Basic questions

Discussions in Middle-earth lore, language and books.
Guardian of the Golden Wood
Legolas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 am 31. Could Tom Bombadil and Goldberry be the "parents" of the Hobbits?

32. Even after reading the Silmarallion it's still unclear to me, why elves are portrayed as excellent archers? Only due to their keen eyessight and because one might assume that an elf would be a perfect archer due to thousands years of practice?
31. No. Goldberry and Tom dance in and out of each year and the spring is when the world around them is born again, but Goldberry, though a daughter of the River, is never hinted to conceive. I would add that the idea that were she to give birth the offspring might be the Hobbits strikes me as peculiar. Badgers, maybe.

I suppose Bombadil might do the conceiving and birthing. I cannot make up my mind if either would be responsible parents.

32. You give two in-world reasons. I guess one out-world reason is that Tolkien wished he was an excellent archer, but was not. As in telling fairy-stories, he aspires to the art of the Elves. Archery is about a target and an aiming-eye; possibly archery provided Tolkien with an image of a kind of seeing that appealed to him?
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.