Riddermark Ærendgewrit—Rohirric Mail

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Ent Ancient
OP repost:
Near the town center of Edoras stands a building with a weathered shingle bearing a picture of quill and ink and the words Riddermark Ærendgewrit. In these early days of the Fourth Age, many Rohirrim have begun to read and write and enjoy exchanging news with friends and family both near and far. In the center of the room is a table, equipped with quills, ink, and parchment, where visitors can pen their letters. Along the walls are several baskets where correspondence is deposited for sorting and delivery. Some of the more prominent citizens of Edoras have boxes with their names attached to the walls.

Welcome to the Edoras post office! This is where you can leave mail for Riders of Rohan. Letters are welcome from all lands. The only rules (outside of normal Plaza rules) are to please keep it in character, and post the recipient’s name in bold at the top of the post.

Be creative! Post love letters, birthday wishes, thank you notes—whatever is on your mind!
Dear @Gwai,

I am very pleased to let you know if you would still like to come by for tea, I’m ready to have you come by anytime. Since you have many more demands on your time as a Marshal than I do, please name a day or just stop by sometime and I’ll pop the kettle on. Most mornings I can be found at home.

Here is some more good news! We will not have to sit outside and risk getting hit on the head with apples that are bursting from my tree now (it seems my house is full of perils...!) because the worst repairs are all done. I promise you will be very safe from the bees inside.

I think you may be the first official visitor to my new home! It’s really coming along nicely and I am very happy with it.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you are well,
Lailyn

Knight of The Mark
The letter addressed to Eléowyn lay in a box unclaimed. An outrider, preparing deliveries to some of the more rural areas, noticed it and stroked his beard for a moment, deciding what to do with it. Eléowyn had not been seen for quite some days now, having left town suddenly and mysteriously. At last, he tucked the letter inside his bag, having decided that he would deliver it to her farmstead, in hopes that was where she had gone.

(OOC: @Eldrith: Eléo and Aodh are on their way home, via a somewhat circuitous route. They will be stopping by her farm as a last stop before returning to Edoras. The letter will catch up with her there.)

Thain of The Mark
@Fuin Elda

To Trewyn
Ærn Anhyrne
Eastfold, Riddermark

Dear Trewyn (and Ceadda, because I know you're reading this to her),

I know I promised to write to you, but this is not quite the circumstances I was anticipating. I need help. By the time this letter reaches you, I'll be at least a week into my recovery period... but the situation at the Hornburg was far worse than I anticipated. I've been injured, nearly to the loss of my life, and will be unfit for Cavalry duty for quite some time, if I recover fully at all.

My cousin will be busy running the clothing shop in Edoras, and with Mettarë a mere two months out I don't want to interrupt her work. Would you be able to come and help me home?

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I don't have anyone else to ask.

Taethowen

~~~

Ceadda, please provide your mother with any funds necessary for her travel and preparations from the estate's accounts.

Thain of The Mark
@Shivased

First Marshal Shivased
Dragon Room, Edoras

I know I ought to do something like this in person, but I think under the circumstances you'll forgive me.

As my last act as Second Marshal, I would like to recommend Amadhrill for the position of Bealdorhæland. I've tried to reach Thalionwen several times over the last couple of months, and she seems to have vanished into thin air. Amadhrill showed considerable skill and care--of which I'm certain you're aware--when I was injured, and she more than deserves the position.

With this letter, I hereby resign as Second Marshal of the Riddermark, effective immediately. I regret that it comes so quickly behind Third Marshal Gwai's own resignation as well, but the hælend here is concerned that I may never have full use of my right arm again, and even if I do it may be many months before I'm able to even think about wielding a weapon. In light of this--for while I'm proficient with shooting a bow with either hand, I am not proficient at sword-fighting with my left hand--I think my resignation is the best course of action for now.

Westu hal, Shivased. I'm sure we will meet again, especially considering our family estates are so near each other.

Taethowen Anhyrne

Dear Eldreda,

You may want to sit down before you read this letter. I'm hoping that rumors have not yet made it as far as Edoras, and that you're hearing this from me first.

The situation at the Hornburg was far more grave than I anticipated, and... I may have been stabbed.

I'm all right. At least, I am now. Mostly.

I will confess that all of this happened nearly a fortnight ago. I wrote to Trewyn first--you remember me speaking of her, right? The mother of the steward I hired at Ærn Anhyrne.--and she arrived last night to take me back to the estate. I imagine we'll be well on our way there by the time this letter reaches you, so there is no need to drop everything and come to tend me.

I've already disrupted your life once this year, asking you to come look after the shop. And I'm sure you're swimming in Mettarë commissions by now. Please don't worry about me. I'll be all right.

Taeth

@Lailthoron

To Lailyn
New Town, Edoras

Dear Lail,

I don't know what rumors have spread from the Hornburg to Edoras yet, but I wanted to let you know that I'm all right. It seems my Cavalry career is likely at an end, though. On the same day I arrived at Helm's Deep, I survived not one but two murder attempts, and the injury I've received will take quite some time to heal, and I may not be able to fight again.

I will be returning to my estate in the Eastfold soon, and likely not stopping in Edoras on the way back. But I consider you a dear friend now, and I'd like to stay in touch, no matter what.

Please write, often. Winter at Ærn Anhyrne will be long and boring.

Taeth

Taeth,

What do you mean you were stabbed?! And how dare you sneak away on the sly! But you're right, I am drowning in Mettarë commissions right now. However, I will be closing shop and coming to visit you at the estate over the holiday, and I don't want to hear any protests about the matter.

Eldreda

@Nessa Saelind

A day or two after Rihannon's visit to Awesnis, a small package is delivered to her...

Dear Rihannon,

Imagine my surprise when I arrived home the same evening I met you to discover that you were the person I'd been given for the Mettarë Diegolwine! Please enjoy the enclosed gift, and know that upon my return I will be happy to teach you the embroidery pattern.

Eldreda

Contained in the small package are a pair of clocked silk stockings and a silk handkerchief, all embroidered with the Mettarë motifs (hellebore flowers and holly) to match the ones embroidered on Rihannon's Mettarë gown for the feast.

Ent Ancient
Taethowen
Ærn Anhyrne, Eastfold

Dear Taeth,

I was not sure what was true, and yes, I suppose I did not want to believe it. I tried to ignore the rumours...I am so relieved you are alright but to be honest, I am shocked. I can’t believe it of my old éored...! It seems there has been more unrest in the Mark than I ever expected while I was away. I’m so sorry...it must have been terrifying.

I suspect you are once again downplaying the gravity of the situation and I don’t know whether it’s for my benefit or your own. It’s fine. I respect your ability to be so...calm. If I didn’t think you’d tell me not to, I’d march off to the Eastfold this very minute. All you need to do is ask.

I will write and I hope very much I may have good things to tell you. I would wish you a Happy Mettarë but it somehow seems wrong in light of everything....

I am thinking of you, my friend.
Lail
----

@Shivased, First Marshal of the Mark
Dear First Marshal Shivased,

I know you have received the official reports from the Cavalry Liaison Office already, however, there were a few things I wanted to raise with you that are not entirely in keeping with the context of a report, which to my mind, ought to be strictly factual.

I wanted to extend my gratitude and appreciation to those wigends who were recently on duty with me. Æthelwigend Tord and Dryhtguma Dicun were nothing less than professional and quick-thinking on their feet when the disturbance arose. Æthelwigend Tord first noticed the horses on the loose and Dryhtguma Dicun did not hesitate to take initiative. They combed the market and ensured the safety of people and horses alike.

Further, though he was not on duty at the time, Dryhtguma Éomund was remarkably calm and level-headed in assisting me with rounding up one of the particularly stubborn steeds.

With the end of the year upon us and all that has happened, I hope this message is uplifting for you, knowing there are many responsible and respectful wigends in your ranks. Not only is the Mark in good hands with their swords, spears and shields, but their pride and dedication, too.

I hope this letter is not out of turn for my position and I wish you well this Mettarë season.

Sincerely,
Lailyn

Balrog
Dear King Éomer

It has come to our attention recently that a ruined settlement has been discovered in the White Mountains approximately fifteen leagues southeast of Edoras. This discovery was made by individuals engaging in an independent exploratory survey mission several months ago. Preliminary observations, statements, detailed questioning have determined that this site is pre-Númenórean in origin. How old the site actually is isn’t known at this juncture, but speculation and supposition has been made that it could be as old as pre-Crossing, over seven thousand years old. The opportunity to study such a site, which has remained remarkably intact, would be a great boon to the Lindon Guild of Anthropological Studies and the rest of the world at large. The settlement is not a large one, using measurements common to Rohan it is only about one or two hundreds in area, and it is somewhat difficult to reach as there are no roads or trails.

The reason for we are sending you this letter is to request a team of anthropologists and archeologists be allowed to climb to the settlement and begin an excavation of the site in preparation for study of the site and any of the artifacts found therein. We would also welcome any and all assistance you might be willing to offer, from food and supplies to workers and observers. We realize this site is deep within Rohan territory and therefore of cultural significance and do not wish to proceed with the excavation without the expressed consent of you, the king.

Additionally, we will look to consult with you or a chosen representative on what is to be done with any and all artifacts that are uncovered at the site. Should you wish to keep any or all of them, they will be handed over happily and without delay.

To that end, we request that you, King Éomer, select a Rohirric representative to help lead the team of excavators and researchers. We believe this will not only promote cooperation between our two cultures and increase the viability of the study, but also that additional avenues of study will be available.

Our team would be organized and run by Patsimiel Yoshiyo, a young elven scholar who has expressed interest in the site. She has been chosen due to her familiarity with Rohan and several of the denizens within Edoras after attending your Mettarë Feast this past winter, her respect for native cultural sites, and her extensive work in the field of comparative mythology and linguistics.

We hope you find these terms agreeable. Should you find anything amiss, please do not hesitate to contact us or intervene in the study at any given point.

With regards,

Ñarmotar Mórohtelë
Guildmaster of the Lindon Guild of Anthropological Studies

-------

@Shivased
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Ent Ancient
Dear King Éomer,

I am writing to express my sincerest interest in acting as a liaison for the excavation and expedition at the newly discovered ruins in the White Mountains. I doubt you are at all familiar with me, so I will make a brief introduction. My name is Lailyn. I established an apiary and meadery here in Edoras after returning home from travelling abroad. I am a retired Pæthfindian of the Westmark.

You might wonder why a humble beekeeper such as myself would be interested, or qualified, and indeed, I have thought much the same myself. There must be someone more wise and knowledgeable in these matters than myself.

However...I had the pleasure of meeting the scholar Yoshiyo at the Mettare Feast. I understand she is to be heavily involved in, possibly leading, the expedition. That evening, she asked me if I would be interested in such a role. I told her I would consider it. Given the time to do so, I would like to accept her request.

If I must make a case for myself aside from Yoshiyo's invitation, let it be this: I have some familiarity with Elvish language and customs from my travels, I was born and raised in the Westfold so I know well the values of our people and I have been entrusted to act in a similar capacity for the Cavalry Liaison Office. Though I am no scholar myself, it would be an honour to serve in this role and to represent the Mark and her people in cooperation with the Elven scholars.

You have my deepest thanks for considering my request.

Sincerely,
Lailyn
---
@Shivased