The Lands of Arnor: Free RP

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Ent Ancient
Mantle of Shadow XI
Renhir
Bree
February-March 3019 TA
(private)

Scornful looks dogged Renhir’s steps in the common room after night fell so he carried a tray to his room and ate in solitude. He did not mind. There was only one person here whose company he might seek and he was not prepared to face him yet. At once, there was too much and too little to be said and his fellow Ranger’s obvious displeasure did little to encourage him to even try. Leaving the fireplace bare, he lit only enough candles to see his meal and he shielded the moonlight with thick curtains drawn over the windows.

A bottle of wine and a leisurely smoke cleared and calmed his mind and at last, he was ready. Taking the second bottle in his hand, he paced down the hall and rapped his fingers lightly on the door. Moments later, Daerandir’s green eyes peered at him through a narrow slot in the door, ever on the watch for danger.

Relaxing at the sight of him, Daerandir swung the door open and gave him an expectant look. “What do you want?”

Without speaking, Renhir pushed gently past him and stepped into the room.

“Yes, do come in.” Daerandir’s words exuded sarcasm.

The room was a mirror image of Renhir's own and opposite in every way: a roaring fire blazed in the hearth and the small table was lit by a tiered candelabra. The same supper was laid out on a plate but this one was half-eaten while Renhir’s plate had been barely littered with stray crumbs.

Making himself at home, Renhir sat at the table, uncorked the wine and filled two cups, sliding one across to the man who sat before him. Daerandir left his own untouched. “Are you going to explain yourself? How could you do that, even you?”

“I don’t answer to you,” Renhir huffed.

He crossed his arms. “If that’s how this will be, you can leave now and save us both the trouble.”

Renhir raised a brow and nodded at the half-eaten food. “Something’s already troubling you by the looks of that.”

“What could that be, I wonder?” Daerandir responded testily.

Sipping his wine, Renhir shrugged back into his chair. “There are many troubles in the world of late, near and far…”

“Indeed.” So they agreed on something. “And you are one of them. Where the hell have you been?! No one has seen hide nor hair of you since the attack in Hollin and then you turn up beating a man bloody in broad daylight…”

So they had come to it at last, what he did not want to speak of and dared not share. He glanced at the bright flames dancing and flickering in the hearth, and the shadows in between, teasing and taunting him. “I’ve been...on my own.” It was all he would say on the matter of his disappearance and abandoned duty and all that had happened in the North Downs.

“That much is clear. You are not fit to wear the raiment of a Ranger.” Clearly unimpressed, Daerandir lifted the proffered cup of wine at last and drank. “You were someone to be admired when we met, Renhir. You fought bravely. You put yourself one the line in front of others with no thought for yourself. What happened to you?”

“Life happened.” Then, “and death.” The inevitable end.

Daerandir was silent as he digested this. “If that is all you can see, then you are blind. Do you not remember what it was like when we tamed the wilderness together? We could do the same again, if only you would open your eyes.”

Renhir exhaled through his nose. “How are you still such a tiresome, hopeful fool? Tell me you don’t still believe that nonsense about a lost king who will reclaim his crown.”

“I do. I have to.”

“It will never happen. The kingdom is dead.” There was little doubt in his mind.

“Someday, I hope you are wrong. And then, I’ll never let you forget it.” A smirk crossed Daerandir’s face as he spoke, then faded as he shifted in his chair and leaned forward. “There was a call to ride south. Have you heard?”

Renhir pressed a weary hand to his brow. “Yes. I heard.”

“I mean to go." An unasked question hung in the air--will you?

Renhir shook his head and needled his knuckles against his brow. “You will find nothing but death if you go.”

“Then so be it.” How calm and fearless he was to brush death aside so easily. “You will not come, not even for your brother?”

“No. He is safe behind the walls of the White City.” Again, he spoke with certainty.

“Only as safe as the city itself,” Daerandir countered. “If it falls, then what?” Here was one of the many unspoken questions that had whirled about both Rangers’ minds and each came to a different answer.

“Then we are all doomed anyway. I have as little hope for this errand as I do of becoming king myself,” Rehir scoffed. “I’m tired, Dae. I am not meant for this fight anymore and I cannot keep pretending to be someone like you. I am not. We both know it.” He had not spoken to anyone so frankly like this in a long time. He did not know how he had missed it, that he wanted to let everything spill out, to bare himself and stand for judgment but he reigned himself in. There were some things he could not tell anyone, not even Daerandir. “I am not here to have the same old arguments with you over and over.”

A tilt of his head to the side sent a tendril of hair falling over Daerandir’s brow and he shook it away. “Then why are you here?” he asked quietly.

“You know why.” The undertone in the breathy words were clear. Brown eyes met green and now he hid no truth but allowed Daerandir see him, broken and untenable, fading from the light. A drowning man struggling to breathe. “Please.” Renhir was not accustomed to begging and the word scratched his throat and the shape of it felt foreign on his tongue. “Let me stay tonight...Just tonight. I’ll leave by morning.”

If only for a night, let him shed the mantle of shadow that haunted him and be the person he had once been, the one Daerandir had known when the roamed the wild woods together and Renhir might have been worthy of him once.

An impatient breath escaped Daerandir’s lips. “I should send you away.”

“Then do it,” Renhir challenged him, kneeling on the floor before him. “As if I am yours to command." He had been, once. The Ranger before him had been able to tame and temper him, the only one who ever could. He wanted to know, needed to know, if Daerandir could still draw out what little goodness remained. If not, Renhir would know that redemption was far out of reach. “And if I am not fit to be a Ranger, then take the cloak off my back.”

Eyes as green as a sun-washed forest gazed steadily into his. Before Daerandir even spoke, Renhir saw the familiar glimmer of surrender in his eyes. “You are not mine to command. Not anymore. But I want you to stay,” came the whispered confession.

Daerandir touched the nape of Renhir’s neck and pulled him in. Renhir released a soft sigh against the lips upon his. His heart thrummed unsteadily in his chest, rebelling against his careful control and becoming a thing not entirely his own. Hardened and cold as stone, it softened and warmed like clay in coaxing warm hands. If anyone could reshape the battered and broken thing, it was Daerandir. Always and only him.

If Daerandir asked him to go south again, he might have said yes. Certain that Renhir’s will was unshakeable when his mind was made up, he did not. They spoke no more, no more arguments to unfold. There was a story yet to untangle between them that did not need words. Renhir was undone beneath his touch. For one last night, the only shadows to touch him were their own cast by faint, glowing firelight.

In the morning, Renhir kept his word as promised. By dawn, he was well into the wilds where he belonged. He left his grey cloak and blazing star behind on the bed and knew then what he had known all along. Daerandir was a flimsy bandage on a bleeding wound he could not heal. Even he couldn’t pull Renhir back from the brink anymore.

Renhir could no longer straddle the blurred line between light and dark, torn between his past and future, struggling to reach for redemption. There was no saving him; there never had been. He was too far gone. There was only the shadow and the strength it sowed in his veins. There was only death waiting to swallow them all in the cold light of day.

Ent Ancient
Mantle of Shadow XII
Renhir
The Forsaken Inn, Fourth Age
(private)

Darkness—soothing, calming—enveloped Renhir and he soaked himself in its embrace. Opening his eyes, wan candlelight flickered and interrupted the darkness of the inn. Slumped at a table deep in a shadowed corner, Renhir drained the contents of a bottle, seeking further solace at its bottom. He wiped droplets from his chin, licked amber liquid from his lips, and traded the empty bottle for a new one.

A troupe of Rangers found him and gathered around the fringes of his table littered with empty bottles.

“What the hell do you want?” Renhir snarled. “I told you all to leave me alone.”

“Trust me, we don’t want anything to do with you, either,” one said coolly. In grey cloaks and with righteous, judging faces, they blurred together to his whiskey-washed eyes. “I wouldn’t bother with you unless I knew that some part of you…deep down…might care about this.”

“Well, what is it?” he asked impatiently.

“Your mother is dead.”

His heart, already battered and broken and sunken to stone, did not falter or twinge in reaction. He hadn’t seen his mother in decades. She’d given up on their home, moving south to start a new life, and a new family, with a Swan Knight.

Renhir crossed his arms and tilted his head back on the seat. “Is that all?”

“Your brother wrote to you.” Waiting for a reaction and receiving none, one of the Rangers peeled off from the rest and leaned over the table to hiss, “You’re a disgrace to the name of a Ranger. What would Daerandir say if he could see you now?”

Renhir slammed his fist on the table and smashed an empty bottle by mistake, grinding broken glass into his hand. He barely felt he cut to his hand but the accusation cut him to the core. “I’m not a Ranger anymore and he doesn’t give a shire about me from six feet under the ground. So give me the fredegar letter and leave me alone like I asked.”

The Ranger flinched at his anger and stepped away, tossing the letter at Renhir. It hit him in the face before falling into his lap. He grunted and shoved it in his pocket.

The outburst caught the attention of the innkeeper, who was just waiting for a chance to kick the ruffian from his premises, his generosity only extending so far. The aproned fellow trailed over Renhir’s corner and lifted the bottle from his hands. “That’s enough, mate. You’re done for the night.”

“I’ll deal with him,” a voice muttered from the shadows. Arms reached for Renhir and dragged him from his seat.

Renhir scowled and shoved them away. “Get your hands off me. I’m leaving.” He stumbled from the inn and into the night.

The Ranger, Pandrion, who had dared accuse him of his derelict of duty followed. “Get away from me!” Renhir shouted, rounding on him. “What do I have to do for you to leave me the hell alone?!”

The Ranger barely flinched. “Don’t you see, Renhir?” Pandrion asked, voice soft and low. “You are alone. I am trying to help you…for his sake.” He had the decency this time not to say his name.

“I don’t want your help.” Renhir huffed and stalked away, teetering on his feet and tripping onto the ground.

“Go to your family,” Pandrion called. “Maybe they can save you,” he mumbled under his breath before departing.

Renhir crawled to his feet, new scrapes adding to the cuts on his hands, and wandered away into the woods until he stumbled on a fallen tree. Turning over, he lay back on the damp ground. In a broken whisper, he asked the night, “Why didn’t you take me? You had a hundred chances…Just let me die.”

Dawn crept in and rudely awoke him. Sunlight lanced clanging pain through his head, the night air sucked the moisture from his mouth, leaving it dry as a bone. He reached into his pocket for a flask to quench his thirst, and retrieved a letter.

Blinking, he frowned at it. Who was it from? He rubbed his eyes and tried to wipe away the fog from the edges of his vision. Hunching over, he opened the letter. It was written in his brother’s neat, sloping hand, and vague memories of last night filtered in.

Renhir,

It would lend me much strength to know that you were on your way here and even more to see you and speak with you. I will have to face my father on my own if you do not come and since mother’s death, he has been even worse. He threatened to cut off my stipend, calling it a waste of good coin and insulting my so-called soft scholars’ life, and enlist me in the Swan Knights. He’s bluffed before, but without mother here to calm him, it feels more real than ever. And Falaneth. I asked for her hand and she said no. I still can’t believe I’ve lost the one person I loved most. I thought I could count on her presence for the rest of my life and--Everything is falling apart, Ren. I know it is a long way and you like my father even less than I do, but I am sure you would not miss a chance to tell him to stuff it. You know I can’t do it.

I wish you were here, big brother…please come to Minas Tirith.

Tandarion

In the sober light of morning, Renhir folded the letter in a neat square and tucked it in his pocket. He combed his hair from his face, cleaned and bandaged his hand, and set off on the road south. The same road he had denied during the War, the same one Daerandir had taken to his death. Renhir followed in the footsteps of greater men and travelled to the aid a brother who was a better person than Renhir could ever hope to be. Tandarion was the last person Renhir cared about in this world and if he needed him, he would go.

Ent Ancient
Mantle of Shadow: Epilogue
Renhir
Minas Tirith, Fourth Age
(private)

The Fields of the Pelennor stretched far before him flush with growth nearing autumn harvest. It was hard to picture the raging battle that had taken place here. Bees buzzed, insects chirped, and farmers sang folk songs to pass the time while they tended their crops.

Somewhere out there, Daerandir had drawn his last breath. Renhir’s heart clenched tight at he thought, the old pain somehow still ripe as a red fruit in the field. A memorial stood at the burial site, but Renhir could not bring himself to read the names of honorable men carved into marble as if somehow, that were enough to remember them by. Letters carved in stones did not tell the way Daerandir’s cheeks dimpled when he smiled or tipped his head back when he laughed as if he couldn’t breath for joy of living. No. A memorial was nothing more than cold, lifeless stone. The scars had grown over but ghosts remained.

Clenching his jaw, Renhir rode across the fields before spectral soldiers could clutch him and scold his cowardice and frailty and countless crimes. He was not here to drown in the current of the past. The thought of his brother, alone, facing the loss of their mother, the wrath of Tandarion’s father, spurred him on.

Twilight brushed the White City pale grey and early stars rose on the eastern horizon. Renhir climbed past the Third Circle and straight to Tandarion’s home still in his dirty travelling clothes. His brother wouldn’t care. He would probably find it charming like some romantic notion of what life as a Ranger had been like. Renhir had been careful to avoid the grueling reality whenever he wrote to Tandarion, shielding the gentle scholar from a harsh world. Living through the War had been hard enough for his brother.

Renhir knocked on the door, expecting to see his curly-haired younger brother appear, holding a book with his finger marking the page he had left off on.

What greeted him instead was a surprise.

An older woman with hair greying at the temples answered the door. Her eyes were shadowed and drawn, her shawled shoulders hunched forward. “Can I help you?”

“I’m here to see Tandarion,” Renhir answered without missing a beat.

The woman’s eyes rounded, horror flashing across her face. “Didn’t—didn’t you hear?"

Renhir frowned. “Hear what?”

The woman spoke quiet as a mouse. “He’s dead. Just three nights ago…they say he--” she stared at the ground, barely whispering, “He took his own life.”

The ground fell from beneath Renhir and night wrapped close around him, swallowing the stars and fading sun. Death came once again and this time, it dared lay hands on the last person who mattered, on kind and gentle Tandarion who never raised his voice in anger or even swatted a single fly.

Fury, wrath, pure and cold, shocking and raging, coursed through Renhir. It stiffened his spine and gripped his brow tight, pulling his face into a grimace. The hidden shadows haunting him lined his face and shrouded his heart.

“Who are you?” The woman asked, tentative, stepping back.

He ground his teeth. “Who said he took his own life?”

“The guard—the Tower Guard.”

“I see.” Renhir turned on his heel and disappeared into the darkness of the city. The next day, a man named Hathaldir reported to the Tower Guard and received a uniform and a rank to masquerade behind to begin his own mission. To find, and kill, Tandarion’s murderer. To make them suffer for all he had lost.

New Soul
Renhir licked his lips and took in each wolf, each tortured soul forever doomed to a wild, wandering life. He stroked the thick fur of the leader and the touch softened something in him. “Go and be free, and be at peace. You serve no one but yourselves now.” Wasn’t that what every man truly wanted? Freedom and solitude. Was that what he wanted? To serve only himself and years spent grovelling at the heels of the Rangers? The wolves howled one by one, growing into a rapturous chorus that echoed across the wilderness. Renhir fled, leaving behind the blood and body, the wights and wolves. If only he could run from himself. - Written by Lailyn MOS/IX
Locking the darkness away I
The North Downs, Arthedain
A year later - TA3020

Utchuk

He came from the northern fells long ago. He wore a good mask that made him look human, but he would never be near one. In his time so far he had travelled through most lands, where humans lived and remained this far inconspicuous. He travelled around in selfmade clothing, in what he had developed a good hand and a warm skin from a bear as cloak. His belt supported an once stolen human sword, a Morgul knife and a dagger. He got a pouch with a few important possessions as money and papers. He had a necklace of animal bones to complement the wild men of Palisor. With his six feet he was pretty tall and thus not easy to hide his stature, but the shadows did a lot. In pure daylight he wore a cap over his head, the greyness of his skin was hidden under clothes and in handshoes. He couldn’t deny his real nature, but humans were excellent meat eaters, so he was no exception in an inn. In desolated lands, like old Arthedain, he was a lone traveller nobody really bothered. And if he met people who had questions, he spoke in the common tongue a bit grunting and brusque, but never out of hatred.

The land was deserted and covered under a light mist in the early morning. It was neither cold or warm this time of the year. Arthedain was a plot of land north of the Shire, where the small creatures known as hobbits lived. They were usually a nice and tasty catch for the hungry. But Utchuk was not in catching one of them for a meal. He hunted animals for that part, roasted the meat and ate it as humans did. Looking and impersonating like a human meant you were one. Utchuk did it for quite a long time now. He had gotten used to it, to sneak in among peoples his kind would never venture otherwise. Arthedain was a kingdom long ago, but also had been a breakup from an even bigger kingdom. Old towns lay in ruins and people lived instead in small hamlets with wooden homes. Those were easily overrun and set afire. Utchuk had seen it more than happening. That orcs and uruks roamed these lands to murder and pillage.

There was no fruit in brainless pillaging and murdering. Not in the cold of the north, where humans and uruks had to battle the cold. They had to unite to win the fight against the cold dragons. They were a mortal enemy out there, both hunting human and uruk. No distinction they made, brainless and greedy as they came. Dragons could never be mastered or enslaved. As he travelled outside the Shire borders, it could be felt something was off, there lay a mist of death over the land. As far he could determine, against the fresh green of the land, it was not normal. Was it intentional? Someone who favoured the ill-fated dark lord in Mordor? It could be. He had to research what happened. But there were also animals roaming over the land, that were supposed to hide in the woods. Not in the open land.

The rocky outskirts would suggest there could caves in the surroundings. Acsess points in the earth below ground. It was quite hilly in these parts, but the mountains in the west were too far away to be of major significance. From the droppings in the grass and on rocks he could determine there were quite lot of wolves in these parts. They were some days old, meaning there were no wolves close now. Not that they would be a hinder to Utchuk. But neither he liked wandering into a whole family. It could be a bit too much for him and injure him severely. He didn’t want strangers to find out, he was an uruk himself and not what he looked like. So Utchuk threaded carefully, just as he would do in his homelands, not to alert the sensitive ears of the dragons. He looked into the distance, what was just roaming grasslands, with trees standing here and then, hills blocking the view widely and rocks appearing the grass. This was quite treacherous ground to walk, let alone to run a horse around. You could take the old roads off course, but those were also dilapidated. The wolves wouldn’t roam throughout daytime in the open, only in the secluded areas. Dusk and dawn were the better hours. In the midday they would sleep in their burrows. Utchuk sighed, it was a mystery, this vague mist.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

New Soul
Locking the darkness away II
A year later - TA3020

Utchuk

He felt if the vague mist would hide invisible claws. It was like a death breath on the soft wind, that went along the senses of the body. He was not used to feel a shiver running down his spine. He was always cautious for detection, but seldom afraid. Or was there a power here? The grounds ran out toward a small stream of water where he found blood. It had this smell of iron. Utchuk knew as soon he smelled it. Normally it could invoke a lust for a meal, but not today. Instead his stomach made a leap it would want to lose what was in it. But Utchuk had his morning meal hours ago and his stomach was empty. The conflicting of feelings and what he saw so far, definite made his mind up, something was truly off and it was not good at all. It had the signs some sort of battle had taken place.

He got a hidden wire of sorts to know where evil was brooding on plans and working them out. The grass between the rocks sticking out of the ground looked normally. So did the few tree stumps out here, that had been hit by lighting in a thunderstorm, quite a time ago. Largely bare, but they clung on to life with each two branches full of leaves, looking healthy. Was it pretty? Humans said it was so. Hobbits would dig the earth over. But the wilds allowed them not to come here. Deeper than a small handspade it was mostly rocky bottom. Hence why the water ran over the rocks and grass. The layer of earth was thin. Why? Who could tell him that? Explain? Utchuk was glad not be an elf. How horrible such a life would be, with all the grief for dying things? He had a gaze at it, shrugged his shoulders and went on. Nature would grow without his help, or gazes or care. It grew even under darkness, twisted. But it won over still. Triumphed in fact.

The blood was not that old. From an animal perhaps? But then after a few days the stream ended up at some rising hill with boulder rocks close by. Grass did run around and to his left between all of that, opened the earth like a gaping mouth into something dark. A cavern, it had to be. The rocks were grey on the outside, black at the mouth. It didn’t look inviting. In fact it didn’t even feel inviting. But it was where this death breath on the wind was emanating from. What had happened out here, Utchuk couldn’t tell. The blackness said there had been some kind of implosion, as it had the looks of it? His grey eyes drank in the scene. He didn’t enter the cavity. What had happened, it was surely over more than a year. Maybe lesser, maybe more? Another summer, winter, spring and autumn had passed over until the moment Utchuk came upon it. If there had been fresh spurs, they had washed away with the rains and the snow.

Arthedain was a hotspot of these deathtraps. Layers upon layers of materials of death, that told of matters happened long ago, and had vanished from the consciousness of society. Had the elves recorded something? Like not. Had the humans written records? Surely. But if those records had survived? Annúminas had been such a town. It was a telltale of twothousand years old ruins. Its successor Fornost Erain and the lands around were haunted by the dead. Civilisation rose, blossomed and fell to ruins. Where had all the inhabitants been? Where lay their bones? Or had they withered away with the snow and the water, penetrating the grounds between the rocks? Wildlife however found the best home around these western parts. Utchuk could see from afar wandering deer, just cosily eating around without any fear. Twolegged creatures were thousands of miles away. And the short legged could never be fast enough to reach them. Utchuk trapped for a pair of rabbits and made small fire ten miles from the gaping mouth in the earth. Here he would have a meal and spent the night by himself, as so many before, he couldn’t count no longer.

New Soul
Locking the darkness away III
A year later - TA3020

Utchuk

The dusk brought the nightlife to a cacophony, that died off soon the last rays of the sun had left and plunged the surroundings lands in the darkness. There was starlight overhead. But Utchuk had naturally no love for that kind of light. It was cold, just as the vague mist that grew thicker now the ground lost the warmth, damp evaporating in the air. The fire burned steadily and casted a light far and wide. It attracted flies and bees and even an owl that nestled in the nearby tree to watch. The rabbits roasted nice on the stick and Utchuk consumed his meal, leaving some raw leftovers for the hungry eyes around. The owl popped by for a part of the meal, but also fox. The wilds had something reassuring. Although long ago been developed as a kind of abomination to all of this, hundreds of generations later his kind had also improved the survival chances with cunning and cleverness. The lessons from the lands across the northern waste had been very harsh, never take more than you needed. Otherwise nothing was left and you starved to death. Anything alive eventually succumbed if they didn’t eat.

The second prepared rabbit Utchuk packed carefully up for the next morning. He should catch up with rest and sleep, but if that would be possible? The fog towards the mountains was thickening up and forced an idea on him that inside that mist the dead were walking around, in search for life essences to suck up for the energy. A shiver crept down his spine and involuntarily Utchuk pulled the warm bearskin cloak around him. His grey eyes pierced through the dark as he could see exceedingly well. After the meal he stretched out on the ground and closed his eyes, the fire burned steadily, keeping dangerous animals and ghosts away. Fire was not their liking. Light exposed too much. The thick mist didn’t reach the open lands, where Utchuk made up camp by some trees and bushes.

Utchuk dreamed not bad at all and couldn’t know that a pack of wolves actually joined him by the fire. When he woke after four hours, it was still dark. He threw some new wood on the fire and then discovered about seven bodies around at some distance from the fires. It were no humans or elves, no orcs or hobbits, but animals. Wolves to be exact. Creatures also that had some shady origins, but there was no soul that could tell. In old tales they were the allies of his kind, and perhaps that was why they lay quite close to Utchuk. Could they sense what he really was? Utchuk was known with the white furred predators of the frozen lands. They were a different breed from the wolves close by. It was a pack, a family together. Wolves were no loners, they were socially connected. It was how they survived. For a small time Utchuk watched them as he lay on his back. Over the lands from the mountains were soft hisses now and then, wights that roamed free there. By the morning the mist broke and the creepy sounds of night changed for the lively ones by the first rays of the dawn. Utchuk woke again, finding himself alone by the fire, his nighttime companions had left. The owl however was still sitting in the tree.

Utchuk had a large part of the second rabbit as cold breakfast. One leg he lay aside at some distance that his furry companion picked up and carried into the tree, picking at it. As impersonating human Utchuk could appreciate this. Young white wolf cubs were fed by humans and uruk tribes in the same fashion. The colour of their fur was their protection against other predators in these icy wastes. But not all was ice, there were green arid lands as well, with large pine forests that survived the long winters and blossomed in the short warm summers. After the rabbit meal it was time to pack up and leave. Utchuk threw some dirt over the flames of the fire, that died instantly. He couldn’t risk a wild spreading fire, though it would do good for the wights out in the mists. They would burn down to a crisp, that nothing was left. He had some idea what had taken place. The blood of a day before told a tale of slaughter. But where the body was? Or the bodies? Or had it been animal blood? The riddle wasn’t solved. But one thing Utchuk knew, it didn’t bode for news that was well, not at all.

Hasty Ent
*Private
Gilrénna

~ 3 Nénimë ~ 105 IV ~

(24 January of the Year 105 of the 4th Age
The Hanavía estate in Minhiriath, located on the coast of Cardolan west of the Port of Lond Daer

Gilrénna's Note: I recently discovered in a wooden crate in the catacombs of the Hanavía estate
(This discovery is a mystery in and of itself), I found more writings of the Chieftains of the Dúnedain. There are other books and parchments found as well. Most are quite degraded and will need extraordinary care if they are to be preserved. I have begun this work, and so far my success has been mixed. Among the old decaying parchments and brittle journal books, the crate had a rough scribbled note from 'Halasian' who I believe is my great-grandfather on much newer parchment. Also on this parchment was a tick mark with my grandfather Hanasian's initial mark. Also, another 'find' in this crate is Chieftain Arassuil's journal. The paper seemed to endure much better than most, and his flowing tengwar script is quite readable. This is what I have preserved from it so far...

Arassuil's Journal

Year 2718 III, month of Víressë, 26th day

We had time to rest, and each Ranger that was not on watch were allowed to return to their families. It was a welcome relief, for days had been long and the miles hard. My father and I stopped in the town of Bree for a bit of rest. He was going to stay here when I go tomorrow to my wife and sons, still a day's ride away. It will be a blessed time, and I know my eldest son Arathorn will be eager to tell me and show me all he has learned. I long for his eagerness of youth, something that seems to leave a man soon after he becomes a Ranger. He will be one soon, and I dread what his days will bring. But I rest for now, writing my thoughts, for it is my fear that rest will be something we will not find much of in years ahead. Why? I don't know why. I only have a feeling in my gut.

It was a feeling that only grew worse when, as we relaxed this evening with an ale, enjoying some bread and cheese at this fine Inn, the Prancing Pony of Bree, that my father told me he was too old to be riding so long. Age had crept up on him in the exceeding lines about his eyes, and the once dark curled locks were well peppered with silver. Here, for the first time, at hearing his words, I could see in him that his days were short.

Mother had passed a few years before. I have yet to write about this, for it had pained me to ponder. But her passing had affected father more, for when mother passed, she took a part of my father with her. He remained strong as our chieftain, but evermore did he lean on me after that time. I knew then that my day of becoming chieftain was fast approaching. He again expressed his confidence in my being able to lead, pointing out that I had been second in command for twenty years now. I can't say I look forward to being chieftain, but it is the destiny of first-born of the line of Isildur, heir of Elendil. I cannot see it, but I can feel that in days long ahead, well past my days, all that we have held to in our heritage will come to fruit.

We talked of this a little this night, of a glimmer of hope warmed us from inside. A warmth that spoke silently to us of the great deeds of our forefathers, and or hope in the deeds of our children and grand children, lest evil seek out the flame and extinguish it. It is my feeling, and that also of my father's, that the days of my time will be evermore hard. I pass short thought of the days of my son, for I will hope to pass onto him days that will be better.

I grow weary as this night reaches for the morning. A light rain is falling, just enough to allow water to run off the roof in its melody. I will sleep now, if I can on a comfortable mat. I have grown used to the wild, where if there is no rock or twig jamming me in the back, I feel something is out of place. Yet I am tired, and I look forth to seeing my beloved again.

Year 2718 III, month of Víressë, 27th day

The sun broke through the cloud that had poured forth rain all night. Only now did it cease, with the trickle of water still running from the roof. Bright it was though, and I am readying to go to the common room for a small meal. I am sure my father awaits me. I hope to be home tomorrow in the arms of my wife, and the next day, to spar swords with my son.

Year 2718 III, month of Lótessë, 9th day

Time home has been a blessing! Yet it seems so fleeting. My eldest son has become a man in my absence, and I have decide that he will ride with me back to Bree so he can see his grandfather. My daughter is blossoming into womanhood, and my youngest son has grown straight up. Soon too he will be a man full grown and ready to ride, but for now he studies the lore and trains in weaponry. Sparring with him and his brother was such a joy, especially when I see they lack not in their cunning and vigilance.

Yes, the time has gone by so fast, and again we are summoned. I was meaning to write of my days afield while at home, but it was the farthest thing from my mind that I could not take it upon myself to pick up the quill. Let me just say that the unquiet nights whispers of the stirring evil in the east, and it will likely be there where we go. Ever vigilant must we be on the eastern watch, and also to the north, for the wisps of the darkness of Angmar linger long, awaiting their day to arise unseen. But we watch evermore.

It is late, and I will rest this last night holding my wife. For in the morning light we ride.

Year 2718 III, month of Lótessë, 10th day

Setting out in the morning dew was bittersweet. I look long on the dark curls flowing free about her shoulders as she wraps her arms tight around herself to ward off the chill. Only moments before we were warm, in an embrace I wished would never end. Arathorn was eager to ride, but I was not. The days were growing dark, and the Rangers were evermore hard pressed to watch and protect. Still, it was time to go. With a whisper and a kiss, I turned my horse and we rode away.

We would go to Bree, and we will gather at the Prancing Pony Inn. There we would talk and decide where we should go. There were too many places and not enough Rangers, but this was the way of the Dunedain of the north, ever since the dark dais of the Gladden, when Isildur, his sons, and army were wiped out oh so long ago. Will we ever recover from that? Can the days get darker than that? I look to Arathorn and watch him as we ride. His senses were keen, and his horse well-mannered. I see the future in him, but I am weighted by a feeling he will not see the fullness of his days.

But enough of such thoughts. The day was growing bright even if clouds began to obscure the newly-risen sun. We would be in Bree soon, and it will be a joyous time, especially for Arathorn, for he has not seen his grandfather Arahad in many years. He has grown up.

Year 2718 III, month of Lótessë, 12th day

Yesterday was spent mostly at the Prancing Pony Inn, where we paced ourselves on the ale. It was a local Bree version of one of the ever so fine Shire ales, and obviously a local favourite. We had gone out and stocked supply after breakfast, but was back after the peak of the day. There we sat an dtalked and laughed. As the shadows outside grew long, the talk simmered into more serious words. Arathorn asked many questions, and Arahad told him much of his days in the wild. The local townfolk left pretty much to ourselves, for we sat in a distant shadowy corner of the common room. It had become known over the years as "them Ranger's table", for if one of us were in town and wanted to be found, here we would be. Our rough look and quiet shadowy demeanor made most ill-at-ease, but we took comfort in seeing they were little bothered by rumour of what lurked outside the city gates not far away.

Darkness settled and stars appeared in the skies above, and the scent of lamp-oil and candle joined the woodsmoke, herbed-stew, and ale. Arathorn grew quiet and we listened to the banter of the night's crowd. He rose and went to the bar to get a finishing tankard of ale for each of us, and both my father and I watched as he walked away. Arahad then said to me,

"It is time. As I spoke before, I say now. It is time for Arathorn to ride out with us. I will tell him when he returns. He will ride with me as part of my hand, and you will go east to the Forsaken and meet Halbaril. There you will take command of his hand while he goes home. He has been out too long and is in need of rest."

I heard the words, but was silent. So it would be, for my father, still chieftain, spoke. But I had to ask why I did not get to ride out with my son his first time.

"Do I not get to see my son ride out his first time?"

I said gravely, Arahad answered,

"It will not be. But it will only be a brief time, and we will meet at in a short time. I will arrange to send word to his mother that her boy has become a man"

I was quiet after this. The look on my fahter's face spoke much more than what words could say. Arathorn's somewhat heated demeanor coupled with his strong will was cause for concern in Arahad's mind, seeing days ahead. I settled and told myself this would be a good thing to do now. I nodded as Arathorn brought back three tankards.

At first we sipped at the edge and wiped the foam from our lips. And I sat quiet while Arahad told Arathorn the news. Excitement followed by concern came over him. Saying if he knew he would have brought this sword or that knife, and packed different and such was cut short by Arahad.

"Young Dunedain, a ranger does not always have the luxury of planning and many times is caught wanting. But it is our way to adapt and use what we have, no matter. This is a first test and you will learn that all you need is within grasp at all times. Now I suggest we down our drinks and settle up, for the morning will be here soon enough."

So today as I sit under an oak midway between Bree and the Forsaken, resting and capturing my thoughts while alone on the road. Arahad and Arathorn rode away south out of the gate while I went east. I spent the few moments before sleep writing a letter to my beloved wife who will find the news hard. Arahad's courior took his note as well as my letter and one from Arathorn. I feel it will be long before any of us see home again.

Year 2718 III, month of Lótessë, 12th day

Evening grew as I waited by the deserted inn. No sign of Halbaril was seen as night closed around me. Malvil showed silently in the darkness, only giving sign another ranger would know. Se sat and waited, silent in the night. Maybe Halbaril would come by first light.

Year 2718 III, month of Lótessë, 13th day

Light has come but the sun has yet to rise above the far off Mistys. Halbaril had not shown, but the rest of his hand has. Besides me and Malvil, there was Earundur, Kallidan, Daerol, and Turgan. A fairly seasoned bunch these with Turgan being the youngest having been riding for only 5 years. They had all been out on observation, and were to regroup here this day. Maybe Halbaril would come this day. No matter. If he didn't show in due time, I would lead these men and search where they thought he may be. They had confidence he would turn up, but I myself had a gut feeling something was off, and the clouds I saw gathering in the east before the sunrise spoke of an ill wind. But it is not Halbaril's, for ere mid-day he approached, albeit somewhat worse for wear. We will now meet in the old deserted inn....

Year 2718 III, month of Lótessë, 14h day

We had discovered a keg of untapped ale in the cellar of the inn, and it served as refreshment to those who had come. By evening, all had been discussed pertaining to the darkness that approached. The meet was good, and Arathorn asked many questions of the others. Intriguing, and insightful he was, and as I sat silent listening to him and the others talk, both pride and a forboding filled me. Times were ever darkening, and my time was evermore drawing near. But as I closed my eyes, I could see Arathorn riding forth, engaging battle with the fell wolves of the north and their riders from Carn Dum. Yet this was my time. with my father passing lordship to me, that it should be that I fall before my time? No. My eyes opened to several Rangers taking this time in sharing news and talk of home and loved ones, and what they would do when they find the time ahead when they would not be called to guard the lands. I myself smiled in a stressed sort of way, agreeing with their words and wishes, but deep down, knowing that those days would never come. And as I looked at each one as they talked, I could see in their faces that they too knew that it would not be so.