Ekphrasis

Discussions in Middle-earth lore, language and books.
Hasty Ent
Ekphrasis: the description or interpretation of a piece of art, usually visual, in a different artistic medium.

This is a Tolkien-fandom-wide event dedicated to the art of ekphrasis in Tolkien's worlds. Its goal is to illuminate the artistic surroundings of the places, people, and stories we love, in as many media as possible. As such, fanworks are welcome to take almost any form: see the FAQ for the full list!
I am happy to publicize this event, but do so here in Lore because it got me thinking that (a) Ekphrasis should be found in Tolkien's stories, but (b) very rarely is, and (c) that is curious.

I mean, the whole deal with the Elves is their enchanting art, and the Dwarves are also makers of wonderous things, and the Ring and other such stuff of Necromancy is just counterfeit Elvish art. So the stories are all about art, and yet we don't seem to have much that counts as Ekphrasis.
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

Hasty Ent
On his second night in the house of Bombadil, 'either in his dreams or out of them, he could not tell which':
Frodo heard a sweet singing running in his mind: a song that seemed to come like a pale light behind a grey rain-curtain, and growing stronger to turn the veil all to glass and silver, until at last it was rolled back, and a far green country opened before him under a swift sunrise. (Fog on the Barrow-downs)
A sweet song, which seemed to come like a pale light behind a grey rain-curtain... This is an instance of ekphrasis, right?

Compare.
And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise. (The Grey Havens)
This is not ekphrasis because the sound of the song and the vision as the grey curtain is drawn are discrete. Right?

Anyone?

Esquire of The Mark
I would say it's more the description of a vision in both instances than ekphrasis. Because he doesn't really describe the song in much detail, he's more so describing a scene in nature, which Frodo sees first in a vision and then in reality when he sails to Valinor.

An example of ekphrasis would, I believe, be the beginning of the Silmarillion in which he greatly details the songs that create the world into being. The Music of the Ainur can be considered an artwork, which is described in a literary context.
Then the voices of the Ainur, like unto harps and lutes, and pipes and trumpets, and viols and organs, and like unto countless choirs singing with words, began to fashion the theme of Iluvatar to a great music; and a sound arose of endless interchanging melodies woven in harmony that passed beyond hearing into the depths and into the heights, and the places of the dwelling of Iluvatar were filled to overflowing, and the music and the echo of the music went out into the Void, and it was not void. (Tolkien, The Silmarillion)
And whither then? I cannot say...

Hasty Ent
Melahny_oftheWoods wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:21 pm An example of ekphrasis would, I believe, be the beginning of the Silmarillion in which he greatly details the songs that create the world into being. The Music of the Ainur can be considered an artwork, which is described in a literary context.
Right! And that foundational transformation of music into vision is what I am sensing - but having difficulty pinning down - in other instances too, not just the rain curtain above.
Frodo heard a sweet singing running in his mind: a song that seemed to come like a pale light behind a grey rain-curtain, and growing stronger to turn the veil all to glass and silver, until at last it was rolled back, and a far green country opened before him under a swift sunrise.
In this quote - from the dream-vision in the house of Bombadil - what goes on in Frodo's head is that he hears a song. The vision that follows is a description of the song, presented as a similie. We read and think we are reading a vision, but actually we are reading a visual similie about a sweet song. Does that sound right? And if so, is this an instance of ekphrasis? (It is not a term I have used before.)

Esquire of The Mark
You are right and I totally missed that about Frodo's vision in the house of Bombadil. It's because Tolkien describes his scenes SO well, that I pictured it clearly in my mind and just assumed it was a vision Frodo was seeing.

But actually he heard a song in his mind, and that melody seems to have made him think of or picture these images. Almost like the melody is communicating this information to him, of what he will see when he crosses to Valinor. This reminds me of the Music of the Ainur as well. Sound that brings things into being.

Perhaps then, yes this would be Ekphrasis too.
And whither then? I cannot say...

Hasty Ent
Melahny_oftheWoods wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:20 pm You are right and I totally missed that about Frodo's vision in the house of Bombadil. It's because Tolkien describes his scenes SO well, that I pictured it clearly in my mind and just assumed it was a vision Frodo was seeing.
I am really glad you say that! I was worried I was getting something upside-down. And you are totally right about Tolkien's craft of writing. Back in January I wrote a whole comparison of these two passages - and completely missed that Frodo's vision is a song. I only noticed that the other day, and only after encountering this notion of ekphrasis (not exactly a word I use everyday).