ice and cold, well what keeps you from returning and never leaving?” It was a simple measurement, that needed little thought. Just to do it. “How I know? Just maps and accounts really. And an occasional telltale like yours.” More was not really to it, than gathering up the leads of information and mostly watch around. “What are you searching in these lands?” The Lossidil seemed rather lost in this place, so near Imladris. What was Keijo searching for? Quennar was not someone of great bearing, nor shared he names with the grandest around. What was old? A relative term. Maybe it meant something to the young? What were peppers?

“Why would you grow weary and tired? Where does that idea originates from?” asked Quennar raising an eyebrow. There was nothing back in Valinor to return to and a chapter long closed, he never thought about it, or considered it to be a false thought. Among the Laegrim, Laiquendi from former Ossiriand it was good living. His wife was from that people, so were his children. One time there had been a king, but since then no more. The land of the seven rivers, thought changed, was still there: Ossiriand. But the younger people could it today Lindon. “My time? As any other, what one can do to keep the community safe and secure. Not all towns of our kind are protected by magical rings, staffs, stones or other jewels. That comes just from wit and skill.”

Quennar had given the Laegrim very much and gotten the home he had never had before. He was one of them. His home was the most guarded secret of all elven realms, and usually Mithlond was the town where they lived, or so was said. Cirdan and his Sindarin Teleri resided there. “They build ships in the coast town for those who leave these lands. Perhaps you’ll be one day on one too?” Keijo was a bit too inquisitive, but the Laegrim loremaster knew to weave around it with a lot of delicacy. “Mithlond is the town in the west, most sea-elves live. Cirdan sits there. He said once hello to the wizards that came to Eriador.”