Ered Nimrais - The White Mountains (Free RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Ranger Tirdinen Duinion Raedor
About a day's hike in the foothills of Mt. Mindolluin

"Good night, Rome," Duinion called softly after the Trainee as he went to lie down. He glanced up at the sky to take note of the time, so that he'd know when it was time to wake Rome for his watch. Taking his bow, he set it nearby as he positioned himself so that he could watch over the camp without being too visible, should any intruders venture along. The ranger preferred to see them before they saw him, if such a thing happened. Once he had gotten situated, he leaned back and listened to the flow of water in the nearby stream, and to other sounds of the night. Listening for any noise that didn't belong, or that might indicate danger. Once, he had been very skittish about the various sounds of nocturnal forest creatures. But now, he had learned to identify them and he knew what was what. It made it much easier to relax when you knew that.

The next few hours passed quite peacefully. From time to time, Duinion stood up, stretched, and silently walked around the area. He didn't want to get sleepy and doze off on his watch, after all. He glanced up at the sky periodically, estimating the time and how many hours had passed so far. He figured they could afford the time to make their camps sort of early, and leave late, since there wasn't a big rush to return to the city. At last, he noted the star's position indicated it was about time to wake Rome. He had watched for nearly five hours by this point, he figured, and hopefully he could get about the same amount of sleep before they set off, but even if it was cut short, he'd survive well enough.

Standing up, he stretched his limbs and took a slow, careful look around the camp before moving over to where Rome was asleep. Pausing to yawn silently, he rubbed his tired eyes before kneeling. He gently shook Rome by the shoulder. "Romeran, wake up." He called softly. "It's time for your turn to watch." He moved back slightly, giving him some room. "It's been fairly quiet so far. Let us hope it remains that way," He mentioned, once he saw the young man stirring awake.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

It was unusual for Romeran to remember his dreams and he was typically a heavy sleeper. Tonight was no different and he quickly fell asleep not long after his head hit the pillow. That Romeran tended to fall asleep quickly and in almost any situation was a useful talent. He slept peacefully throughout Duinion's watch and his turn. The quiet noises of the mountain forests were soothing and nothing coming up during the first watch meant that Romeran slept peacefully.

Several moments after Duinion had started to wake, Romeran opened his eyes. He head been deeply in slumber and enjoying his rest. "Oh" he said, yawning. Romeran rubbed his eyes and sat up, stretching out his arms "I'm glad that it was quiet" he said, truthfully an hoping that it would continue that way. It took Romeran another few minutes to get himself together. He decided to stand up and walk around the camp for a bit and stretch his legs to help himself wake up.

It was still dark and cold and so Romeran took his wool cloak and wrapped it around himself and threw up the hood for warmth, having just recently departed a warm bed. Romeran decided to take a quick stroll down to the nearby water to splash his face and fill up his water bottle. The night sky was dark but the stars shone brightly through them and Romeran couldn't help but gaze up at them in wonder. The cold water from the river was a sudden shock but a welcome one and he felt more awake for it, despite the darkness and that Romeran usually preferred more than five hours of sleep.

The rest of the night went quietly with only the stirring of a few small animals and birds. Romeran spent some of the time walking but most of the time sitting. He sat apart from the camp a bit, mostly so as not to be tempted by the bedroll and as it was not raining. His wool cloak kept him warm despite the cool weather up in the mountain and a small breeze which had blown from the north. When the hour was getting closer to morning, he began to gather some tinder and firewood and start putting together a small fire. It would be a nice welcome from the chill and warming up some water they could make some tea to drink before the rest of the day's work and whatever Duinion had planned. The sun had not yet risen but it was getting close to five hours after his watch had begun. Since there was no further watch that night and since Romeran thought it was likely Duinion would rise by himself soon enough he decided not to wake him and instead began to work on lighting a fire and filling up a pot with water.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

It took a surprising amount of time to wake Rome, and Duinion was starting to worry about how well he would be able to stay awake once he got that way. But at last, he awakened and seemed to be aware of everything. Duinion smiled and moved back to give him room to climb out from under the shelter. "Yes, it was quiet." He nodded. "It will... hopefully... stay that way. Still, make sure you don't doze off, no matter how quiet it is." He warned softly.

After seeing that Rome was taking a moment to walk around and stretch, and wake himself up, he nodded slightly to himself and laid down to get comfortable in his bedroll. He lay quietly for a little while. Despite being tired, it took a little while to get to sleep, finding it difficult to turn the 'cautious ranger' part of his brain. At last, though, he dozed off listening to the night sounds around him. It seemed like only a few minutes passed before he awakened to the early dawn light filtering through the trees onto his face, and then the sound and smell of the fire crackling nearby wakened him further. He rubbed his eyes and sat up on one elbow, glancing around. A small smile came to his face as he saw that Rome had built the fire back up.

"Good morning." He stood and stretched his arms up to the sky, then reached his hands behind him and stretched his arms back before moving toward the fire. "I assume the night passed quietly, then?" He smiled as he sat near the fire.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Not long after Romeran had finished putting together the small fire had Duinion awoken as he had expected. Romeran hoped that the fire hadn't specifically woken him, although the morning light was already falling on their small camp which would have woken Duinion anyway. With the small fire crackling warmly, Romeran made space for his pot which he had filled with water for some tea. When Duinion came over and greeted him Romeran smiled.

"Good morning indeed" he said, looking around the campsite in the morning. Most people loved sunsets but Romeran liked sunrises and he was enjoying the soft morning sun as it slowly lit their camp. "Yes it was quiet, nothing much really stirred. We certainly could have gotten by without a watch but it's easy to say that in hindsight." Romeran said, placing the pot on the fire. "I'm boiling some water for tea, would you like some as well?" he asked, although he had already put in enough water for two people anyway, he would simply pour it out if Duinion wasn't interested.

"What's the plan for today?" Romeran asked eventually "Other than heading towards the herbs which we're gathering, wherever we're supposed to find those" he said, with a smile, he knew they were going vaguely but he hadn't encountered the particular plants in the wild before so was interested to see what they day had in store for them and how much further they would need to travel on their quest.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

"Mm, tea sounds very nice." Duinion glanced toward the pot in which the water was heating, wondering if Rome had brought tea leaves along, or if he had harvested something from the wild. "What sort of tea? There are many varieties and possibilities," He added, in case Rome wasn't aware of that.

Stretching his legs out as he got comfortable by the fire, he looked over to watch the colors of the sunrise, thoughtful. "Well, I thought we'd travel as far as we can, and hopefully by tomorrow we'll have found a meadow of sorts where we might find those herbs we need." He answered. "Along the way, I figured we could work on a few things, like identifying tracks or plants, and practicing navigation, things like that. Have you got anything in particular you'd like to practice?" he wondered, glancing back toward Rome.

"I thought I could also teach you a little about watching for signs of weather, like I mentioned last night." He added, having not forgotten that. "There are so many things one can learn from simply observing nature." He smiled, wishing he could've spent more of his childhood learning about such things, but then, he was still fairly young when he did begin. Pulling his pack closer, he dug out a cup to use for the tea. "What shall we have for breakfast, you think?"

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

The bag of leaves which Romeran pulled out of his pack contained aromatic small black dried leaves. “Just black tea” he said, handing the bag of tea leaves for Duinion to inspect should he desire. “I’m not much into herbal teas and the like although I know that many have different qualities.” Romeran still hadn’t done his medicinal training yet and he wondered now whether they would learn about remedial herbal teas and the like.

“That sounds like a reasonable plan.” Romeran pondered the question for a moment. “Navigation I think would be something I haven’t been able to practice as much in unfamiliar terrain.”
Although Romeran had seen now more places in the last few weeks than in the several years prior to that, he hadn’t spent much time navigating in the wilds. “I’ve been working on plant identification with my notes and some references books from the library.”

Romeran nodded his head about the weather “that seems like a particularly useful skill” he agreed. The water was beginning to come to a boil as Duinon fetched his cup. Romeran sprinkled some of the black leaves into his own cup and poured the boiling water over the leaves before offering Duinion to do the same. “Well we could have some of the food split with lunch. Or some of the food we brought with us. If we want to wait I’m sure we can find something while we walk?” Romeran said offering several ideas in rapid succession.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

"Black tea is fine," He answered. "There are some very nice herbal teas. You can use flower petals and fruit pieces, things like that, and make a very nice tasting tea. You can even make tea out of pine needles. I quite like the flavor of it, but it does have a more tangy.. or sappy? type feel to it. I guess it can be an acquired taste for some." He shrugged, putting some tea leaves into his cup, followed by hot water. He looked thoughtfully into his cup for a moment. "My wife used to like to use rose petals and lavender for tea." he smiled faintly. "She had a little patch of flowers and herbs that she grew, so she had easy access to things like that. Mint is another that she liked." He took a careful sip from his cup, figuring it had time by now to steep a little.

"How about we have some of what we caught yesterday, and if we need more by lunchtime we can supplement with what we brought? Unless we find something along the way that we can add. Greens are always a nice addition, if we can find the right kinds." He suggested. Taking a look up at the sky, he made a mental assessment about what the weather would likely be like by the end of the day. "How much attention have you ever paid to the clouds, Rome?" He wondered, curious if he'd ever watched the clouds drifting by, or simply ignored them.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

“Pine needle tea” Romeran said thinking for a moment “sounds interesting I suppose they are very fragrant.” He agreed. He wasn’t sure whether or not it would taste very good but made a mental note to try it at least. As Romeran poured the boiling water over the leaves he continued “I don’t have any strainers with me so drinking around the leaves will have to do” he said with a smile. It wasn’t something that bothered him much but some people might have been irritated by it.

“Mint sounds pleasant enough” he agreed “although rose petals sound a bit interesting, I think I’ve heard of rose water before so I suppose that’s not so outlandish.” Romeran finished pouring the water and blew on his tea to help it cool before taking a small sip. Romeran’s stomach growled quietly in agreement with Duinion’s suggestion. “Seems like fine reasoning to me” he concurred. Romeran began to eagerly remove the food from the previous night and began to eat a small amount while he finished his tea.

Looking up at the clouds as Duinion did Romeran paused for a moment. “Attention?” He asked, staring up at them now. “I mean I’ve laid under the clouds and watched them. I’m sure most people have. Compared them to various animals” he added the last part with a smile. Most people he figured had seen a cloud and thought it looked like a rabbit or a fox or some other creature. “But I’ve never thought much of it. I guess you can see the movement of the wind. And the dark grey clouds usually indicate rain. That’s something every farmer knows.” Romeran realized that perhaps he put more stock in the clouds than he thought.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

He smiled as Rome's answer revealed that he had paid more attention than he realized, to the clouds. "Yes, the dark grey clouds are a pretty good indication that rain is about to come down on you, especially if you see them moving quickly. There's probably a lot of wind, to move them like that. But you can also get a fairly good idea about rain even before they become dark like that. For instance, you know when the clouds look really puffy, like a wad of sheep's wool?" He glanced up, and pointed to one such cloud that looked like that. "Like that. That's harmless, but if you notice clouds that look like that, but towering up very tall, like a pillar, there's a storm coming. I couldn't tell you the reasoning behind it, but I've observed it often enough and had a few older rangers tell me the same." He explained, in between bites of food.

"Then there's other kinds of clouds, I can tell you more about those but those two are the main kinds you'll likely see. Other things to pay attention to are the temperature... if you notice a significant change in the temperature, usually colder, then there's a good chance there's going to be a storm, and quickly. Sudden changes in wind, that's another thing to notice. But those are fairly obvious things, I guess you've probably noticed some of those signs before, so I'll tell you a few lesser known ways of anticipating rain." He smiled, sipping his tea before pointing to their fire.

"Notice the smoke, how it's gently rising upward.. the breeze toys with it a little, but not much. If you're ever sitting at a campfire and you notice the smoke going downward, start looking for shelter if you don't want to get wet." He thought for a moment. "It isn't the wind that causes that, but I couldn't tell you with certainty why it does. I think it's something with the way the air changes when there's a storm coming. And you'll probably come to notice, when you start to think about it and pay attention more, that just before it rains, you can usually smell it coming. It's hard to really describe, but it seems like everything always smells...sharper, or something, shortly before it rains. Maybe it's the moisture in the air." He looked around. "The forest will show you some signs, too. Pinecones will close themselves up, leaves will curl up or flip over to show their undersides, things like that. Often, the animals will sense it too, and take cover before the rain comes, or you can listen to crickets, or if it's night, take a look at the moon.. there's many ways to watch for rain, if you know how."

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

There were more things to learn from the clouds and the surrounding wild life than Romeran had initially expected. In retrospect that seemed to be a common theme in his lessons with Duinion. Namely that there was almost always more to learn by observing one’s surroundings than initially met the eye. Romeran appreciated the attention to detail and the idea that with astute and patient observation a great deal could be gleaned from observing the surroundings.

With a greater eye for detail now Romeran glanced around looking for some of the signs which Duinon had just explained. It didn’t seem like any pine cones were sealing up and the birds and other animals were all out and about now getting through their own daily tasks. For a brief moment Romeran found himself daydreaming about what the animals were going to be up to that day. Did any of them have important missions to recover herbs for the healers? He presumed not, Romeran doubted that any other animals had healers like Minas Tirith, but it was an entertaining notion while it lasted.

Shortly thereafter Romeran snapped out of his daydream and looked over to Duinon again. “So much you can learn from careful observation” he said, still trying to take in some of the details. “Is it mostly the rain that you can tell from the clouds or are there other forecasts you can make from observing the clouds? Like how hot it will be or if it will be windy?” He wondered. Some of the elder farmers used to have a knack for predicting the weather and when there would be good days for planting. Romeran had never been able to get a clear answer from them, as they mostly explained that they ‘just knew’. Perhaps it was an intuition built over long years of experience but for which they had no real explanations.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion remained quiet while Rome was looking around. Giving the young man a few minutes to take in the things he'd told him, and to try and observe a few things for himself, he quietly sipped his tea and listened to the sounds around them. Birds chirping, squirrels chattering and hopping around in the branches, insects making their noises, and so on. Glancing up again, he thought about Rome's question. "Hm.. well, there are some things you simply can't predict, of course. One thing I remember someone telling me once, is that if there’s dew on the grass in the morning, it could be a sign that it’s going to be a clear day. Dew often forms after a cool and clear night. If dew has time to form on the ground, it means the clear skies let the earth cool so that the dew could form. If the night skies are pleasant, the following day is likely to be cloud-free too, I've noticed."

He thought for a bit. "A lot of things depend on the temperature, of course. If it's very cold, and you notice signs for rain, there's a good chance it'll snow, instead. But then it's harder to make an estimate about the weather, because when it's cold like that, you usually don't have leaves on the trees, and things like that." Thinking a moment, he remembered something else. "Game animals, like deer and rabbits, will usually eat heavily 12 to 24 hours before a winter storm, because they know food will be hard to find once snow blankets the ground. So if you're going hunting, you can plan to be in the woods half a day before the storm hits, when peak movement occurs. If you wait too late and go out just before the front arrives, game will likely be bedded down already. If birds are flying high, the weather is clear and calm. But if they're flying closer to the ground, it’s because the heavy air it difficult for them to fly any higher."

Considering on the other parts of his question, he took a moment to think of how to explain some of the things he'd gathered knowledge on, over the years. "You can get an idea about the temperature in a few ways," He nodded. "Listen for a cricket's chirping, for one. The hotter it is, the faster they chirp, for some reason. So you can count how many times a cricket chirps in 15 seconds, and then add 37. The number you get will be a close estimate of the outside temperature in degrees*. You can pay attention to yourself, and how you feel, too. If the air has a heavy, burdensome feel to it and you’re feeling lethargic, that can be a sign that storm front may be approaching. Ants are the same way. They are lazy and sluggish when it’s like that, too. On the other hand, if you feel energetic, the air is crisp and seems light, chances are it's going to stay nice and clear. That's also when ants are most busy and move faster." He smiled. "I'm sure there's other insects that follow similar patterns, but that's just an example. If you'd ever heard the saying “red sky at night, sailor’s delight,” there is some truth to it. A red or pink sunset hints at fair weather because skies are clear, and most storms approach from the west. The color is caused by dust in the dry, clear air."

Finishing his tea, he addressed the wind question. "If the wind suddenly picks up, with swirling, gusty breezes, a storm is coming. A light, steady wind is typically a sign of stable weather. The direction of the wind tells a lot, too." He continued. "East and northeast winds often indicate stormy weather ahead, while the opposite is true of West and northwest winds. They generally bring good weather; cool and crisp, the best winds of all for hunting deer. South winds often mean warm, humid air, and sometimes rain, too, though often of a gentler variety than east winds." He paused and fell quiet for a moment. It felt strange, how much he found himself talking when giving an answer to one of Rome's many, many questions, and it was a bit amusing. Partly because it reminded him of his own curiosity when he was a new recruit, years ago. "I think I'd better hold off on giving you too much information or you'll have too much to try and remember." He grinned and stood up. "Shall we pack up and get going, now that we've eaten?"

*Fahrenheit

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

There was a lot of information coming at him, far more than he had originally expected. Welcome information to be sure and Romeran did his best to remember what Duinion said. Romeran tried to recount the information back to Duinion as best as he could, a trick to solidify the memory. He soon, however, wished that he had his journal, a quill, and some ink to write it all down, but he had decided not to carry these, the quill and ink being both challenging to carry without damaging the quill or risk spilling the ink.

"I didn't expect there to be quite so much" he said with a smile "A lot of it I think is intuitive so probably not hard to remember, but I do wish I was able to take notes" he added, he would be sure to write it down as best as he could recall when they returned home. It would have to be put to memory eventually, however, if he wanted the knowledge to be useful.

While the information had slowed down Romeran's eating it had not stopped it completely and he quickly ate his portion of the food he had left over from the previous night, making sure to leave sufficient food for lunch later. Putting the food away, Romeran took the last sips of his tea as he listened to Duinion. With some of the left over boiling water, although at this point it was simply hot water, Romeran cleaned the inside of his cup and poured out the tea leaves along with the water.

"Packing up sounds good" he said, putting his cup away with the pot he had used to boil the water. Romeran packed up the rest of his belongings in his pack, taking care to put everything back in the proper order. "How many more nights until we arrive at where the herbs grow do you think?" he asked as he finished putting away his gear and hauling his pack on his back. He knew the plan was to go for longer than they had previously gone but he also knew they were looking for many different herbs which could grow in different regions.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion grinned, taking a guess that Rome hadn't quite expected such a flood of information. "You're right, a lot of it becomes intuitive as you get familiar with it. Don't worry about trying to remember everything I told you," He started to help pack up the camp. "I didn't just learn all of that overnight, you know, nor even in one week.. or even a year." He shrugged, pausing for a moment. "I'd guess your uncle has learned a lot of that same stuff, but maybe he didn't know how to explain it to you. Some of it comes from just observing your surroundings... every time this happens, this follows soon after. Others, well, I was fortunate to find others, who told me about things that I might never have actually realized on my own. Like the crickets." He paused, thinking about that. "Come to think of it, that might be the only useful thing I ever learned from that farmer I worked for." He mentioned. "I thought he was crazy, at the time. But I've found it to be true."

He was quiet and thoughtful as he put his things away and prepared his pack for traveling again. "It's hard to say, really," He answered Rome's latest question. Pausing to look up the mountain, he thought for a bit. "I'd guess that we'll likely find a meadow of some sort nestled between two mountains. So we're heading that way," He pointed toward where this mountain met with the next one in the range, "And hoping we find a meadow. And that in that meadow, will be the herbs we want. How long it takes us to get there depends a lot on how long we sit around talking," He joked, grinning. "I'd guess another night or two, maybe, with the pace you and I usually manage."

Once their camp was cleared and packed up, and he was satisfied that there were minimal traces of their having been there, Duinion set off again. There was no need to rush, but he did hope not to take more than a week out here, so that he could get back and spend some time with his daughter again. So while he wasn't worried about lingering in camp a little later, he didn't want to spend all day there. He kept up a steady pace, though not too swift so that he could pay attention to whether there were dangers nearby, and not frighten away any wildlife that may be good for hunting.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Romeran nodded as Duinion continued. He was glad to hear, in a way, that it would take some time to learn all these signs, for them to become instinctive. On one hand it meant that he need not feel bad for feeling overwhelmed by the information. On the other hand, it meant that there was still a great deal for him to learn and that truly his education would never end. Romeran decided to keep his concerns small and focus on the day that he had ahead of him and not think too much about the years it might take to master his craft.

"My uncle wasn't much for explaining things, at least not to me" he said. His uncle was more for ordering than explaining and he brooked no debate. Romeran had learned at a young age not to question his uncle, even if out of curiosity as his uncle took it as a challenge. Romeran was glad that Duinion did not seem the same way. "I'm glad to learn them though, it was a very useful skill to forecast the weather as a farmer I can already see how it would be valuable to a ranger."

After packing up his things, Romeran listened to Duinion explain their rough plan. Romeran nodded listening trying to mentally take notes of the information. Meadows growing in the saddle between mountains where useful herbs could grow. Perhaps this information would come useful in the future. Romeran peered off towards the mountain where Duinion was pointing. Having spent so little time near the mountains as a child, Romeran still found himself at awe in the beauty of the mountains, treeless and still covered in snow at the tops. It was hard to imagine that they were still so close.

"That doesn't sound too bad" he said, hauling his pack and heading after Duinion. Even though Romeran was still new to the city and the mountains were so vast and different that he was glad to be out here and no longer within the walls of Minas Tirith. Although he was carrying a fair weight, especially in the form of a cast iron pan, Romeran hardly noticed the burden as he was light in mood and excited to be there.

Shortly into their walk Romeran peered over to Duinion. "Do you think I should keep my bow strung?" he asked, catching up to Duinion, having been walking a few paces behind him. "I had unstrung it last night but hadn't thought about it in the morning." he explained.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Hiking in the mountains

Glancing over at Rome's bow, Duinion gave some thought to Rome's question. "Well, it's easier to carry like that, of course. Yet, if we happen upon some game, or unexpected enemies, it would be more ready to use if you kept it strung." He gave a shrug. "As I said, I keep mine strung if I'm out in the woods, in case of a situation like that.. even at night, in case I need it in a hurry. But it's up to you." He answered, then added, "Keeping it strung for a day, or even a few days, isn't going to cause any harm, if that's what you're worried about. It'd be more at risk if you, for instance, left it strung all the time, for months on end or something like that, then I would suggest you might consider giving it a rest, like at night, when you're safely in your dorm."

The rest of the day was uneventful, as was the next, and so on the third day it was drawing toward noon when they reached a clearing in the trees. Beyond, a rolling field of flowers and grass spread out, a glistening lake nestled in its midst. On the far end were more mountains, rising up majestically with white caps, but only a few trees dotted the meadow here. Duinion stopped and smiled, breathing in deeply. Flowers scented the air, and bright colors speckled the green, indicating a variety of wildflowers that thrived here. "Beautiful, isn't it?" He glanced at Rome, pleased to have found the meadow he was searching for. He just hoped the flowers they were searching for would be here. "I say we find someplace to make camp, and then begin our search, what do you think?"

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen
As Duinion was speaking, Romeran made up his mind and decided to string his bow. He reached back behind him and dug his hand into the pocket in the side of his pack, all without stopping, keeping pace with Duinion and listening to him finish his explanation. From the pocket he retrieved the waxed bowstring and he began to unravel it. When he was finished, Romeran reached for his bow which was strapped to the other side of his pack and came loose with the tugging of a few strings which had tied the bow to his bag. Unfortunately Romeran did have to pause momentarily to brace to string the bow, but he had been practicing doing so and was able to string the bow successfully on the first try. Without taking any additional time, Romeran sprang forward and jogged for several steps to catch up with Duinion. "It seems best to be prepared" he agreed. They were going further out now and they had already decided to keep watch.

Over the next few days Romeran kept his bow strung and they kept a watch at night, he was becoming more used to it and as they moved further away from the city it began to feel more and more necessary. The hike so far had been enjoyable although walking in the mountains was more strenuous than he had expected. After the first few days, however, his legs adjusted to the terrain and the up-and-down nature of hiking in the mountains. The beauty was still breathtaking and Romeran was glad that they had decided to venture into the mountains behind the city, he had never seen the white-peaked mountains so close before, let along walked among them.

On the third day when they cleared the trees and reached the meadow, Romeran was sure they had found where they meant to go. There was no way that some place so beautiful did not contain precious herbs. He stood admiring the view for several moments before he registered that Duinion had asked a question. Romeran had to shake his head to bring himself back "beautiful hardly seems sufficient" he said himself also lacking the appropriate words to describe the scene in front of him. "That sounds reasonable to me," he agreed "hopefully some place with a view of this" he added with a smile.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

A meadow in the mountains

Duinion laughed lightly. "I don't think we could go anywhere in this meadow and not have a view of that." He answered. "How about you pick out our campsite?" He grinned. "I'll work on gathering some wood for a fire." In the meadow, there were few trees, so it would be advantageous to stock up on wood for their camp now, so they wouldn't have to travel far from camp later during the night, if the fire began to burn low. One thing Duinion couldn't help feeling a bit paranoid about was ensuring that they needn't go far from their campfire in the middle of the night, where anything might be lurking. He didn't speak his concern out loud, but hoped the trainee would pick up on the sensibility of this.

While Romeran went to choose a spot for their campsite, Duinion set off along the edges of the treeline, searching for fallen branches, deadwood, and sticks that would serve for the fire. Thankfully, they had plenty of daylight left before they would need the wood, so he planned to make at least one other trip to gather some, perhaps Rome could help on the second trip, so they would have a bigger supply. Once his arms were full and he could carry no more, the ranger left the treeline and went in search of his companion, hoping that he had found a suitable place for camping by now, and that they would have a reasonably sheltered area from the wind, and potential rain. He thought it smelled like it could rain in the next few hours, but it could pass them by, too.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Finding a place to camp was fairly easy as Duinion had suggested. Water nearby was usually a first priority and it didn't take Romeran too long to find a trickling stream. He found a spot for camp that was close to the tree line but still within the meadow itself. He put down his pack and began to stake out a place together. Looking up at the sky there were a few clouds "I wonder if it will rain?" he asked himself, trying to recall some of the information which Duinion had imparted earlier. It certainly looked possible. But the air did not feel humid and the clouds were not yet so many and did not cover even half the sky. It could rain, but it was not a sure thing, he decided. Better to put up a tarp and cover for shelter if there's a chance.

As Duinion had gone off to look for firewood, Romeran walked around nearby the trees of where he had set his things down for camp in order to find a suitable set of large sticks/small logs which he could use to hold up the tarp. It took him a few minutes but eventually he found as suitable candidate and lugged it back towards the cap. Duinion was still not yet within eyesight of where he had laid camp but he wasn't worried, it hadn't been long. Soon he had found a suitable tree on the end of the wood line and, using the hammer side of his axe, pitched the log he had found into the ground to act as the other anchor.

On his way back to the woods to find a suitable log to act as the cross-beam, Romeran sighted Duinion off in the distance carrying a bundle of wood. Romeran waved his hands and called out "I found a good site over that way" he said, pointing towards where he had started to construct the shelter. "there's running water nearby and I'm just putting together some shelter in case it rains" he said, looking up again at the sky. Romeran continued to head towards the trees in search of a suitable crossbeam and let Duinion carry the wood he had found towards the campsite. Hopefully he would be able to finish pitching the tent shortly after Duinion had completed gathering the fire wood.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

As he scanned his gaze across the meadow, it wasn't difficult to spot Rome, especially when he started waving his arms around like that, and called out to him. He smiled and gave a nod, although he wasn't sure whether that was very noticeable from where he was. "Good!" He replied back, altering his course to head in that direction. The wood was rather heavy, so he tried to lengthen his strides so as to cover more ground and get there more quickly. Before long, he dumped the load of wood onto the ground, near the campsite that Rome had chosen. He took a moment to inspect the site, just to double-check. This was an unfamiliar area, and he wasn't sure exactly what sort of critters to expect. Snakes, bugs.. who knows. Everything checked out, though, and he nodded slightly to himself in satisfaction with Rome's choice.

For a moment, he stood quietly surveying the scene before him, enjoying the open air, the beautiful mountains in the background, the sweet smell of the wildflowers spread across the meadow... inhaling deeply, he smiled, enjoying it all. After stretching his arms for a moment, he set off back toward the trees to gather more wood. After that, he figured he ought to see about catching some supper for them, while Rome finished up the camp, unless Rome finished first, then he'd have him assist in catching supper. The more practice, the better one got at something, after all.

After some time, the campsite was finished, and Duinion had a satisfactory pile of wood, which he had carefully arranged under one end of the tent that Rome had put up, so that it would stay dry. They'd caught some fish from the stream, and Duinion was preparing the fish for cooking while Rome got the fire ready for cooking them. He was glad that Rome had had the foresight to set up a shelter, and that it was plenty big enough for them both. "I think it may rain, later on." He mentioned, glancing up at the sky. There were a few more clouds than before, and he inhaled slowly. "This is a good time to pay attention to how the air smells. You can't quite smell that particular 'just before the rain' smell you're probably familiar with, but you may notice that the flowers and other scents are a little stronger than they were, say an hour ago." It might take more than a little practice at distinguishing the difference, of course, but it was worth a try, to get the idea of it. "Once we start cooking the fish, of course, we probably won't smell anything but the fish cooking." He grinned. "That's why I mentioned it now."

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

It hadn't been too hard to find a suitable log to act as a crossbeam, although the one he found, while already knocked down, was still too large to pick up and carry. Romeran extracted his axe from his belt and began cutting at alternating angles to break the log down into a more reasonable size for him to carry back to the cap. While Romeran was a particularly strong man both for navigating the log through the brush and for conserving energy it seemed prudent to cut the log down to a more reasonable size before moving it towards the camp. It didn't take long as Romeran's sharp axe and practiced hand made short work of the log. He took a few minutes to quickly knock off several of the smaller branches preventing them from hooking onto things as he trekked back towards the camp.

With the campsite finished, Romeran had decided to pitch the tarp around the shelter as well, they had already discussed earlier the possibility of rain and it seemed a prudent decision. Duinion seemed to tacitly approve as he had not made any constructive suggestions to the campsite, Romeran took that as a good sign that he had not missed anything. He must have practiced enough now as he managed to finish setting up camp with enough time to spare to help Duinion catch dinner, and besides it was good practice for him for fishing was far less familiar to him than farming.

Romeran made special attention to the smell of his surroundings when Duinion mentioned it. Truly it did seem that the flowers which he had not noticed earlier smelled more strongly, even the smell of grass, more noticeable in after the morning dew or once it had been cut, was more prominent. He wondered why that might be, but nevertheless it seemed a useful indicator. "Well I suppose we should get this fire together and the fish cooking sooner rather than later" he added, hurrying along with the fire. With a big enough fire unless the rain came down heavily they ought to at least have enough heat to cook the fish, even if it meant cooking on embers while camped under the tarp. With that in mind, Romeran had intentionally placed the fireplace reasonably close to the shelter both to possibly provide warmth in the night, if they needed, but also such that it, and by consequence the food, could be tended to from the cover of the tarp which could be especially valuable if the rain came down heavier than expected.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

After building a fish trap, Duinion had gone to explore around the nearby area, and found a few more items to add to the meal. Before long, they had caught a couple of fish, they soon had them cooked and ready to eat. The meal was delicious, supplemented with a few wild herbs to season the fish, and whatever wild vegetables that they had found along the way. Some frogs were 'singing' along the edges of the lake, but it wasn't so noisy as to be bothersome. Duinion spent a little while honing the edges of his daggers after the meal, while fighting off mosquitoes now and then. As the light began fading, he put away his things and fixed up his bedroll. Since Rome was taking the first watch, he wanted to get to sleep early. The sunset was beautiful, with many clouds gathering on the horizon, but he knew that it wouldn't be long before it began to rain. There was a bit of wind, and he suspected it could end up being a storm.

"It's going to be difficult to tell the time, with the clouds covering up the stars," He mentioned. "If you start getting sleepy, just wake me. I've gone without sleep before, I'll be fine if my sleep is cut short." He assured him. "Good night, try not to get too wet." With that said, he made himself comfortable, pulling the blankets up. He hoped they would have a peaceful enough night, and could get started on gathering herbs in the morning. He'd already spotted at least one ironwort plant while exploring earlier, which was encouraging. Feeling hopeful that they'd be able to gather plenty of herbs to bring back to the city, he gradually drifted off, listening to the frogs and soon after, the rain pattering on the tarp above him.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Cooking the fish had gone well, Romeran had, as usual, brought a few herbs and spices along with him from the city, something which had become a habit for him. The fragrant herbs gave the white fish a pleasant flavor as the roasted it over the fire. Romeran busied himself with cleaning up after cooking when they were done and while Duinion whetted his knives. As he was taking the first watch he would have plenty of time to take care of his own gear so he washed the dishes and cleaned up the remnants from the fish -- far enough away from their campsite so as not to bring unwarranted scavengers. They had come across a truly beautiful lake and meadow high up in the mountains, Romeran had never suspected that such a place existed. If it weren't for having hiked up this far and the mountains which were so close to them Romeran might have even mistaken this for a lake down in the plains.

When he came back to the camp, Duinion was getting ready to sleep. He pointed out the cloud cover above and Romeran looked up. Truly the clouds were coming in, slowly but surely over towards the moon and the stars. Their concealment of these light sources would make it challenging to know when midnight would be. Duinion was aware of this and suggested that Romeran wake him when he gets tired. Romeran nodded but made a mental note not to wake up Duinion too early, not only would it be embarrassing for him but they would be better off if both he and Duinion were equally well rested. Despite what Duinion claimed, and not that he didn't believe the older ranger, Romeran didn't like the idea of his guide and teacher being sleep deprived.

The humidity in the air increased notable as the darkness came on and along with the breeze which seemed to follow the clouds, it became colder around the campsite. Romeran wrapped his cloak around his shoulders as he sat across the campsite from where Duinion slept. Romeran had sharpened his knives earlier already and was now working diligently but slowly on his axe. Generally there wasn't much need for a standard axe to be terribly sharp, but when used both for woodcraft and combat, it couldn't help to be sharp. Peering up in the clouds provided little evidence as to how long he had been sitting their, but based on his rough estimate of how long it had taken him to sharpen his knives, not long enough yet, perhaps only a few hours.

It began to rain gently as Romeran finished honing his axe and put the leather cover on it and slung the weapon in its sheath at his hip. Instead of moving under the tarp where Duinion lay, Romeran pulled up the hood on his cloak, taking advantage of the waterproof waxed leather on the exterior of his cloak. The rain wasn't hard enough to drench the young ranger and it was generally best when the watch stood somewhat apart from camp, adjusting their eyes and ensuring that any attack wouldn't take them both by surprise.

A few hours later, or as best as Romeran could guess, the rain had picked up only slightly but it was pitch black by this point. By his estimation it was past midnight and in the first hour or two of the day but not soon enough for any sunlight especially with the cloud cover. Romeran stood up and walked quietly over to Duinion. He got just outside of arm's reach from Duinion and knelt to his level, not wanting to startle the ranger, "Ranger Duinion, I think my watch is over" he said, hoping that he had not erred in his timing.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

The sound of the gentle rain was a relaxing sound. It penetrated through his subconscious, manifesting in Duinion's dreams as the swirl of a current in a very familiar stream.

The water swept by, merrily without care, despite the cares of those who sat upon its banks. A faint sound of hoof beats seemed to echo in his memory, though perhaps it was really the sound of raindrops drumming upon the tarp. The heartache seemed distant, but it was there, mingled with the guilt of his failures.

“You should have let me die with my friends!” The despairing words of a drunken friend rang through his mind, stinging just as harshly as they did then.

If only he had gotten there sooner. If only he'd had his bow ready...

“Some lessons are learned in the hardest way possible. But, those are often the hardest ones to forget.” Her voice was soft, but full of understanding.

He looked down at their joined hands, then up again. With her gaze focused downward, a curtain of dark hair hid her face, and seemed to taunt him. Why could he not see her face? That troubled him, and he focused on the water again as it parted and swirled around the stones that rose up from the shallow water.

“Duinion.”

Her voice, though gentle and soft, cut through the mental anguish and called to him, as if compelling him to turn and look at her. He did, and became lost in those lovely gray eyes that gazed at him with sorrow and kindness. “Stop asking why, Duinion,” She whispered in his ear, her arms wrapped around him.

He found himself in even more wonder of this beautiful, unique, wonderful girl. How was it that she knew just what to say to help him get through this?

"...Duinion, I think my watch is over,"

These words clashed with his memory of how that conversation had gone. There were large chunks of it missing, some things had been in the wrong order, but that particular sentence didn't even belong there. Confused, his subconscious mind tried to place when such a thing had been said. Gradually, his consciousness withdrew from the world of dreams, and he slowly blinked his eyes open. It was dark... too dark to see anything. His breath caught in his throat, tensing as he stared at the void of darkness around him. It took a couple of seconds to register that it was also raining. The faint smell of wildflowers mingling with the scent of rain next hit him, and he remembered where he was. Then he was aware of someone kneeling near him. Romeran. Right, that's who had spoken. That made a lot more sense. He relaxed as his brain confirmed where he was and who was with him. And, though he wanted to roll over and go back to sleep now that the puzzlement had been solved, Duinion's sleepy brain put together what the words meant. Rome's watch was over, which meant it was Duinion's turn. "Hm, right." He mumbled, still a bit sleepy as he sat up with a sigh. After taking a moment to stretch, he put a hand out to catch some of the rain water, and rubbed it onto his face.

"I trust all was quiet for your watch?" He assumed that must be the case, if he hadn't been awakened until the watch was over. But it didn't hurt to ask, just to check. Once confirmed that all had gone well, the ranger nodded and pulled his cloak around himself. It ought to keep out the worst of the rain, at least. "Sleep well," He told Rome quietly, fastening his quiver into place at his side. As Romeran got comfortable under the shelter, Duinion pulled the hood of his cloak up over his head, and tried to hold his bow under the waxed fabric as he headed out into the rain to try and find a semi sheltered spot apart from their camp, where he could watch without getting too wet. He grew thoughtful as he gazed out across the lake, listening to the sounds of the night and the storm, remembering the events from that dream. Her kind words, how she had helped him deal with things. It had been an interesting coincidence that she had come along at just that moment, that day so long ago. That she had come into his life at all had been an incredible blessing he had never expected. But why did he dream about that now? That all happened ages ago. He hadn't thought about that incident in years.

A flicker of lightning briefly flashed in the sky as Duinion looked out across the meadow, from his spot beside a thick-foliaged tree. Moments later, a low rumble of thunder rolled in the distance. Glancing around, he guessed that the storm was moving their way, and would be upon them in an hour or two, probably. He debated whether he wanted to stay out in it for the sake of better watching the camp, or move under the tarp and not have quite as good a view, should any dangers come upon them. Standing under a tree while there was lightning certainly didn't seem like a great idea. He frowned, wide awake now that the cold rain had been hitting his face. He waited to see if there would be any more lightning. As the minutes passed by, the storm gradually drew nearer. A few gusts of wind drove the rain straight at him, and another, bigger fork of lightning split the sky, closely followed by a clash of thunder.

Maybe an hour after standing out in the storm, another jagged fork of lightning split the sky, followed closely by another, then a double clash of thunder. Duinion swiftly ducked under the edge of the shelter at that point, deciding the lightning was a bit too close for comfort. Hopefully, the storm had not awakened Rome, but Duinion was definitely no longer sleepy, himself. The fire was quenched by this point, and he saw no point in even trying to revive it. The blankets ought to be warm enough, he hoped.

The storm continued for a little while. Duinion stepped out from the shelter every few minutes to take a brief walk around and check the area before returning. In this way he waited out the worst of the storm while still keeping vigilant for attack. After another hour or so, the lightning and thunder had moved on, although the rain was still coming down pretty steadily. He moved out from under the shelter and took up his place under the tree again, half-wishing they had set up a secondary shelter for the sentry. He had guessed it would rain, maybe even storm, but he hadn't planned quite as well as he might have. Perhaps they'd alter that in the morning, in case it rained any more while they were here. He took a glance up, thoughtfully, at the tree, picturing how he might string up a shelter, just enough to keep the sentry from getting too drenched, without such a structure being too obvious.

Turning his attention back toward the land, he scanned the meadow again, paying special attention to the treeline, though it was so dark it was difficult to see much. Then he turned his gaze across the lake, squinting to try and keep the rain out of his eyes. A moment later, he blinked, wiped a hand across his face, and peered more closely. Did something just move, or was that his imagination? He frowned, staring intently at the spot. Maybe it was just a boulder. Perhaps he'd only seen the shadow of that tree near the boulder, moving in the wind. Regardless, a shiver went down his back, and he tilted his head and tried to get a look from a slightly different angle, one hand gripping the handle of his bow while the fingers of the other felt for the arrows in his quiver, just in case. After staring for several minutes, he finally relaxed slightly, and turned to scan the meadow again.

Then he froze, feeling the hair on the back of his neck rise up. There was something in the meadow that hadn't been there before, some distance away still but too close for comfort. It was large, though he could only see the general bulk of it, from here. The creature was still far across the meadow, but he didn't like that it seemed to be moving toward them. Not steadily, as if it were aware of them, but in more of a meandering way, as if it were just wandering. But if it continued the way it was going, it would come upon them before long. Grimacing, the ranger mentally berated himself for having spent so long staring at one spot, while whatever this was had been moving nearer, unnoticed. It must have come out of the treeline. Was it a bear? It didn't move quite like a bear, and if it was, then it was definitely a very large bear. His arrow clicked softly onto the string, and he swiftly brushed rain out of his eyes, trying to get a better look at the thing through the darkness. Then, somewhere on the other side of one of the mountains, a branch of lightning lit up the sky. The brief flicker gave him just enough light to see that it was... a troll!

Pulse racing, the sight of the monster set Duinion's mind racing frantically. What to do? He'd faced orcs plenty of times in Ithilien, and during the battle in the Pelennor... but trolls? Those were far less common in his experience. They were highly dangerous, even against skilled warriors... and Rome was still in training. Shoot, this was bad. Having so little experience with trolls, he was a bit unsure how difficult they would be to kill, and decided he would much rather not try to take it on by himself. Besides which, he thought it might be a lot better to alert Rome to the threat, and perhaps..could they sneak away and avoid a fight? Would that be the best option? All the while he was debating, the creature was roaming nearer. It wouldn't be long before it discovered their shelter. Hastily darting under the shelter, Duinion carefully shook Rome while putting a hand lightly over his mouth to stifle any potential sounds he might make while waking. "Romeran, wake up," He whispered with urgency. "Shh, there's danger near." He told him, removing his hand once he was sure that Rome was awake enough to heed his warning. "We need to get away from here, quickly. Grab your bow... make sure it's ready." He instructed him in a whisper, hoping the trainee would keep quiet so not to alert the troll to their presence.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Romeran turned to Duinion and shrugged. "Nothing much to report. My watch was uneventful," he said, letting out a small sigh. It had been a quiet night, and Romeran was looking forward to getting some rest. He made his way over to the shelter they had put together earlier, grateful for the protection it provided from the elements. Romeran crawled into his sleeping blankets and pulled them tightly around himself, feeling the weariness of the day finally catch up with him.

As he drifted off to sleep, Romeran's mind wandered back to his farm. In Romeran's dream, he was working on building a fence around his farm under the scorching sun. The fence needed to be reinforced as there had been reports of a pack of wild dogs attacking the neighboring farms. As he worked, he could feel the heat from the sun bearing down on his skin, causing him to sweat profusely.

Just as he had finished the first section, the sky grew dark, and the rain began to pour down. At first, the coolness of the rain was a relief, but soon the ground beneath him became saturated and turned to mud. Romeran had to work even harder to keep his footing in the slippery terrain, his feet sinking into the mud with every step. The rain soaked his clothes and washed away the sweat, but it didn't alleviate the heat. The rain was a torrential downpour, drenching everything in sight. The storm seemed to have come out of nowhere, and Romeran was caught off guard. He tried to hurry, but the mud was too much of an obstacle.

In the dream, Romeran could feel the exhaustion creeping in, his muscles aching from the toil. He wondered if he would ever finish the fence, or if he would be caught in the storm forever. The rain continued to pour down, and Romeran was beginning to feel hopeless. Finally, he woke up with a start, feeling disoriented and confused.

In his sleep, Romeran tossed and turned as the storm outside raged on, the wind howling and the rain battering against the walls of their shelter. The fire that had been burning outside was now just a pile of smoldering embers, barely giving off any heat. With a shiver, Romeran reached for his blanket and pulled it tightly around himself, seeking refuge from the storm both inside and out. And as the rain continued to fall and the wind continued to blow, he drifted deeper into his slumber, lost in the discomfort of his own dreams.

Romeran groggily woke up to the urgent sound of Duinion's voice. He rubbed his eyes and blinked several times before fully registering what was happening. The urgency in Duinion's tone made him quickly rise, adrenaline coursing through his veins. Without asking any questions, Romeran quietly made his way through his belongings in the shelter and retrieved his bow and arrows from his bag. He had been trained to respond to any potential danger quickly and effectively, and he knew that every second counted.

Once he was ready, Romeran wiped the sleep from his eyes and asked Duinion in a hushed voice, "What's the danger?"

His mind raced, trying to think of all the possible threats that could be lurking in the forest. Was it an orc raid? A pack of wolves? Poachers hunting illegally in the forest? Or could it be something even worse, like a troll? Romeran knew that he had to be prepared for anything, and he waited anxiously for Duinion's response, his heart pounding in his chest.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

"Shhh," Duinion hushed the trainee, worried he would speak too loud, or too much. As quietly as possible, he informed the young man, "There's a troll wandering through the meadow, heading in our direction." He was glad the fire had been doused by now, but carefully stomped out any remaining embers, and hoped the smell of smoke wouldn't draw the monster's curiosity. He glanced around, thinking swiftly. This was only supposed to be a simple trip to gather a few flowers and herbs! While he was somewhat glad he wasn't alone, at the same time, Duinion was annoyed at himself for having brought the trainee along, though there had been no way of knowing there would be a troll lurking around. Perhaps this one had fled into the mountains after the war, he wondered vaguely. Whatever the case, it didn't matter. What mattered was, they needed to find someplace safe. Rome didn't have the training yet to face anything of this sort, and Duinion's first priority was ensuring that the trainee was not in danger.

"Come," He whispered, urging Rome to come along with him. They would abandon their camp and hope for the best. If the troll found it, then perhaps it would be distracted by their camp, and delay it long enough for them to get away. If their belongings got damaged, then so be it; better their belongings than themselves. He guided the trainee along the lake shore where he remembered seeing a cluster of trees, thinking perhaps if they could get to a forested area, they could hide, and the more distance they got between themselves and the troll, the better their chances were of evading it entirely.

Glancing back, he felt his stomach tighten at the fact he could not see where the troll was anymore. The darkness concealed it too well, and he struggled to fight a bit of anxiety that threatened to rise up. Instead, he readied an arrow just in case, and hoped Rome remembered his lessons in stealth. They would need to be extra silent in their evacuation of the campsite, just in case that troll became alerted to their presence. Yet, at the same time, he feared the thought of not moving swiftly enough. Regardless, he made sure that Romeran stayed ahead of him, so that Duinion brought up the rear, and pointed the trainee toward the cluster of trees that Duinion was hoping to hide in.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Romeran felt a surge of fear as Duinion whispered about the troll that was heading their way. He looked around, trying to spot the monster, but the darkness made it impossible. He was only a trainee, after all, and he wasn't prepared for a situation like this. Romeran followed Duinion as he urged him to leave their campsite and find a safe place. He tried to move as quietly as possible, but his heart was pounding so hard that he was afraid the troll would hear it. Romeran's mind raced with thoughts of how he had let Duinion down and how he should have been more prepared for something like this. But he pushed those thoughts aside, focusing on the task at hand. He kept his eyes on Duinion, following his every move and trusting that the experienced ranger would lead him to safety.

Shortly after leaving the camp, Duinion and Romeran switched places with the recruit taking the lead at Duinion’s guidance. Romeran's heart was racing as he followed Duinion's instructions on where to go. He tried to focus on moving quietly and avoiding stepping on anything that might make a sound, but he struggled to make a good pace and could hear Duinion close behind him. He found himself stumbling over rocks and twigs, once making a small noise that made him cringe in fear. As he looked over his shoulder, he saw Duinion nock an arrow, and he quickly followed suit, pulling his bow from his back and readying an arrow. The size and shape of the bow made it more difficult to move quickly and quietly, and Romeran found himself struggling to avoid hitting branches and leaves as he moved through the forest.

Despite the difficulty, Romeran was grateful for the opportunity to practice his stealth skills, and he pushed himself to move as silently as possible. He tried to keep his breathing even, reminding himself of the lessons Duinion had taught him, and he forced himself to focus on the task at hand. As they reached the cluster of trees, Romeran felt a wave of relief wash over him. He crouched down beside Duinion, panting slightly from the exertion, and waited for further instructions. He knew that they were still in danger and that they needed to remain alert, but for the moment, he was glad to have made it to safety.

“Do you think we lost it?” Romeran asked, as quietly as he possibly could but still be audible. Romeran felt like his heart was pounding louder than his voice, at least it felt like it in his own head.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

They made it into the woods, much to Duinion's relief, but they weren't out of the figurative woods yet, so to speak. It was darker under the tree canopy, and he was nervous. He couldn't tell where the troll was, and he heard no sounds to indicate anything. At least the rain had lightened up to a drizzle and didn't penetrate through the leafy roof, but it had rained fairly hard that night and the ground was wet. He was glad for that, actually; it meant the leafy deadfall wouldn't be as crunchy and noisy, but rather soft and muted underfoot. Still, they needed to get as much distance as possible between them and the troll.

Duinion had plenty of experience by now with moving in a forest swiftly, silently, and without getting his bow or other equipment caught up in the trees and underbrush. But, he realized, Romeran did not, and hoped that wouldn't become any sort of problem. He paused to look and listen for a moment as Romeran went onward, wondering where that troll was now. Had it discovered their camp? Had it stopped to investigate, or had it decided to search for them? He tried to remember anything he knew about trolls, but most of what he had faced in the past were orcs and Haradrim and servants of the Dark Lord, trying to invade Ithilien. He couldn't recall ever dealing with trolls during his years as an Ithilien ranger. There had been trolls present during the Battle, but he hadn't had to fight any of those, thank goodness. He remembered that there had been large mountain trolls bearing that enormous battering ram that had torn open the gates of the city. Was this one of those that had run off into the mountains during the aftermath of the battle?

Feeling a sudden chill come over him, Duinoin hurried to catch up with Romeran, fearing they were in serious danger. He wanted to get away from this place, fast. Find somewhere a little safer, if possible. He shouldn't have brought the trainee along on this trip, he berated himself, worrying about how this could turn out. And suddenly he wondered if there might be more than one troll. Hopefully not! He took the lead again but made sure to keep Romeran close, trying to avoid speaking any more than necessary, communicating mostly by light nudges, as it was too dark here to use any sort of visual signals. And suddenly, before them, an even more solid darkness loomed. Duinion stopped abruptly at the opening yawning before them, eyes widening slightly as a horrible odor from within assailed him. A smell of decay and filth... he immediately recoiled a couple of steps, tensing as he reached out to grab hold of Rome's arm to stop him moving further. A cave... A large one, from what he could tell... and judging by the smell, there was something dead within, or possibly several somethings. That did not bode well. Staring into the depths of darkness, fear gripped hold of him. He felt almost suffocated for a moment... despite not being all that strong, the smell seemed overwhelming to him, reminding him far too strongly of his worst times in childhood. After a great inner struggle, Duinion gave a quick shake of his head, trying to clear away those awful memories, and focus on the present. "We went the wrong way..." He whispered as he realized that this must be the troll's hideout during the day.

No sooner had he said these words, than he heard a noise somewhere behind them. A branch broke under a heavy footfall. Something was coming. The troll. It was approaching! "Go!" he whispered urgently, practically dragging the trainee along with him as he swiftly chose a direction; to the right. He set off with as much speed as he could manage while pushing Rome ahead of him, drawing an arrow from his quiver as he moved swiftly, bringing up the rear. With any luck, they might make it to the clearing and have enough light to see what they were doing. With even greater luck, the troll would merely go into its cave and ignore their existence entirely, and they'd escape without any further trouble. he found this possibility extremely doubtful, and he wasn't about to count on such a thing happening. If nothing else, he wanted to make sure Rome would get out of this safely and was hastily trying to think of what to tell him to do. Should they stick together, or separate and try to draw the monster toward himself? After a swift inner debate, he decided it was probably best to put Rome as far away from the danger as possible, since he had done barely any weapon training.

"Whatever hap-" He was cut off from giving instructions to the trainee, when the troll itself leaped out in front of them with a terrifying roar of foul breath, catching him by surprise. Had it sneaked around them while they were moving through the forest, or were there two of them!? "RUN!" Duinion instinctively fired the arrow at the troll, toward the sound of its roar, while beginning to retreat backward hastily. But the darkness around them made aiming difficult and he wasn't sure where the arrow would strike... and if all he'd heard of trolls was true, then their skin would be hard as stone and impossible to pierce with arrows or any weapon that was not enchanted by elven magic or some such thing. That meant he'd need to aim for vulnerable places like the eyes and mouth. Hopefully, Rome would run off and get some distance between them, so he would at least be safer, but what if Duinion got hurt, or killed... what then? He had to do all that he could to prevent the troll from getting to the young man. Another arrow swiftly replaced the first on his string, waiting on a clear shot to fire at the monster. "Come on you smelly idiot, I'm over here! Come and get me!" He yelled at the monster to draw its attention toward himself, rather than Romeran. He nearly stumbled backward over a root, caught himself, and began circling around in the opposite direction of where Romeran should be if he had run, and hoped the trainee would do as he said and run from this danger he was not yet prepared for.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Romeran was taken aback when Duinion suddenly overtook him. He had thought they were safe, but it was clear from Duinion’s behavior that something was amiss. The young ranger's grip on his weapon tightened as he followed Duinion towards the source of danger. As they approached the cave, the foul smell became more and more intense, and Romeran realized with a sinking feeling that they had stumbled into a dire situation. The sudden appearance of the troll was terrifying, and Romeran felt his heart race as the massive creature charged towards them. He quickly followed Duinion's instructions to run, not daring to question the seasoned ranger's judgment. He tore off into the woods, putting as much distance between himself and the troll as he could. Behind him, he could hear the sounds of the troll's angry roars and the crashing of trees as it rampaged through the forest.

Romeran's fear for his mentor only intensified as he heard Duinion's attempt to distract the troll. The arrow that Duinion had shot struck the troll in its chest, embedding itself in the thick skin of the creature. The pain and the taunts sent the troll into a furious rage, and it beat its chest and charged towards Duinion, knocking down small trees in its path. In a split second, Romeran made the decision to try and help his mentor. He turned around and ran towards the troll, reaching for the hatchet at his waist. He drew it quickly and threw it at the creature with all his might. The axe flew towards the troll and, to Romeran's relief, caught the troll on the back of its right leg, cutting deeply into its hamstring.

The troll let out an ear-splitting roar of pain and turned around, seeking the source of the attack. It had forgotten about the arrows and taunts of Duinion, now focused solely on the man who had dared to wound it. The troll spotted Romeran, for he was a large man and had made no attempt at camouflage. It abandoned the attack on Duinion and instead charged towards Romeran, its injured leg slowing it down only slightly. Romeran’s earlier relief at the luck of his hatchet throw turned into sudden fear as he realized the consequence was drawing the terrible beast’s attention.

Romeran realized the danger he was in and turned to run as fast as he could back towards their campsite. His heart pounded in his chest, and his breath came in ragged gasps as he ran. He could hear the troll's heavy footsteps closing in on him, and he knew that he was running out of time. As he ran, he fumbled for an arrow in his quiver, hoping to at least slow the troll down. He managed to pull one out and, without breaking his stride, he nocked the arrow and took aim. However, in his panic, his shot went wide of the mark, and the arrow sailed harmlessly past the troll.

With no other options left, Romeran continued to run, hoping that he could make it back to their campsite before the troll caught up with him. The troll, however, was relentless in its pursuit, its massive strides closing the distance between them with alarming speed. Romeran saw the flickering light of their campfire in the distance, and his heart soared with hope. He put on a burst of speed, pushing himself to the limit, and managed to reach the campsite just as the troll was closing in on him. With one last burst of adrenaline-fueled energy, Romeran lunged forward and rolled to the side, just as the troll's massive hand slammed into the ground where he had been standing just moments before. Romeran scrambled to his feet and ran towards the safety of the campfire, his heart pounding.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

Rome heeded his instructions, thankfully. Duinion was relieved to hear the trainee running from the danger he was not equipped to fight. Now, Duinion could focus on fighting it himself without having to worry too much about Romeran getting injured or killed in the crossfire. He was working on maneuvering the troll toward an opening, where there might be a little bit of light to see by. The clouds covered the moon and stars as the persistent rain continued to fall, yet he hoped... for what, he didn't know. Perhaps it wouldn't be quite so terribly dark once they got out from under the leafy canopy. Perhaps the clouds would break apart by some miracle, and the moonlight would beam down on them and enable him to see this foe. Whatever the case, moving the troll into a place where Duinion could more easily fight it seemed like the first step, and he was making progress toward achieving that goal, when suddenly, Romeran.. came back. Duinion was startled to hear Rome return, doing exactly the opposite of what Duinion had instructed him to do! "Rome, no!" He tried to warn him, as the young man, trying to be brave and heroic, unwittingly did.. possibly the worst thing he could've done. Duinion could have buried his face in his hands and groaned, but there was no time for such things. He didn't have a chance to warn him that the troll's skin would likely only damage his weapon and antagonize the creature.

Before Duinion could do anything, he could hear the sounds that told him basically what happened. The sound of the ax flying through the air. The roar of the troll, enraged by the weapon's strike. He couldn't imagine it would have done much to the troll, if it had skin as tough as what stories had led him to believe. Yet, it would have still angered it, and that meant that Romeran had now lost his primary weapon, and possibly damaged it as well. Next, he heard Romeran take off running, with the troll close behind. If he had been the sort to swear, Duinion probably would have done a lot of it in those moments, but instead he gritted his teeth and ran after the troll as fast as he could. He couldn't even shoot at the beast, because he couldn't see well enough in this darkness to be sure he wouldn't hit Romeran! He would have to find some other way of drawing the troll's attention back toward him, and hope this would give Romeran a chance to get clear of the danger.

As he had hoped, the visibility improved noticeable once he had left the cover of the forest, yet what he could make out concerned him greatly. Rome was rushing toward their abandoned campsite, and the troll was gaining on him. Duinion pushed himself to run faster, wondering what Rome was thinking. Why did he think they'd left the campsite in the first place? Did he think he'd be safe there? Now, without trees and underbrush to worry about getting his bow or himself caught in, Duinion ran with all possible speed to follow the troll pursuing his trainee, desperate to do whatever he could to rescue the young man. Suddenly, a wild arrow zipped past Duinion's shoulder, grazing him on its way through. He hissed sharply in pain but kept running, ignoring the gash it had left. He was only glad it hadn't been a few inches closer, else it might have hit him somewhere less easily ignored.

The troll was still gaining on Romeran. But he could see them both now, by the embers of the fire he had thought was out. He didn't stop to question how it managed to still be burning, and swiftly drew an arrow, aiming for the huge hulking beast just as it was attempting to pound Romeran with a massive fist. His arrow struck it on the back, but it seemed to make little difference to it. While Duinion didn't expect his arrow to do much in the way of injuring the troll, he hoped to draw its attention back toward himself. He was still running, having not even stopped to fire his arrow.

"HEY!" He shouted, drawing a second arrow as he continued running toward them, getting closer although it felt like he couldn't run fast enough. "HEY, OVER HERE!" He yelled, firing this arrow at the troll's head. It hit the back of its head, but didn't pierce the troll's tough skin; instead, it bounced off. But then he got a stroke of luck. The troll turned, briefly distracted from pursuing Romeran. That gave Duinion just enough time to draw a third arrow and fire swiftly. He saw the troll stagger slightly as it roared in pain and brought its massive hands up to its face, the arrow protruding from one eye. "Romeran, RUN!" He called to Romeran, hoping he would listen this time, and take this opportunity to get to relative safety. "Get out of here!"

Even as Duinion was calling for Rome to retreat, the wounded troll roared in pain and fury, charging toward him now. Duinion hastily retreated backward, desperately hoping Rome was fleeing the other direction. He readied another arrow, but just as he was firing it, the troll reached him, and his arrow struck the monster in the neck but didn't penetrate the skin. That only served to anger it further. Half-blinded, it swung an arm toward the offender in a back-handed fashion. The blow came too swiftly for Duinion to dodge in time. The troll's massive limb struck the ranger square across the torso, and it seemed to Duinion almost as if the troll were merely swatting away a pesky mosquito. Yet, the impact was so forceful, it sent him flying through the air as if he weighed nothing. He sailed across a distance of several yards before he crashed to the ground again.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

In hindsight, Romeran wasn't sure why he had run back towards the campsite. Part of him wanted to believe he had done it because he knew the terrain in that direction and wouldn't end up caught running into an impenetrable thicket or worse a cliff edge. Part of him also realized that this also likely came from a place of panic -- he simply didn't know where else he should have run, having not have to run from a fight let alone a troll. Romeran also began to question why his instinct had been to run back into the fight even though Duinion had ordered him to run away. The idea of abandoning Duinion to his fate, even if it may have been the most optimal decision for survival, was anathema to Romeran. And so he found himself in a rather precarious position with a troll bearing down on him and out of sight of Duinion and without his axe which he had thrown in order to distract the troll. He wondered if, even if they some how managed to escape from this fight, if he would ever find his axe again and even if he did if he did how badly damaged it might have been. Romeran hadn't even noticed that his arrow had grazed Duinion who had been chasing close behind.

The stamped out fire had not completely suffocated the coals which, encouraged by a mild wind, had caught again providing with Romeran some direction. But direction to what? Romeran wasn't sure what he had desired to accomplish by returning to the campsite. Perhaps some physical protection from the toll in the form of the trees they had used as shelter. But how long would that last? Would a few tree trunks save Romeran from the troll? He was beginning to think the likely answer was 'no', however, this was the position he found himself in and there was no changing the past. As the troll nearly caught up with him Romeran dove into the shelter he had constructed right as the fist of the troll collided with the ground exactly where Romeran had just been standing. The troll roared with rage at having missed Romeran and anger at the two rangers who had wandered into his domain.

The whipping sound of arrows filled the air and suddenly Romeran realized Duinion must have been close behind. The arrows struck the Troll, but his back was turned and the thick skin of the Troll deflected the arrows and seemed only to further anger the troll. With his massive fists, the troll grabbed two of the logs which had served as supports to the shelter in which Romeran currently hid and started pulling them apart. The sound of wood splitting and creaking drowned out the sound of the arrows from Duinion and the foul breath of the troll began to find its way into Romeran's nostrils and he nearly gagged.

Just then, an arrow struck the back of the Troll's head and he dropped the two tree trunks, not so much in pain as irritation. Romeran paused to wonder what might have been going on inside the Troll's head. Not much, he figured. The voice of Duinion could be heard loud and clear, taunting the troll and trying to distract him from the now cornered Romeran. The troll turned and Duinion's training and experience paid off as an arrow loosed from his bow struck the troll in one of his eyes. The howl in rage was ear-splitting and Romeran barely heard Duinion's call for him to run again over the noise. But it didn't take an experienced ranger to realize that this was his opportunity to escape the prison he had made for himself.

Taking a full dive, Romeran launched himself head first out of the shelter and onto the ground next to the troll. Not wanting to stop so close (not that he had much choice), Romeran continued to roll to the side as he landed, trying to get as much distance from the beast as he could while he was still distracted. Given the wound that the troll had suffered from Romeran he was quite certain, as long as he did not get too close, that the troll would likely be distracted from him at least for the time being.

Romeran stumbled to his feet having rolled past the troll and began to run. The troll did not follow, in fact, it was clearly far more angry at Duinion than any lingering anger towards Romeran that remained. Despite its pain and anguish the beast charged towards the older ranger. Romeran who was running in the other direction turned his head to his horror as the troll swatted at Duinion with his tree-sized arm. Duinion sailed through the air for several yard before coming to a crunching landing. Suddenly Romeran was again stuck with the same decision: run as instructed and save himself, or ignore Duinion's order to leave and try to help his master. Again, there was no question in Romeran's mind what he would do.

With a fury that Romeran didn't know he had in him, Romeran let out a roar which rivaled the troll's own and charged towards the beast. "Duinion!" he yelled in anguish. It was only a handful of Romeran's long strides but more than enough to give him the running start that he needed. The large ranger leapt into the air and clutched at the troll's arm which was still in the air after having back-handed Duinion. If an average-sized man had held onto the troll's arm, the beast may have not even cared or hardly noticed, swatting him from his grip as easily as he had flung Duinion. But Romeran was not average sized and this was one occasion where his size played heavily into his advantage. Large though the troll was, exceeding ten feet in height, Romeran was easily over three hundred pounds of muscle that was now dragging down the troll's arm. Try as he might, the troll could not fling Romeran from his arm and the ranger trainee clawed his way up to the troll's shoulders, wrapping his legs around the troll's neck like an oversized child trying to get a piggy-back ride from his father.

The beast howled and flung himself around in fury, like an Oliphant trying to swat away an orc, but Romeran hung on. With one hand holding fast to the troll and both legs wrapped around his neck, Romeran reached for the arrow which was still protruding from the beast's eye. With all his anger, Romeran yanked and wrenched at the arrow trying to cause as much pain and damage on the troll as he could. The ear-splitting sound of the troll's pain almost caused Romeran to lose his grip and the troll lashed out with increased fury, trying desperately to grip Romeran with his free hands and throw the pesky ranger off him.

Fury blinded Romeran, however, who was unsure whether his foolish actions had severely injured Duinion or worse got him killed. Romeran yelled obscenities at the troll as he attempted to wrench the arrow sticking out of his eye. While the troll must have been in a tremendous amount of pain, it did not relent in its attempts to remove Romeran from his back. The claws of the troll dug into Romeran's back and drew blood as the troll tried desperately to pull the ranger off him. Romeran didn't even notice the pain, although he would later. Romeran realized at this point that instead of trying to further mangle one of the troll's eyes perhaps he should use his own knife to attack the other. Romeran let go of the arrow and used the free hand to reach for his knife which was in its sheath behind his back.

The act of reaching for the knife behind his back threw Romeran off balance and swung his weight around to the other side of the troll -- towards his non-damaged eye. This enabled the troll to get a grip on Romeran's left shoulder and the troll tugged at Romeran violently, throwing the ranger over its own shoulder and down towards the ground. Thinking quickly, Romeran swung his right hand with the knife blade in a reverse grip up towards the soft neck area of the troll, under its chin. The skin in this area was softer than the nearly rock-like substance that composed the rest of the troll's skin and the knife edge was able to cut; a thick black blood drooled out of the wound. But this would be insufficient to take down the troll and now Romeran found himself flying through the air with the ground rapidly approaching.

The strength of the troll far exceeded Romeran's own and he felt as if his arm would be torn completely out of the socket as he rotated from behind the troll to in front of him as he was swung by his shoulder off the troll's back. Romeran hit the ground with a sickening crunch and the breath was knocked out of him completely. It was a testament to Romeran's toughness that he remained conscious although if he didn't react quickly that would be the least of his problems. The troll roared again, a mixture of pain and evil delight that one of his foes laid prone at his feat. Romeran groaned and tried to scramble away. The troll belched and loomed over Romeran. He lifted his great right fist into the air in preparation to squash Romeran like a bug.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

Duinion's landing was anything but soft. The initial impact with the ground left him in intense pain, a cry of agony tearing from his throat before he could help it. With his bow held close to himself, his main focus during his brief flight through the air was spent toward not losing his weapon, and not as much about anything else. In hindsight, it might have been better if he'd tried to pull his arms and legs in close to his body and attempt to roll upon impact, or something of the sort. But everything happened too swiftly for thinking. One leg was flung outward in the direction he'd come, while the other was pointed downward, toward the ground. That one made contact with the ground first, and he was fairly sure he heard a horrible crunch of bone as it buckled under him, pain bursting throughout his entire leg, beginning at the ankle. A cry of agony tore from his throat before he could think to suppress it.

Still, the momentum carried him forward, rolling and skidding across the ground, every bump and bounce another jarring reminder of how much it hurt. When at last he came to a stop, he was close to passing out from the pain. He wanted to give in to it, although he fought it. He might have succumbed to the blissful realm of unconsciousness, if not for the thought of Romeran, and the fact the troll was still there, still attacking Rome. Duinion lay dazed for an uncertain length of time, fighting to return to alertness. And a thought flashed through his mind, worried about his bow being damaged. The troll's arm had hit him across the torso, but it had also struck his bow. He might have imagined it, but thought he might have heard a splintering crack in that moment, and while he knew this should be a moment to be more worried about his own survival, and Rome's, his bow was a big part of achieving that. Plus, it had seen him through many dangers and adventures over the years, and it would be terrible to lose it.

At length, the sounds of the still-ongoing battle drew him back to his surroundings. Slowly, every part of him aching and protesting, the ranger struggled to shift into a position where he could see what was going on. Through the dim, grey gloom that was all around them, he watched in astonishment as the troll thrashed around, with Romeran clinging to its back. He was going to get killed! But then, he likely wouldn't have had much luck running, as the troll could easily overtake him... so perhaps that was the best thing that Romeran could have done. Still, Duinion had to do something. He had to help him. Though his body was in tremendous pain, he still had his bow, and he was fairly sure his arms and hands were alright. But was his bow? There were more pressing things going on over there with Romeran and the troll, or he would have taken a moment to inspect his favored weapon. But as it was, it was his only means of doing anything to try and help the trainee who was desperately fighting for his life.

He swiftly grabbed for an arrow from his quiver, only to find that it was empty. What? Duinion scanned the ground, heart sinking in dismay as he saw his arrows scattered along the ground between the point where he had first landed, to this point. And several were broken in half, by what he could tell. No, no, no! Desperately, he looked harder, trying to cling to some shred of hope, despite the dim light. There had to be at least one still intact, right?

And there, just barely beyond his reach, lay one that looked whole. With tremendous effort, he grit his teeth and pulled himself forward through the wet, muddy ground; half crawling, half dragging himself. At least the rain had stopped, but that seemed like a trivial matter right now. The troll threw Rome to the ground. Duinion reached the arrow. It wasn't broken! His right leg was in too much pain to be of any use, but with his left, he raised himself up as much as he could, so it like some sort of deep lunging stretch with his right leg stretched out behind him. He fitted the arrow to the string. The troll roared, lifting its fist to crush Romeran. Duinion drew back and released swiftly, holding his breath. He had aimed for the beast's open mouth, in mid-roar, mentally praying to Oromë that it would fly true, as he felt sure that would be a more deadly blow than to the eyes. But, in the same instant that the arrow left the string, the bow burst in his hands!

While his arrow sped through the air toward its mark, Duinion yelped as his long-trusted weapon snapped just above the grip, the larger pieces flying back at him as he instinctively covered his face with his arms, with closed eyes, in hopes of protecting his face at least. He felt a few larger pieces of his bow strike his arms and back, but thankfully none of the splinters found their way into his face. But in the process of this catastrophe, he lost his balance and fell over. The motion wrenched his injured foot somewhat. A fresh wave of pain burst up his leg, and then he passed out... without knowing what happened with his arrow, nor with the troll, nor even with Romeran.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

The pain surged through Romeran's chest and he felt that surely he had injured at least one of his ribs. His left arm fell limply at his side as he lay, dislocated from its socket. Never had Romeran imagined that a trip into the mountains to gather medicinal flowers would have ended this way, nor did he ever think that he would meet his end at the hands of a mountain troll. Romeran did not want to become a cautionary tale that mothers told their children to scare them from joining the rangers. Using his right arm, Romeran attempted to haul himself up into a seated position, but the troll was too close and too fast, his great fist already held high above his head. Romeran knew that he would not make it in time, but he tried nevertheless.

Just as Romeran was about to be crushed by the angered troll the whistling sound of an arrow filled the air followed by the subsequent howl of the troll as one final arrow from Duinion, Romeran assumed although he had not been able to see it happen, shot towards the troll and shot into its gaping maw, cutting clean through the inside of his cheek out to the other. While the blow was not a killing blow, the distraction was enough and gave Romeran just enough time to get up from a prone position and struggle to his feet. The troll roared in anger and the blood pooling in its mouth caused it to sound like a sickening gurgle.

The sound of birds chirping caught Romeran off guard. What time had Duinion woken Romeran from his slumber? How close to morning was it? His thought suddenly raced as his ears focused on sound of the chirping birds even over the roars of the troll. The troll noticed at this time, however, that Romeran was standing, and was too angered to consider if there would be more arrows. He reached forward as if to grab Romeran who stumbled backwards, nearly falling. His left arm dangled uselessly and Romeran knew that it was dislocated. Another blow from the troll would surely spell disaster for the young ranger even if Duinion had managed to blind the beast.

There was a break in the clouds, and a single ray of sunlight shone through like a beacon of hope from above. Romeran scrambled calling to the troll in angered obscenities intentionally to draw the troll who seemed far to distracted by the combat to notice the sun or hear the birds calling.

The combat had gone on for quite some time, and the troll (likely already returning home to his lair) had not expected the rangers to put up such a fight. Romeran, gasping for air through cracked ribs, managed to desperately call out to the beast

"Dawn take you!" he wheezed through gasps of air. The troll, blinded completely with rage, charged towards Romeran. But as soon as he stepped into the light, not a few inches from Romeran who was still struggling to get away, the troll was turned immediately to stone. Romeran collapsed to the ground.

Several moments later, Romeran came suddenly came to. The first thing he saw, looming above him, was a great stone fist of the mountain troll, whose face was still howling in agony with an arrow sticking out from the side of its great cheek. At first, Romeran didn't realize that it was stone, but when the beast's great fist failed to squash him into jelly, Romeran realized his great fortune.

With the troll threat removed, Romeran's first thoughts went to Duinion and he called for him "Duinion!" he shouted in anguish, hoping the ranger would respond.

Romeran tried to stand but had forgotten about his arm, and collapsed on his left side. He cursed and muttered. Romeran had dislocated his arm before, it was going to hurt but he knew how to put it back into the socket. Grimacing, he grasped his upper arm firmly and moved his arm around painfully finding the right position before ramming it violently back into the socket. Romeran let out a shout of pain, unable to keep it in and lacking the concern for his own ego to worry about feigning toughness.

"Duinion" he called again, the pain in his voice still evident from what he had just done. Romeran swung his arm around gently, glad that he now move it although it hurt a great deal.

Breathing in was painful, and he could only do so in three-quarter breaths at best. But he could walk, both of his legs seemed only minorly injured and the pain in his arm would ease over time. Even the ribs would heal, assuming he had no serious injures internally. But other than battered and bruised and still very angry Romeran felt glad that he was alive.

"Duinion!" he called once more, and started to make his way, slowly as at first, back tracing the battle with the troll. He remembered the arrow, how could have have forgotten with the stone troll's face that he had awoken to, pierced through by a still wooden arrow. He knew the Tirdinen must be nearby, and that he hadn't immediately heard a response to his calls meant that he may have been more greatly injured than Romeran. The young ranger began to walk more swiftly, looking for signs of his friend and mentor, hoping beyond all hope that his foolishness had not gotten Duinion killed.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

"Duinion?"

As Romeran's second call reached his ears, it seemed distant and faint, like something out of a half-forgotten dream. He wanted to curl up and go back to sleep, an inaudible, and unintelligible mumble coming out of his mouth, though the thought behind it was 'I don't wanna get up'. Sleep seemed so much more inviting, even if the floor was wet. Despite his desire to fade back into the blissful void of sleep, he found himself struggling to understand that. Wet? Why would the floor be wet? A few possibilities wandered through his disoriented head. Perhaps the roof had leaked from the rain? Did it rain last night? Or maybe it was past time to get up, and water had been flung on him...

"Duinion!"

This time, the call had a little more panic, an edge of worry to it. What happened? A quiet groan came in an attempted reply, but it likely didn't make it far enough to be heard by the one searching for him. Groggily, Duinion struggled to place himself as the fog slowly, reluctantly began to lift. He'd been hurt... right. For a moment, his thoughts carried him back to that time he fell out of the tree and hurt his hand. But that didn't sound like Dom's voice. And he hadn't passed out that day. Yes... he had passed out, he began to recall after a moment. He hadn't even cried that day he fell out of the tree, not even when he saw blood gushing out of his hand. No, that was a long time ago. He did a little headshake, trying to clear his head.

Suddenly, the fog cleared and the memory of the current threat came rushing back. This wasn't some mishap from his childhood...nor was it some sort of dream. He remembered now... The mountains... Romeran... The troll! As Duinion made a feeble attempt to stir and get up, sharp, intense pain lanced up his leg, originating from the foot and ankle area. He gasped in surprised pain, and collapsed down again. Yet desperation drove him to push his upper body up at least, propped up on one elbow, to try and see what was going on. Surprisingly, there was more light around him now than there had been. As if the darkness had fled away along with the fog clouding his thoughts. "Rome.." He called back, a little weakly. It didn't sound loud enough for Rome to hear him, but he found he had trouble doing much more. He ached all over, but his leg was definitely the worst. Still, he had to do something. What if that troll was still going after Rome?

But as he glanced around, trying to spot some sign of an ongoing battle... while fearing the worst... Duinion blinked as he noticed something. It was lighter. All around. He looked up and beheld a sight that was far more wonderful than he would have thought any other morning. The clouds had thinned a little and parted. Though there were still many clouds filling the sky, the early morning sun had fought its way through a gap, and even as he watched, the bright, golden light from the rising sun spilled a rosy hue onto the dark, lingering clouds, staining a pink blush onto the cloud's undersides, which mingled beautifully with the clouds' stormy grey and blue. The colors were reflected on the still surface of the nearby lake, making it a sight worth painting, if one's talents were inclined toward such things. Yet, the most beautiful thing about it to Duinion was what this sight meant; That the dark night was over, and the arrival of dawn meant that the troll could no longer trouble them... but had the young trainee survived the night? "Romeran?" He called with a little more effort, hoping for a reply or something, anything to give some indication the young man had survived.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

A deep breath helped calm the young ranger trainee's nerves. He tried to recall all that Duinion had taught him, trying to re-trace his steps and read the signs. Remain calm and listen for any sounds or signs of Duinion. He knew that panic or fear would not help him in this situation. Despite the anger at himself for having caused this mess, Romeran was pleasantly surprised at how well he seemed to be reacting to the situation and handling himself in combat. He had not felt fear, only the desire to help Duinion -- misplaced though his actions might have been, and at least that comforted him somewhat. Deep down, he feared for the worst.

Before calling out once again, Romeran thought that he heard something or someone make a sound. He stopped, listening, not wanting the sound of his own footsteps to interfere. The light was growing brighter as the sun began to rise in the sky and luckily for Romeran that ought to make it easier to spot Duinion. He had not heard anything further though after what he thought was a call. But he took to heart that it could be Duinion and set off in the direction.

Shortly thereafter he was rewarded with what was certainly someone calling his own name, it could be no one other than Duinion. Romeran's heart leapt into his throat as he was confident now that Duinion had in fact survived. "Duinion!" he called in eager response and set out after him. A few paces into a run and Romeran recalled his own injuries and had to slow down and catch his breaths, though he could only struggle through painfully short ones. Romeran continued to call out Duinion's name as he made his way towards where he had heard the Tirdinen call for him.

Luckily Romeran had not been far from Duinion when he had been chased by the Troll after Duinion had shot his arrow and it had not been that difficult to find him after hearing his name called. When he found the senior ranger, the feeling of guilt immediately washed over him, he was not dead, at least, but he was certainly injured. Romeran was no medical expert and was ruing having put off training with Captain Pele on the matter, but even he could tell that Duinion was injured for the ranger had only managed to prop himself up.

"Duinion!" he said, first excited to find his mentor but then continued more somberly "are you okay?" he asked, fearing the obvious response.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

Several heartbeats passed, the only means he had of marking the passage of time, right now. Duinion feared the worst, and felt his heart sinking with despair. It was painfully silent, for those several heartbeats. How could he return home with such tragic news weighing on his shoulders? How could he face anyone else, with such terrible news to deliver? And furthermore, how could he return home anyway, with his foot injured as it was? The thought of neither of them making it home made a chill run down his spine, and he wasn't sure which was worse. And then, at last...

"Duinion!"

Rome's voice cut through the silence. Duinion let out a little breath of relief he hadn't realized he was holding, dropping his head down to almost touching the wet ground. Rome had survived! Thank the Valar! He looked up again, anxiously watching for the young trainee to find him. "Over here," He called out, as loud as he could manage. His midsection was in pain, and deep breaths seemed to make it hurt more. He wasn't sure if he might have some cracked ribs, but if they weren't cracked, they were definitely sore from being struck such a blow. "Here, Romeran," He called again when he heard Rome calling for him. And soon the tall young man had found where Duinion's unexpected flight had relocated him. He was relieved beyond words to see him, apparently unhurt. He might have been moving a bit stiffly, but at least he could walk. That was better than Duinion could say for himself.

"I'm..fine," He answered with a faint, slightly forced smile, which wavered a bit a second later. Was their foe still at large, he wondered with dread, fearing that might be the case. "What about you? And what news of the troll?" He needed to know. "I'm afraid I lost consciousness, for a moment or so, after I shot that last arrow.. what happened? Did it flee when it realized dawn was nigh?" The wonderful, blessed light of dawn had been wonderful to see upon waking up, but at the moment the angle of the sun's rays were blinding him when he tried looking in the direction of the last place he'd seen the troll.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

The sound of Duinion's response Over here had given Romeran such relief, but it had been almost completely extinguished as it appeared Duinion was worse off than he was, Romeran being mostly uninjured in comparison. Duinion had said he was fine in response to Romeran's question, but the answered seemed forced and the elder ranger's smile had wavered almost immediately after responding. Romeran became more concerned for the sake of Duinion's injuries. At least he was conscious and seemed to have his senses about him as he asked about the troll. Romeran had wondered why he hadn't heard from Duinion, but had assumed he had simply been pre-occupied by the troll and hadn't noticed, but it made sense now that Duinion had fallen unconscious after he shot the arrow.

"Your arrow was timely, I don't know if you saw but you caught the troll through the mouth. It was lucky because he was about to crush me... If you hadn't distracted the troll I don't think I would have been able to escape." He explained, unsure how much of this Duinion had seen.

"I managed to scramble away, but the troll was enraged. It was the sound of the birds which reminded me that the sun was rising. I only barely managed to stumble into a break in the clouds when the troll came upon me and was struck down by the dawn." Romeran explained, "He's over that way" he pointed with his good arm "arrow still stuck through his great cheek, fist raised in the sky about to crush me" he said, a small smile reaching his lips, it had been a frightening and amusing sight when he had come-to under the shadow of the statue.

"Duinion I'm..." Romeran continued, hesitating "I'm sorry." he said, eyes downcast "I shouldn't have turned around and attacked the troll when you said to run the first time..." he explained, trailing off as he talked "I just well..." he struggled "I don't know what came over me, I thought the troll was about to charge and crush you and I..." Romeran continued to struggle with his attempt at an explanation "...well I couldn't stand the idea of running away and leaving a ranger behind like that. It wasn't until I was running from the troll that I realized you probably had a plan and that I had completely foiled it... and now it's my fault that we're in this predicament." Romeran sat down, leaning against a tree nearby the elder ranger. "I'm sorry..." he said again, staring at his feet.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

The troll had met its end. The news was difficult to take in... he could hardly believe it could be true. But the relief upon hearing this news washed over him like a wave in the ocean. He let out a small breath and relaxed. The greatest concern was lifted. And it was somewhat pleasing to hear that his arrow had struck at least in the general vicinity where he had aimed. "I was hoping he'd choke on it," He muttered wryly, but smiled faintly regardless. His smile vanished a moment later as he recalled the fate of his bow. His trusty bow which had been through so much with him... destroyed. His eyes closed as he took a moment to wrap his head around it, making an effort not to display too much distress about this tragedy. Focus on the important things, he told himself. The victories. The loss was not as great as it might have been, and he tried to console himself with that fact. But it was still a terrible blow, to have lost his primary weapon. But a little phrase echoed in his memory, something Addhor had used to say. 'Your bow is not your weapon. You are the weapon. You make use of the bow. If you are robbed of a bow, does that render you of no use? It ought not.’ Duinion might have laughed at the sentiment, if he were not so grieved over his predicament at the moment.

Hearing the apology Romeran offered, Duinion glanced up again, a bit taken aback at just how remorseful and sorrowful the trainee looked. As if he expected Duinion to be harsh and chiding toward him. He frowned slightly. He was about the last person to ever say anything that would cast the guilt onto another. This was his failure, not Romeran's. Duinion should have checked the area more thoroughly. He should have spotted some sort of indication of the troll living nearby. And there was surely something he could have done better than he had, which might not resulted like this. He shook his head slightly. "This wasn't your fault, Romeran," He answered quietly. "But, regardless of all that, what matters most is that we both survived. It does no good to dwell on what we can't change." He was speaking to himself as much as to Rome, trying to repeat the sort of thing that Idhrenel might say to him, if she were here. How he wished he could hear what she might say. He briefly thought back to that dream he had had, just before Rome woke him. Had she been trying to tell him something, through that dream? Or was that only wishful thinking? He managed a faint smile. "Who's to say that my plan would not have gone awry, and we might both have been killed?" He tried to sound dismissive of the matter. Because actually, while he had thought to draw the troll further away from Rome, he hadn't had much of a plan beyond that.

He was silent for a moment, eyes closing as he tried to stay focused. "My ribs are quite sore, and my ankle is badly hurt," He changed the subject, trying to mentally push through the pain so he could assess the situation and form a plan. "I don't think I can stand," He concluded, regretfully. In fact, he didn't even want to think about trying to stand. It throbbed enough right now, without him even moving. He looked up at Rome. "How badly are you injured? Thankfully, you can walk." He was glad for that, at least, else they might both be in a very bad situation. This position, lying on his stomach, propped up on his elbows, was getting rather uncomfortable, but he was a little afraid to try and move, unsure just how much of him was wounded.

After hearing Romeran's assessment of his own condition, he hoped it was accurate enough, because Duinion wasn't in a very good condition to try and check him, himself. "It seems you're in better condition than myself," He sighed, with a little wince as he remembered his ribs hurt. "I hate to put this task on you, for it should be me to do this, but... I can't. And therefore, it falls to you." He frowned. "Before anything else, I'll need you to search the area, especially the woods near that cave... check all around, very carefully, for any sign of more trolls. It's my hope that he was alone here in the mountains, but we need to be sure. Can you do that?" He asked, watching Rome's face carefully. "Wait until it's properly light, though." He added swiftly, as the sun was still making its way up in the sky. "Once we're certain the area is safe, we can figure out the next step. Alright?"

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Romeran looked at Duinion and nodded slowly, his face showing a mix of appreciation and guilt. "Thank you, Duinion. Your words make me feel a little better." Romeran explained, taking a deep breath, but the guilt still lingered. "As for my injuries, I dislocated my shoulder, but I managed to shove it back into the socket. I also have some bruised or cracked ribs, but I'm not sure which." Romeran looked down at his hands, ashamed that he was less injured than his mentor. "I'm sorry, Duinion. If only the roles were reversed, we would be better off."

Romeran listened intently as Duinion gave him instructions, but he wasn't sure if he could assess Duinion's injuries. "I haven't been trained in healing, Duinion. I'm not confident that I could assess your injuries properly." Romeran explained, looking up at Duinion.

"I agree, I will search the area for signs of trolls, but I'll wait until it's light." Romeran said, nodding his head. He then asked, "Is there anything I can do to help you get in a better position or assess your injuries while I wait?"

Once the sun rose high enough in the sky, Romeran left Duinion behind, bidding him take care as best as he could. Romeran walked slowly, scouring the area for any sign of the troll's tracks. He was looking for any indication that the troll had companions, but he found none. The only tracks he saw were those of the troll that had attacked them during the night. The troll was big, so it had left a clear trail that was easy to follow, and Romeran followed it, looking for any clues that would lead him to the troll's lair.

As he made his way through the dense forest, Romeran's senses were on high alert. He scanned the surroundings, listening carefully for any sign of movement. The trail led him to a small cave, and Romeran cautiously approached, trying to assess the situation. He circled around the outside of the cave, searching for any signs of other trolls or possible escape routes. He found only one set of footsteps leading in and out of the cave, and a large dent in the ground near a campfire that suggested that only one troll had been living there.

The cave was not deep, but Romeran didn't want to take any chances. The smell of rot and damp filled the air around the cave, making it clear that the trolls had been living there for some time. Since he had decided to check the perimeter of the cave first, looking for any signs of danger and had found there were no other tracks or signs of movement in the area, Romeran felt confident that there was only one troll.

Romeran peered inside the cave, trying to see as far as he could. It was dimly lit, and he could barely make out the interior. The cave was empty, as far as Romeran could tell, except for some bones scattered around the edges. Romeran picked up one of the bones, studying it closely. It was a deer leg, and it looked like it had been chewed on. Romeran felt a pang of hunger in his stomach, but he pushed it aside, focusing on the task at hand.

Romeran decided to take a closer look at the cave. He cautiously stepped inside, trying to avoid stepping on any loose rocks or twigs that might alert anything nearby. The cave was small, barely big enough for the troll to stand up in. Romeran looked around, trying to see if there was anything else in the cave. But it was still empty, as far as he could see now, except for more of the bones. But far in the back it was still dark, and Romeran did not feel that it was wise for him to enter much further without at least consulting Duinion first.

Romeran took a deep breath and turned to leave the cave. He had done what he had come to do, and it was time to report back to Duinion. Romeran retraced his steps, following the trail back to where Duinion was waiting.

As he approached, Romeran knelt down beside him, taking a deep breath before speaking.

"I found the troll's cave," he said. "It was only a mile or so from our campsite. I think it was only one troll." Romeran said, describing the cave and nearby area which indicated only a single set of tracks and the ‘seat’ where it had presumably eaten by the fire and tossed the bones.

“I didn’t go all the way into the cave, there was some dark area in the back so it could have extended. But I didn’t think it wise to investigate further alone.” Romeran added, creating at least some plausible doubt to his conclusion that there was likely only one troll, but the evidence certainly weighed in that direction.

Romeran paused for a moment, studying Duinion's face.

"I'm sorry, Duinion," he said. "I wish I could do more to help you."

Romeran sat down beside Duinion, watching him closely.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

"It's alright," Duinion replied quietly, in answer to Rome apologizing about not being able to assess his injuries. "I didn't ask you to. I'm not a healer but I can guess at how bad my injuries are." he managed a wry smile. "I suspect I have a few bruised or cracked ribs as well. But my bow," he cast a sorrowful glance at his bow. "At least it spared me from worse injury to the ribs," he tried to console himself with that thought, and sighed, followed by a little wince. "I suspect my ankle is..sprained." he bent the truth a little. It felt more like it was broken, possibly more. But he didn't want Rome to be unduly worried, and for all he knew, it might be only a sprain. Often injuries felt worse than they really were, especially when they first occurred.

As Rome asked about how he might make him more comfortable, Duinion paused to consider that. "I might be more comfortable lying on my back, instead of my stomach." he mentioned. "I want to wait on setting up any sort of camp, until we know whether we'll be sticking around." He explained. After this new position had been achieved, he did find it more comfortable to not have his weight resting on his injured ribs. Once he was better situated, the sun had risen a bit more. Eventually, Rome set off to search the area for signs of the troll. Duinion waited, a bit anxiously. He wished he could be the one to check. But he would have to trust that he had taught Rome well enough that he would trust his judgement.

While he waited, he felt of his ribs, gently pressing at various points, to check how bad it was, trying to judge how bad it hurt when he pressed here or there. He didn't dare test his ankle yet, but by his own assessment, he felt as if he had a few cracked ribs. He frowned, wishing he could undo some of the mistakes that had led to this. But what's done is done, so he tried to focus on fixing what had gone wrong, as well as he could. The whole time Rome was gone, Duinion was worrying. Watching toward the woods, waiting for him to return. Worrying, what if he didn't? What if there was another troll, and what if Rome ventured into the cave and ran into it... he should have told him not to go into the cave, he thought regretfully.

At last, he saw him returning, and breathed a little easier. As easy as he could, anyway, with his injured ribs. As he returned to Duinion's side, he listened with a small frown as Rome reported what he had found, and grew tense as he mentioned venturing into the cave, but relaxed to hear he had not gone all the way in. "No, best not to do that," He agreed, then added, "not alone, anyway. And I'm, clearly, unable to assist with that." He thoughtfully considered what Rome had reported. "Yes, it does sound as if there was only one." He agreed quietly. He left out the fact that he would be unwilling to go into the cave anyway, even if he were completely fine.

"Alright," He rested his head back on the ground, thinking over all of this information. "Since the troll is defeated, and if you're sure there are no more, then that's a huge relief. I'm not going to be able to walk on this ankle for a while.. or even try moving anywhere at least until I've fashioned some sort of crutches," He couldn't resist making a face at that thought. "Which means we might be here a few more days," he glanced at Rome and smiled faintly when he said that he wished he could do more. "You're going to have to do quite a bit, Romeran." He informed him, regretful to have to rely so heavily on the trainee, but it was what it was. "First, we'll need a new camp. The other is destroyed... and we'll need to see how much of our supplies survived..." He paused. "And you'll have to do it all by yourself. I'm afraid that the success of us both making it out of these mountains is resting on your shoulders now."
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Romeran felt a sense of relief wash over him when Duinion agreed that he had made the right choice not to enter the cave. "I'm glad I didn't go any further into the cave," he said, his voice tinged with gratitude. "Your guidance has been invaluable, Duinion."

Seeing Duinion's continued pain and discomfort, a wave of guilt and anxiety flooded through Romeran. He knew their survival now depended on his own abilities, and the pressure weighed heavily on him. Despite his worries, Romeran couldn't help but feel hesitant, unsure of his own decisions. He looked at Duinion with a mixture of concern and determination in his eyes.

"Should I look for somewhere nearby to set up a new camp?" Romeran asked tentatively, concern lacing his voice. "You shouldn't move too much, Duinion. Would it be best if I scout the area and find a suitable shelter for us? Perhaps a spot that's sheltered from the wind and has access to fresh water?"

Romeran paused for a moment, his uncertainty growing. He fidgeted with the edge of his cloak as he considered their situation. "Once I've found a good spot, do you think I should go back to our old camp and see what's left of our supplies?" he asked, seeking Duinion's approval. "I just want to make sure we have what we need to survive. We might be able to salvage some food, blankets, or even medical supplies."

Turning his gaze back to Duinion, Romeran hesitated before asking, "How far do you think you can travel, even with help? I'll keep that in mind while searching for our next campsite. I don't want to push you too hard, but I also want to make sure we're safe from any potential dangers."

As Romeran considered their situation, his stomach growled loudly, reminding him of his own hunger. He felt overwhelmed by the responsibility that had been thrust upon him, but he knew he couldn't let Duinion down. With a respectful nod, Romeran tried to muster the courage to face the challenges that lay before him. He took a deep breath, his chest swelling with determination, before exhaling slowly. He knew he had to protect his mentor and prove himself capable, not only for Duinion but also for himself.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

Duinion felt bad having to rely on Rome to do so much. But he could find no way around it. "Yes," He answered to many questions at once, with a small smile. "Scout the area, find a good campsite. Think of it like training, if you like. We are already near the lake, remember, so we should be alright as far as that goes. And once you have selected a proper site, check very carefully, in a wide range around the vicinity, for any threat of predators. Trolls aren't the only dangers that could come upon us," He mentioned with a small frown, thinking of wolves, mountain lions, and other creatures that might inhabit the mountains. "When you're sure that our new campsite is fine, then go and get whatever can be salvaged from the other site. I hope nothing is too badly damaged, but I wasn't able to look very carefully, before." He sighed.

"As for how far I can travel," he hesitated. "I really couldn't say." Duinion hated to admit something of the sort, but he honestly had no idea. He didn't even know how badly his ankle was damaged, and he was unwilling to look to find out. He figured as long as he kept his boot laced up tight, it should help keep things from shifting or swelling too much... or so he hoped. "I might need you to find me some sturdy sticks to use as crutches," he admitted reluctantly, and described how they should look. "Test them with your own weight," He said with a little smile. That ought to be a good enough test. "And don't worry about trimming the excess length. We can trim them to the proper length once you get them to me," He added, since it would be regrettable if he found good sticks and then cut them off too short. "Actually.." he thought for a moment. "If you can find those first, I can be working on getting those prepared, while you find a campsite." He decided, figuring he could at least do something. His hands felt fine, and he still had his knife, so he could whittle them down to be smooth and whatever else he needed to do.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Romeran's face lit up with appreciation as he listened to Duinion's suggestions. "Thank you for your guidance and reassurance, Duinion," he said earnestly. "I'll do my best to find a safe campsite and suitable sticks for crutches." He knew that this was a crucial task and felt a mix of determination and uncertainty.

Setting off to circle the area, Romeran kept an eye out for potential campsites, signs of nearby threats, and sturdy branches that could serve as crutches. As he walked, the weight of responsibility and concern for Duinion's well-being filled his thoughts. He stumbled upon a branch that seemed like a good candidate for a crutch, but when he tested it with his weight, it snapped in half. Disappointed but undeterred, he continued his search. Romeran came across a few more branches that didn't meet his requirements. Some were too short, while others were too thin. He couldn't help but feel a sense of urgency, knowing that Duinion's condition depended on his ability to find suitable crutches. His determination drove him to keep looking, refusing to settle for anything less than perfect. Eventually, he found two sticks that appeared to be just right. They were strong, thick, and tall enough to support Duinion. Romeran tested each of them, putting his weight on them as if they were crutches, and they held up well. Relieved, he carried the sticks back to where Duinion was waiting.

"I found these sticks for your crutches, and I think they'll work well," Romeran reported, presenting the branches to Duinion. "I also spotted a possible campsite about a hundred yards from here. It's within the trees, in a small clearing, and not too far from the lake. It seems like a good, protected spot." Romeran shifted his weight from one foot to the other, trying to gauge Duinion's reaction. "While you work on the crutches, I can go back and see if there's a better site nearby. I'll also keep an eye out for any threats and salvage what I can from our old campsite." He wanted to be as thorough as possible, to ensure their safety and comfort in this challenging situation. With a deep breath, Romeran waited for Duinion's response, his stomach growling quietly from hunger. He knew that his mentor was depending on him, and he was determined to rise to the occasion. Despite his lack of confidence, he resolved to do everything in his power to protect and care for Duinion while they were stranded in the mountains.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

Watching as Rome set off, apparently eager to do whatever he needed to do, Duinion let out a small breath. It was the most he could manage as far as sighs went, right now. But he was relieved, about quite a few things. Relieved that the young man had survived.. that he was willing to do what was needed, that he wasn't too hurt to do that. Duinion couldn't help feeling a little frustrated with himself for not being able to do anything right now. At least it was daylight, at last. And the rain was gone, thank goodness, or he'd be lying here getting soaked. And that couldn't be too good for an injury.

Closing his eyes for a moment, his face creased slightly in pain. The ankle was throbbing, but he was trying very hard to ignore it. Just a sprain, he insisted to himself, as if thinking it hard enough would make it true. Getting injured was definitely not part of the plan, but he had at least brought along some basic medical supplies. Too bad those were over there in the camp.

While he waited on Romeran, as a way of trying to distract himself from the intense pain pulsing through his ankle, Duinion replayed the events from last night in his head. There must have been some better way of handling that. Perhaps if he'd noticed the danger sooner. Perhaps if he had taken a moment to inspect the area, he might have found signs or tracks. But he had been gathering firewood while Rome was setting up camp. Should he have double checked, instead of trusting that the trainee had already done so? He wondered, even if he had, would he have seen anything? Perhaps the troll's tracks had been well hidden?

And then there was the battle itself. Perhaps, instead of trying to shoot the thing, he ought to have made use of his daggers. But would that have been any more effective? He should have put more distance between himself and it, for sure. Then he wouldn't be lying here with a badly damaged ankle. He gritted his teeth, annoyed both at himself, and the situation, and wished it were possible to undo mistakes. But it wasn't.

Hearing footsteps approaching, Duinion turned his head so that he could see and confirm for himself that it was Romeran. Yes, the trainee was returning. He smiled faintly upon seeing that he had two suitable-looking branches in hand. "Ah, good." He listened to the report Rome gave, and nodded despite a sinking feeling to hear 'a hundred yards from here'. Could he travel that far? He hoped so, but he wasn't about to say anything to cast doubt upon his capabilities. "Good work, Rome." He answered, glancing around. It occurred to him that he would have a difficult time working on the crutches while lying flat on his back, but he was reluctant to ask Rome to assist him in getting to a nearby tree. He would see if he could manage that on his own.

"Be careful, Rome." he added, feeling further frustrated, and concerned, that if something did happen, he would likely not be able to help him at all. "Make sure you have your weapons.. did you recover your axes?" He couldn't remember if he'd done that or not, but remembered that Rome had thrown them at the troll.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

In response to Duinion's question, Romeran gave a nod, a small sense of relief washing over him as he remembered his actions earlier. "Yes, I picked up my axe on the way to check the Troll's cave," he confirmed, his gaze lingering on the older man for a moment. His expression was somber, recognizing the pain etched onto Duinion's features, but he chose not to voice his concern, instead focusing on the task at hand. Romeran's mind wandered back to their initial encounter with the troll, the chaos and confusion that ensued. He remembered the way his heart pounded in his chest, his palms sweaty around the hilt of his axes. The memory of it was still vivid, the fear, the adrenaline...but amidst it all, there was also a sense of clarity. He had acted instinctively, throwing his axes at the troll in an effort to protect Duinion. And though he wasn't sure whether it was luck or skill that led him to retrieve his weapons, he was glad that they were back in his possession.

A subtle change came over him then, a determination that hadn't been there before. Despite his lack of experience and his initial fear, he was ready to face the challenges that lay ahead. He knew that their survival depended on their ability to work together, and he was determined not to let Duinion down.

"Alright, I'll be careful," he assured Duinion, his tone steady. He had a plan, and he intended to stick with it. "I'll head back to the camp now and gather our supplies. It won't be easy, but we'll manage." With a firm nod to Duinion, Romeran turned and started back towards their camp, his mind already racing ahead, mapping out the path he needed to take. His steps were measured, purposeful, each one echoing his resolve. He was a trainee no more - he was a survivor, and he would do whatever it took to ensure their safety.

His heart pounded in his chest as Romeran ventured back to their initial campsite. The world was quiet around him, the early morning light casting long shadows that danced across the forest floor. His boots crunched against the fallen leaves, the only sound breaking the eerie silence. His grip tightened around the axes in his hands, his senses on high alert as he recalled the troll's terrifying presence.

The sight of the campsite came into view. The temporary shelter, a tarp stretched between two sturdy trees, still stood, beaten but unbowed by the storm. His backpack, as well as a few of Duinion's things, lay haphazardly tossed around the small space, undisturbed by their abrupt departure. A sigh of relief escaped Romeran's lips as he realized that his belongings were still intact, protected from the rain by the shelter. Without wasting a moment, Romeran set to work. He quickly packed up his backpack, stowing away their leftover food, spare clothes, and basic survival gear. The tarp was carefully untied, folded, and added to his pack. It was a simple shelter, but it had protected them from the elements, and it would do so again.

Once everything was packed up, Romeran hoisted his pack onto his shoulder, the weight familiar and comforting. He cast one last glance at the campsite, a place that had offered them brief respite before chaos ensued. He felt a pang of regret at leaving it behind, but there was no room for sentimentality now. As Romeran made his way back to Duinion, he began setting up their new campsite. He had chosen a spot that was slightly elevated, providing a good vantage point of the surrounding area. The tarp was stretched between two trees, creating a makeshift shelter like before. The pack was placed neatly underneath, protected from the elements. Once the camp was set up, Romeran turned his attention back to Duinion. His eyes scanned the area, searching for any sign of the older ranger, curious of the progress he may have made on the crutches.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

(sometime in March)

As Rome went off to do as requested, Duinion let his eyes close for a moment. He was thankful they were both still alive, but this was far from ideal. The lower part of his leg throbbed, reminding him it was injured. He feared to know how badly, and so, did not really want to know. Not yet.

Despite feeling a bit tired, now that all the chaos and danger had passed, Duinion did not allow himself to doze off. After a moment, he opened his eyes again and took a knife from his belt, pulling the first stick closer. And so he began to shave away the rough bark near the top where the limbs forked, and carved away some of the wood so that it would fit more comfortably under his arm. Now and then, he tucked the fork under his arm, trying to check whether it would feel right. But it was difficult to know for sure, until he had his weight on it. He did the best he could, however.

After that was done, on both pieces, he turned his attention to the bottom end. But then he hesitated. Without being able to stand and try his weight on them, he didn't know how long he needed them to be. He frowned slightly, thinking about this problem, and decided that he'd start out with measuring from the point under his arm, to his foot. So, he did that. With his whole length stretched out on the ground, he placed the makeshift crutch so that it lay in the opposite direction from how it would be in use. Keeping his uninjured foot flexed, as if he were standing on the ground, he placed the forked in where it was just about level with his boot, then marked the spot on the stick where it came to on his armpit. Allowing an extra inch, just in case, he trimmed it off at that point. If needed, he could cut off more, but if he cut it too short, it would be a lot harder to add more length on.

Once both crutches were as complete as he could make them without testing them, Duinion set them both aside to wait until Rome returned. He was fairly sure he would need some assistance with getting up, as much as he hated to admit it. Hopefully, the trainee would be able to set up their new camp satisfactorily and get some food prepared, for he was feeling rather hungry by now. He sighed softly in frustration that he couldn't do anything at the moment to help in that regard.

Captain of Tower

@Rillewen

Lady Gaerlothriel of House Dimaethor,
Ossarnen, north of Calembel, Lamedon, in the foothills of the Ered Nimrais,
Year 3020 of the Third Age

From Lond Côl, sailing north up the Morthond, past the ancient elven harbour of Edhellond, one came to the fork where the rivers Ciril and Ringló joined. Two hundred miles the river Ciril flowed from the fork to the mountain vales of the Ered Nimrais, past the town of Calembel, which was the seat of Angbor, Lord of Lamedon, declared the Fearless for his actions during the War of the Ring barely a year ago. Beyond Calembel one came to the foothills and valleys of the White Mountains, of which there was located the fertile valley fiefdom of Ossarnen. Here, the lands and people were ruled by mandate from Calembel under Lord Orosser Celevon, and his wife, Lady Zôrzimril Dimaethor.

Lord Orosser and his family were new money, his ancestors having prospected in the mountain valleys north of Calembel, where they had discovered and produced a very wealthy silver mine, centuries ago. By the present day, the silver mines had long run dry from over-exploitation, but the family remained and expanded into other industries, mostly into iron, tin, quartz, and if they were lucky, the occasional amethyst. The mines employed several hundred people and by sea, transported raw iron ore all over Gondor for processing and shaping into tools and weapons.

For House Dimaethor, in Lond Côl at the mouths of the Morthond by the sea, tying their family to House Orosser allowed them access to quality iron for the making of weapons of war, as they waged upon the seas. And for House Orosser, allegiance with House Dimaethor, who controlled almost all sea-borne traffic coming down the river from the mountain vales, it allowed them much relief on any Orosser trade passing their tolls at their river-fort.

And for Lady Gaerlothriel Dimaethor, it was a prison.

The War had come suddenly to Lond Côl, with Corsair ships appearing on the horizon one day, making for the mouths of the Morthond, while other ships operated in and around Dol Amroth itself. She remembered the bells toiling in alarm and the men rushing to the fort, on both sides of the river, while the women, the young, and the old were all whisked away hastily into the mountains. After all, even if the River-Fort could not be taken, with it’s immense chain to block ships traveling northwards, the Corsairs would still reave and plunder all the surrounding countryside, slaying…or enslaving. It had been prudent, therefore, to send the young Lady of Dimaethor far to the north, to her sister’s husband’s people, where she might be untouched by the War.

Well, the War was over, they said. Months ago. And there was a King again in Minas Tirith! And the ships were all driven from the coastlands and there was promises of a lasting peace and a great prosperity. All seemed to be on the move and up-and-up. And here she was, still imprisoned in this mountain valley. Sure, her sister lived in a great mansion on a cliffside, with tremendous views of the southlands, with beautiful, snow-covered mountain peaks all about and many servants to attend her (and for a family named after silver, a surprising lack of it anywhere). But for Gaerlothriel, it was not home. It was not her people. And no matter how wide or rushing the river Ciril was, it was not the sea. The birds sang different songs and the young people were all infatuated with mountain climbing and “testing” themselves in the extreme weathers of the mountain peaks.

But the forests were nice, she supposed. She took to wandering them, often moving in circles around the chief settlement of Ossarnen, but lately her circles had been expanding and growing ever outward. They warned her about wolves and bears and even the occasional boar, but she paid little heed. A part of her wanted to relate to the other young folk, to climb mountains and test herself. She took to climbing trees to practice and while she suffered a few falls and earned a few scratches on the bark and wood chips, she caught on rather fast. And then it became instantly dull.

So she took to daydreaming instead, which led to her wanderings becoming more broadening and expansive. She thought about the tales her mother told of ancient, long last lands and legends, of great forests woven with spells and containing a multitude of mythical beasts and beings. Eagles roosting in trees as tall as mountains, or shepherds of the forest singing their slow songs over great distances to one another, or even elves! But there were no elves here either, same as at Edhellond. She wondered if her father was right and they never existed at all. With all the war and chaos, why should beings of art and beauty want to make themselves known to such a violent, boisterous race of men?

Having spent so many weeks wandering the woods, she had grown accustomed to the sounds that were natural therein. And more importantly, the sounds that were not natural. And when something didn’t belong, a feeling of trepidation washed over her. Someone else was here. Nearby. Friend or foe? Or worse, a servant. There to police her actions and words, to take her back to her sister’s villa or bringing a more terrible news that perhaps her father was actually here to take her away. Not that she didn’t want to go. Just not like that. She bore with her a long stick, which she carved and altered to being near akin a quarterstaff, for walking and testing the depth of streams or ponds. Now she clutched it like a club, two handed.

”Who’s there?” She called out into the woods, eyes searching every direction. Beast, she would immediately scramble up a tree and wait it out. But if it was something else…
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen

Trastion
North of Calembel, Lamedon, in the foothills of the Ered Nimrais,

It still felt like yesterday that he'd left home, though it was actually a couple of weeks ago, by now. Anurion... no, Trastion, he reminded himself, trying to get in the habit of thinking of himself by the new name he'd chosen for himself... Trastion, still felt as if he was only on an extended camping expedition, and that he'd return home any day. But he kept having to remind himself that he couldn't return home, and that this... this would probably be forever. Still, the reason for his abrupt exodus still lingered in his memories, troubling him often.

"It isn't fair!" Togg's outraged voice had been audible in the hallway, despite being muffled by the heavy oak door.

Anurion paused, having been about to pass the door to his stepfather's study. He considered hurrying past to get to the kitchen. He didn't want to have any sort of encounter with his annoying stepbrother, and would prefer to be alone right now. He only came out of his room at all because he was a bit hungry, and had hoped everyone else would be asleep. But then, curiosity got the better of him, and he stepped closer to the door so he could find out what Togg was so upset about this time.

"Calm down, Toggornir," Torthon was saying. "Don't worry about it."

"But it should be me, Father, not him!" Togg went on, lowering his voice, but the frustration was still there.

What should be him, Anurion wondered?

"It will be you, eventually. Just be patient, son."

Anurion frowned, wondering what they were talking about. Should he go on his way and forget about it? He was hoping for a quick snack, but this was intriguing...

"You promised me that this would all be mine, once Aearon was out of the way." Togg sounded as if he were pouting. "And now this? How could you let this happen, Father? I want her, you know that. How could you agree to this?"

The words made Anurion jolt slightly, and he subconsciously inched a little closer to the door, listening more intently.

"You will have her soon enough, as well as everything else. I promised you all you could want, didn't I? Have I ever broken a promise to you, Toggornir?"

“You know I can’t inherit anything while Anurion lives.” Toggorndir replied scornfully. “I’m not a Taurhebor, remember? Something which my 'dear' stepmother has made very clear.” The sneer was audible in his quiet tone as the young man spoke in private to his father.

“He won’t stand in our way much longer, son, believe me.” Torthon answered calmly. “A week, a month… maybe two, at most, and then he'll end up having a very.. unfortunate accident of his own.” The man chuckled softly.

"Accident," Togg scoffed in amusement. "Sure, like Aearon's was? You took a bit of a risk with that, didn't you? Everyone knows what a good swimmer he was. What if he'd managed to get out of that river?"

"That's why I watched and waited from a hidden location, to be sure he didn't." Torthon retorted. "I didn't leave anything to chance with that, and I don't intend to with Anurion, either."

"We could just swap out his drink for some of this, and be done with him by tomorrow." Togg suggested. "Make it seem like one of the servants messed up, and no one would suspect anything amiss."

Feeling as if he'd been struck in the gut with a lance, Anurion backed away in stunned disbelief. Eyes wide, he stared at the door, thoughts racing. His plans to go to the kitchen for something to eat were now forgotten. He couldn’t believe what he’d just heard. He’d always despised his stepfather, but… the things he just heard… it couldn’t be. But it was true. He finally understood what really happened the day his brother died, though it was difficult to hear it. Still, this made a lot more sense now, than when he believed it was an accident.

Whatever else Torthon and Togg discussed, Anurion wasn’t there to listen. Knowing now that they planned to kill him, he didn’t dare stick around and risk being caught eavesdropping. Nor did he think it would be wise to confront them, as it might push them to kill him now and then cover it up somehow. Instead, he hurried back to his room and locked the door, his heart hammering in his chest. How could he have not guessed before? His hands pressed against the sides of his head, trying to think. What should he do? He paced around his room, trying to think rationally.

If he went to his mother and told her about this plot, she wouldn’t believe him. She never believed him about anything. Furthermore, it might endanger her, he realized. He figured she’d only get angry him for making accusations against her husband, and it would upset her. She was still feeling poorly, and any upset like this might make her condition worse, so even if Torthon and Togg didn't do anything to her, the stress might be too much for her. Besides, she might even try to accuse him of making things up simply to make waves and try to get out of the betrothal she had planned for him. Anurion made a face at that, annoyed that he wasn't in control of his own life. After she and Torthon had announced that evening at dinner that he was set to marry Azraindil Dimaethor, in Aearonor's place, Anurion had spent at least an hour after dinner, arguing with her and trying to convince her that it wasn't right to push him into this marriage he didn't want, and all in vain. She was determined, and he was doomed to marry a girl that had been meant for his brother. A girl he didn't know, and had really only met once, years ago.

Then he stopped his pacing suddenly as something occurred to him, remembering Togg's mention of 'her' and Torthon promising that he would get 'her'. Were they talking about his betrothed? Was that was Togg was upset about? Was she somehow part of his stepfather’s plan? He frowned, unsure what sort of plot the man had going, but he knew that there were certain laws involving inheritances. He hadn't really paid much attention to that stuff, at the time, because it didn't really have anything to do with him then. If only he could remember those laws now, and work out how Torthon planned to manipulate things so that Togg would inherit the estate and get to marry Ms Dimaethor. Whatever the case, it was very possible that the betrothal was involved somehow. Either his stepfather planned to kill him before the arranged wedding ever took place, or just after… in which case, she could be in danger too. If not in danger of being killed, then at least, in danger from being stuck with Togg for the rest of her life. He wouldn't wish that on anyone, but there wasn’t much time left. He had to get out of here, fast.

He'd found it a bit more difficult than he expected, trying to live on his own. Trastion, as he had been calling himself for the last two weeks or so, had managed to cut his hair short on the first day after leaving. He'd used his hunting knife, though he had found it difficult to manage a haircut on himself, with nothing but a rain puddle to see what he was doing. But it was short now, and that was what he really cared about. Not only did it alter his appearance somewhat, but it felt much better to him. He was still getting used to how it felt to not have shoulder-length hair, and found himself frequently running a hand through it.

Blending in with the regular folks was more difficult than he'd expected, too. So far, he'd had few interactions with others, but when he did, he tried to pay close attention to how they spoke, and how they interacted with each other, and tried to copy it. Dropping whatever formal type of speech he had been taught, trying to use slang, and letting his pronunciations be a bit less 'proper', and so forth. It was a work in progress, and he'd felt it best to travel further from home. Somewhere far enough that no one was likely to recognize him. Which meant, he had to get off of his family's land. So, he had traveled for several days, trying to reach Calembal, where he might be able to find a job. Little did he know, he had actually passed it up.

He was hungry, at the moment. It felt strange, depending on himself to find food, or earn it by working for the money. He'd never had to do that before, and it was going to take some adjusting, but he was sure that he would manage. He had to if he planned to survive very long. Having stopped to assemble his bow a little while ago, Trastion carried it now as he stepped carefully, trying to be stealthy as he moved through the woods in hopes of finding a deer or rabbit or something he could cook. After traveling for a while in search of something to shoot, he thought he heard something ahead, and paused in his steps. Was that a deer, maybe? Feeling hopeful, he swiftly ducked down behind some thick bushes, and listened closely while he tried to remain still.

Cautiously peering out from around the bushes, he was surprised, and a bit disappointed, to spot a flash of color passing through the trees. Cloth, which meant a person. He frowned, ducking down lower in alarm. He held his breath, trying to fight back a surge of panic. Could it be someone searching for him? Perhaps Torthon had sent someone after him? But, when he heard the voice, calling out to ask who was there, he slowly breathed out in relief. It was a girl. Rising slowly from behind his hiding spot, Trastion kept his hands raised above his head, bow held harmlessly up in the air with one arrow pressed against its side, held in the same hand. The other hand was gloved, but empty, and he offered a friendly smile toward the young lady. "Don't be alarmed. I'm just passing through," He assured her, stopping himself from adding 'my lady' or bowing or something of the sort, which he probably would have done, a couple of weeks ago in his previous life.

"I didn't mean to frighten you, miss." He told the young lady. He figured he must look a bit rugged, with his hair all wild and unevenly cut, and dressed as he was. He'd worn the most 'common' type of things he could get his hands on, stuff that he would normally wear to go off in the woods for a day or two, so that he wouldn't have to hear his mother complaining about him ripping or dirtying his good clothes. His plain brown trousers were, indeed, ripped at the knees, and the ankles were travel stained with mud and whatever else he had passed through. His plain green shirt was undeniably stained, and the elbows were worn thin. His boots were caked with mud, also, and overall had the look of someone who had been traveling a while without caring how he looked. Which is exactly the truth. "Could you perhaps tell me where I am?" He added hopefully.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

The presence and sight of a young boy emerging from the foliage did little to assuage her worry. While her brother-in-law assured Gaerlothriel that most people of Ossarnen could be trusted to obey the word and spirit of the law, it was not fully guaranteed. The stranger could just indeed be a harmless boy. Or he could be a scout for a party of poachers or deserters or worse. The young Dimaethor kept the long wooden rod clutched close to herself as the boy made himself known, acting repentant for having startled her, and wanting to know where he was. It felt like genuine sentiment to Gaerlothriel. He looked like he had been walking and traveling a long time. Poachers tended to be better equipped, given their lucrative trade that drew so many unsavory types to that profession.

But he did have a bow. What was he doing with that, hunting? She supposed the local farmers probably did supplement their yields with hunting. It was a natural part of that lifestyle, something that couldn’t be helped. This could just be a local peasant boy. But then again…why wasn’t he out climbing up rock cliffs like all the other youths around here seemed obsessed with? He must indeed be a traveler. A lost one. He did look…rather helpless. Dirty and helpless. Not that she could judge. And shouldn’t. Mother always said to help travelers, with anything as simple as water or directions, which the boy seemed sorely in need of. Gaerlothriel lowered the rod until it touched the ground and after a look around, it seemed like they were alone. After all, the birds started to chirp and sing again. They only did so in a lack of danger and they sensed none. She followed their lead.

”Well…you’re in a forest.” She began by saying, almost feeling the urge to verbally rebuke the boy for such an obvious answer. But he probably meant the query in a greater geographical sense. ”South, about a day’s journey, is Calembel. North, about a few hours, is the mining town and valley of Ossarnen. You’re somewhere between.” She answered him, thinking one of those was the obvious destination. ”Are you lost? There are roads and rivers you’re supposed to follow to get to these places, you know.” She said, unable to not feel standoffish after all. ”What is your name?” She then inquired, thinking it would help her be less defensive if she knew a bit about him.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen

Trastion
North of Calembel, Lamedon, in the foothills of the Ered Nimrais,

He stared for a second at the girl as she declared the obvious. In a forest. "Really?" A faint grin appeared on his face, and he wondered if she meant that to be sarcastic or not. "No way," He replied in mock disbelief, unable to help that instinctively sarcastic reply back. "I was under the impression I was in the desert..." He looked around as if seeing all the trees around him for the first time, but before he could add any further comment, she went on to offer more details. He cleared his throat, mentally telling himself to back off on the sarcasm. He nodded as she began telling him more precisely where he was, but then his smile faded when she mentioned the location. "Wait, Calembel is South of here?" He frowned, dropping his arms down to his sides. He'd passed it? A sigh followed this realization.

'Are you lost?'

"Lost? Of course not." he half-teased, though when she mentioned roads and following the river, he swiftly tried to think of how to explain why he was avoiding those. "I uh.. took a shortcut through the woods a while back, and I guess I just lost track of where I was. Not such a short-cut, huh?" He shrugged. "Anyway, I've heard of bandits lurking around near the roads, waiting to jump out and attack travelers. I'd prefer not to run into any trouble if I can help it. So, it seemed safer to avoid places they might be." He explained, which was partly true. He had heard rumors of bandits, although it was an older rumor and might no longer be valid. When asked his name, he smiled again. "I'm Trastion. And may I ask who you are?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

Gaerlothriel stared flatly at the strange boy, who had the nerve to flip her own answer about in a sarcastic, dry manner. The desert…? There’s a river nearby, if you want a mouthful of sand…! Though, in the next instance, her anger seemed to dissipate when she realized the young man was trying to be funny. It was rather funny, though. Gaer should not have given such an obvious, vague answer anyways. So she let a smile creep on her lips, after she had given more specifics about his exact location. He seemed surprised he was north of Calembel. That was the major settlement in the region, where all the roads led to. He must really be lost.

Though, the young man tried to put a brave face on it. And Gaerlothriel saw through it. She could appreciate his bravado though. But the rumour of bandits caused her confident demeanor to sink. Bandits? Here? That was impossible. Her brother-in-law would never allow it. She wanted to cut in and declare that even, but maybe she ought to not be telling random strangers who her familial connections were. In case this young man himself might be a bandit. And kidnap her. And hold her for ransom. Her own family would never let her live it down.

I’m Trastion. And may I ask who you are?

She never heard that name before. But she wasn’t about to give her own. ”Nimrodel.” She lied easily. Everyone in Belfalas knew the story of Nimrodel the Elf-Maiden and the Princes of Dol Amroth. It was a common name. ”Well if you’re avoiding danger, then any short cut is a good short cut. But I think you might be misinformed about the danger. It’s not out on the roads…” Gaerlothriel told the young man, again eyeing his bow, then back to Trastion’s face. He might be the danger.

”What are you hunting, with that bow? Not bears or wolves, unless you're a much better shot than you look." She then queried the young man. What did she even know, she never even used a bow in her life. Was that simple bow and arrow enough to bring down a predatory beast? Or maybe...maybe Trastion was hunting something else. Something smaller, more innocent, unable to defend itself. Maybe he was...a poacher.
Berio i refn-en-alph len