The Towers of No Return: Knowledge

"Going to Mordor!" Cried Pippin. "I hope it won’t come to that!"
Black Númenórean

The Towers Of No Return: Tower of Knowledge

Not far from Carach Angren are the fabled Towers of No Return, a training ground where warriors and the wise (and the not so wise) go to prove themselves...

As you make your way to the gate of the Towers, you are greeted by the current keeper, a tall, lean, twisted orc known as Swiltang. Surprising as it may seem that the Maugân of the Black Host is not keeper of the Tower of Might, Swiltang has gathered a great deal of knowledge over his long life- knowledge which you must now prove yourself equal to in order to defeat the Tower of Knowledge.

Swiltang shows you in and you find the Towers are a misnomer: the Tower of Might is more of a dungeon, where you must travel deeper and deeper and face various creatures with differing weapons to find out just how far you can go... whereas the Tower of Knowledge is a tower indeed, where you must answer questions both speculative and factual to the satisfaction of the Loremaster before you can venture up to the next level. This thread is for the Tower of Knowledge only, to take on the Tower of Might, go HERE.

To start, RP entering the gatehouse and speaking to Swiltang. Each level, you will be presented with a quandary related to anything evil in Middle Earth, whether it be a simple question, a riddle to solve, a debate topic on which you must take a stand, or anything in between. Quandaries will increase in difficulty the higher up the tower you climb... if you answer wrongly, you must try to answer another challenge at the same level. Three wrong answers in a row, and you go back to level 1.

**Sources used may include the Hobbit, the LotR, the Silmarillion, and the Unfinished Tales**

There are 10 levels
Updates will be made in BOLD BLACK so please do not post in that
At the start of your post please state in bold or underline your name and what level you are on
Yes bold black is fine for your name and level
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Balrog
Krakzun, The Tower of Knowledge Gatehouse

It had been a very long time since he was last in the Black Lands. He would have kept it that way too, if he had had any say in the matter. However, a few rounds of drinking with Tagane at On the Rocks and somehow he not only agreed to show her around Mordor, but had bragged that he could beat the fabled Tower of Knowledge. Note to self, don’t drink with Tagane again.

Not that his boast wasn’t true. The black skinned orc knew in his bones, those he wore now, he could beat the Tower and come out a champion. It was really a matter applying himself toward a goal he didn’t care a whit about a day before.

He woke up that morning with a stinging hangover and the vague memory that he was supposed to be here, now, at the Tower of Knowledge. It was strange name for a place in Mordor. Everything and everyone died so quickly around here that it was hard to believe there could be a repository of knowledge, let alone enough to fill a tower. Still, it was a place worth exploring. Krakzun was well aware of the potential secrets he could find and the many uses and applications they could have.

He strode, then, to the tower’s gatehouse. A large orc, a few inches taller than Eldûrien would have been, stood in his path.

“You must be the gatekeeper,” he intoned and gave a rudimentary bow. “I’ve come to test myself against that,” he pointed at the tower beyond them. “Where do I start?”
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Istari Steward
Ducky, The Tower of Knowledge Gatehouse

Ducky did not know why he was here, which was a bit awkward seeing as how this was the Tower of Knowledge. If this was a Tower where you were required to show off some knowledge, he was woefully under-prepared, just from the get-go. Honestly he wasn't sure he knew anything, even that. The Tower wasn't exactly inviting either. He looked up at its tall crags, squinting through the blowing dust around him on the plain. There was nothing to stop the turbulence, so he was wearing heavier robes than usual in an attempt to shield himself from the elements.

He was here as a bit of punishment (or rather extra punishment) for stealing a book from one of the other Towers not so long ago. The powers that be had deemed it fitting for him to have to attempt to display knowledge for trying to steal knowledge, so here he was, more physically frail after the first round of torture, and about to be mentally blasted by the tests of the intellect. He sighed. They had not exactly sent a handler after him, but he knew that if he attempted to do anything other than what he was told, it would go the worse for him. So, on to it.

He trudged up to the gatehouse, addressing the looming orc guardian tentatively,

"'Allo chap, mind lettin' me in? I've got a bit of an errand in there, if you don't mind. Sauron's orders and wot. You know how it is." He laughed nervously. "Please?" Wizards, of course, knew the magic word.

Black Númenórean
LEVEL ONE

Swiltang greets you with a grim sort of smile and a jerk of the head, indicating that you should enter the tower. On level one, you can expect none too difficult of a test, but a test nonetheless. The orc halts partway across the first floor of the tower- between you and the open portal to the stairs leading to the next level. "If you can't answer this question," he growls, "you don't deserve to be here."

@Frostbite: About what did Gildor ask Frodo if Gandalf had told him nothing?

@KingODuckingham: Who was known to Frodo Baggins (and others) as the Enemy?

Ent Ancient
Soreya at the Gatehouse

A woman approached the tower with slow, unhurried steps. Her dark eyes glinted with desire as her gaze reached the tower's top. She hoped to reach its upper floors triumphant.

Soreya was looking to entertain herself in a more dignified manner than those at the Tower of Might. After all, even a lowly, brainless orc had a chance at winning there. A mighty Haradrim like her should spend her time on better pursuits. Not to mention her talents were more subtle. Beneath her outer layer of scarlet silk, she carried a number of sachets and vials containing a wide variety of poisons. Some acted fast, some turned the victim's face blue and others just induced pain.

So it was with confidence that the Haradrim woman sauntered up to Swiltang. She flung a gold-threaded braid of hair over her shoulder. "I am here to conquer the Tower. Give me your worst."

Istari Steward
Ducky, answering Level One

The wizard stared blankly for a long time after hearing the first riddle. There was no disadvantage to taking his time, right? And there was certainly a penalty for failure. So Ducky dragged the situation out, no doubt much longer than Swiltang appreciated. The silence was palpable. Ducky finally ended the silence by coughing, suddenly and nervously.

"I, ah, I think I know the answer." he said.

Another long silence followed. Ducky laughed but it was dry in his throat and quickly turned into another wretching cough. The damnable dust was really making things difficult for him.

"Is it...Lord Sauron?" Ducky asked, voice squeaking awkwardly at the end. He fidgeted and waited for the answer to be declared correct (or otherwise) with bated breath.

OOC: What the actual heck I forgot this thread existed, despite checking Mordor daily for any threads I missed WOW

Elven Enchanter
Zarâm - The Tower of Knowledge Gatehouse

Zarâm marched up to the Tower of Knowledge, her feet thumping loudly on the ground. Long had she seen this place, and after her recent adventures throughout Middle Earth, she finally believed that she was capable of partaking in such a feat. she approached the gatekeeper, Swiltang, and said, "I am Zarâm and I am here to conquer this delightful tower. Show me where to go and I will do my worst." Of course, in Mordor, doing your worst was actually something that was encouraged and did not imply failure of any sort.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin - The Tower of Knowledge Gatehouse

She wasn't even entirely sure how she ended up in the Black Lands, that in itself was terrifying. She had been here before though once many many years ago and she was not about to be cowed into running home just yet, while she was here she might as well see what the Enemy was up to. She saw the familiar gate and ground her teeth. At least this one wouldn't be a fight all the way through she just had to use her wits and her brain. She walked up to the gatekeeper and inclined her head.

"I am ready to begin the tests." She said calmly and waited to be motioned through to take the first test.
Sereg a Dîn

Black Númenórean
LEVEL ONE

Swiltang greets you with a grim sort of smile and a jerk of the head, indicating that you should enter the tower. On level one, you can expect none too difficult of a test, but a test nonetheless. The orc halts partway across the first floor of the tower- between you and the open portal to the stairs leading to the next level. "If you can't answer this question," he growls, "you don't deserve to be here."

@Lail What was the name of the dark figure streaming with fire that attacked the Fellowship?

@Dimcairien Luiniel What is known as Isildur's Bane?

@Fuin Elda Who killed Óin?

LEVEL TWO
You have answered the first question correctly! Swiltang stands aside to allow you to pass up the stairs to the next level. Upon reaching the top of the stairs, you find yourself in a strange room with many spiderwebs... and Swiltang facing you again. He raps his knuckles against the wall impatiently. "So you aren't a complete idiot. Try this one on for size."

@KingODuckingham Whose face does Treebeard say became like windows in a stone wall?

@ ALL ((Apologies to those who have been waiting! First I was waiting on players, then you were waiting on me, in any case I will endeavor to update every 24-48 hours now))

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin - Level One

The elf followed the orc into the tower and was ready for his abrupt stop, she had done this before many many years ago. She smiled at his growled threat of not deserving to be here if she could not answer the question. She almost laughed at how absurdly easy the first question was, but she knew there were many more levels to this tower and there was a good chance that before the end she would be wishing once more for the easy questions that Swiltang was currently asking.

"That would be The Watcher in the Water." She muttered on her breath that really the watcher was more of a what than a who, but who knew with evil creatures perhaps they thought fell beasts where whos as well.

Black Númenórean
LEVEL TWO

You have answered the first question correctly! Swiltang stands aside to allow you to pass up the stairs to the next level. Upon reaching the top of the stairs, you find yourself in a strange room with many spiderwebs... and Swiltang facing you again. He raps his knuckles against the wall impatiently. "So you aren't a complete idiot. Try this one on for size."

@Fuin Elda Who are two dark beings known as 'the Great'?

High Lord of Imladris
Level Two

She frowned slightly thinking she had to think for several minutes before remember two foul beasts of old that she did her best to forget. And hoped that they were who Swiltang was speaking of. "Gothmog the Balrog and Ancalagon the Black." She said sounding much more sure than she actually was. They were both considered the greatest of their kind, and were from her own memory horrifically terrifying and monstrous. She supposed that would be a measure of greatness to those in the Shadowlands.

Black Númenórean
LEVEL TWO

@Fuin Elda
A wicked smile curls Swiltang's face, exposing many pointed teeth as he shakes his head slowly. "Incorrect," he growls, "Tut tut. Though both Gothmog and Ancalagon were undoubtedly great, neither of them were known as 'the Great'. Try again."

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin - Level 2

She glowered for a moment and debated on punching Swiltang right in his pointy teeth. But reminded herself she was just beginning, not to agitate the orc by making it bleed otherwise she likely would never leave this blasted tower, she remembered now why she had avoided the knowledge on all those years ago, she swore there had been a third once upon a time that was not this sort of knowledge... Riddles? Had it been riddles? It must have been riddles.

She sighed and pondered for several minutes before rolling her eyes. The Great.

"Shelob and Morgoth." She knew Shelob had been called the great at least once and Morgoth had that title as well. Honestly how Shelob a bloody annoying spider got called the great she didn't know Gothmog and Ancalagon were both far more 'the Great' Compared to her.
Sereg a Dîn

Ent Ancient
Soreya, Level One
She sauntered into the Tower, listened to the question and barely held back a roll of her eyes. Apparently the first level was something even the lowest of lowly snagas could pass. "Is this meant to be a challenge or not?" she asked Swiltang with a disdainful look in her eyes. She crossed her arms, clearly unimpressed.

"The answer to your pathetic question is obviously the Balrog known as Durin's Bane." There was absolutely not a shred of doubt in her mind. If she was not correct, then she deserved to spend a night or two in the Black Pits as punishment for sheer idiocy. It was a good thing this Haradrim was not an idiot.

(OOC: no worries, Moriel! please take your time.)

Black Númenórean
LEVEL TWO

@Lail

Whom did Pippin hear Grishnákh say was a dirty treacherous fool?

@Fuin Elda
"Shelob is indeed known as Shelob the Great," Swiltang replies with a nod, but it quickly becomes another slow shake of his head. "And yet, the Elder King, called Morgoth by his enemies, was not known as 'the Great'. You have one more try, to name another dark being known as 'the Great'."

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin Level 2

Fuin Gave a shrug. "Honestly you have such odd and strange ideas of who is the great, that I am not surprised I don't know it. after all everything and its pet werewolf is the Great something or other and I can't remember one that doesn't have that so I'll happily guess at Carcharoth To go with Shelob and be done with this question and try a new batch." She said with a flippant shrug that very likely would annoy the orc that she was not taking this challenge perhaps as seriously as she aught to.
Sereg a Dîn

Ent Ancient
Soreya, Level Two
A dirty, treacherous fool...that was an apt description of quite a few folk she was familiar with. But none of them were remarkable enough to be the answer to this question. So who was maybe not remarkable, but infamous enough, to be the subject of this query? This questions required a little more time for her to ponder as she searched her memory for the story of the halfling who somehow escaped the clutches of the orcs who held him captive. Foolish orcs.

"I believe I am correct in thinking that Grishnákh called Saruman a dirty, treacherous fool. And I have to say I agree."

Istari Sage
Daethir -- At the Gatehouse

Of all the inane and infuriating task his new commander had given him completing both towers of no return was, almost by very definition, the most absurdly impossible task he had been given to date. He was beginning to wonder if regaining his previous rank and privilege was even worth being run through the proverbial ringer. He began to consider his options. Returning home east was out of the question, he had burned that bridge long ago and not just in the metaphorical sense. The free people of Middle-earth seemed highly unlikely to accept someone of his particular talents, even if Daethir had a mind to join them which he certainly did not.

All-in-all this did not leave Daethir with many alternatives. He supposed he would have to tackle the towers and, should he survive, likely an indeterminant number of other arduous tasks which his commander would inflict upon him until he fulfilled whatever unstated requirements there were to regain his position.

This 'Tower' at least seemed to indeed be a tower unlike the Tower of Might which appeared not to be a tower, Daethir shook his head. As he made his way into the dark tower he spied Swiltang who seemed to be in charge. "I'm here to test my knowledge and scale the tower" he said in a resigned and almost robotic way. He wasn't looking forward to this but perhaps he'd at least be somewhat better suited for this tower than the other.

Renown: 3

Black Númenórean
LEVEL ONE

@Romeran What word does Legolas often say when falling into his own tongue?

Istari Sage
Daethir -- Level One

Passing through the gate to the tower, Daethir nodded curtly at Swiltang as he was ushered inside. They made their way though the first level Daethir was beginning to wonder when the questioning would begin. He was just considering if perhaps there were no questions and that the tower had banked on there simply not being anyone in Mordor curious enough to answer lore questions, when the orc growled a question. Daethir paused for a moment.

"Legolas was not known for speaking much" he said, not immediately answering in order to buy time "no less in his mother tongue" he continued "which is sindarin of course as you must know" still buying time "but I believe the word you're loooking for is 'Yrch', that is 'orcs', in plurality." He waited, regarding the orch with curiosity.

Renown: 4

Black Númenórean
LEVEL TWO

@Romeran

Against whom did Morgoth send spirits of shadow?

@Fuin Elda
Swiltang's laugh is deep and resonant as he shakes his head, red eyes glinting. "Wrong." he hisses, and suddenly everything around you seems to dissolve into blackness. What was that and how did it happen? Before you have a chance to begin to work it out, the word reforms and you find yourself back on LEVEL ONE. "Let's try this again." Swiltang says silkily, leaning against the frame of the door that will let you back up to the second level.

Whose ire was more fierce than fire?

Istari Sage
Daethir -- Level Two

Daethir let out a brief sigh of relief as he was informed that his answer had indeed been correct. He tried not to make the sigh audible as he wanted to maintain an presence of confidence. Swiltang stood aside and Daethir moved forward up the stairs to the next level. No sooner had he reached the cob-web stricken second floor than the voice of Swiltang returned. Daether looked at the orc with surprise, 'how had he gotten here?' he thought.

An eyebrow raised at Swiltang's remark about his intellect and Daethir had to restrain himself from reprimanding the orc. Not only was Daethir no longer of a rank where he could do that, he had to continuously remind himself, but furthermore this was Switlang's abode, not his, and clearly he was far more powerful than Daethir had originally given him credit for.

The second question took them back in time to long before Mordor and the tower in which they stood. Daethir had to pause, thinking back over his ancient lore of the beginnings of the world. "Morgoth ever hate the light be it lamp or tree or moon" he said, in preamble to his answer "and when the Valar sought to recover from the destruction of the two trees, they sent for Maia to bear the last fruit of the trees in the sky" it was dark in Mordor and they were inside a tower so Daethir had no way to motion to the sky, which he would have done so for dramatic effect given the chance. "But Morgoth hated these new lights and he assailed Tilion, who carried the moon, sending his spirits of shadow against him." Datheir said in response "but alas for Morgoth, Tilion was victorious and the light of the moon draws still across the sky".

Renown: 6

Black Númenórean
LEVEL THREE

@Romeran
You have answered the second question correctly! Swiltang barks a laugh. "So, insults get results, do they? So predictable." Again he stands aside, sidling into a shadow. As you approach the door leading onward, you find he has disappeared completely. Passing through the door, you this time travel up not a flight of stairs, but two steep ramps, with a hairpin turn between. As you trudge through the portal leading to the next level, you find that the lean, twisted master of the Tower of Knowledge has beaten you there. "Hurry along," Swiltang sneers, "And put your mind to work." His voice takes on a rhythmic quality as he recites your next clue:

Kill them quick
Kill them now;
Not yet, not yet-
I command,
Returning with them,
By the shortest road.
Who am I?

Istari Sage
Daethir - Level Three

A scowl came across Daethir's face as the orc suggested that insulting him was what got results and that that was somehow predictable. He didn't deign the orc with a rebuttal. He had answered correctly, at least, it turned out his ancient lore was sufficient so far at least.

Again the orc stood aside an Daethir went to pass but he watched the orc suspiciously again. Vanishing was all he could see, as if he had put the One Ring on, or perhaps this was not even an orc but rather the specter of one? He tried to push these thoughts aside and continued up to the third floor. The ramps on the floor were steep and Daethir had to struggle not to lose his footing as he made his way about the hairpin turn. To his surprise, although he was beginning to expect this would be a consistent feature, the orc, or spirit, or whatever he was, was already waiting for him. Daethir frowned.

The clue was more of a poem or a riddle this time than a direct question. There were clearly two speakers -- the one wishing to kill 'them' quick and the other who commands. Since the commander is referred to as 'I' Daethir took this to be the subject. There were a few instances where quarry had been caught, including Frodo and the tower of Cirith Ungol. But there was one which stuck out in his mind as an argument over whether to kill the captives or return them, there could only be one answer.

"You must be Uglúk then. For it was he who commanded that they return to Isengard by the shortest road with the captive hobbits, being Merry and Pippin, after another orc suggested that they 'kill them quick, kill them now'. "

Renown: 8

Black Númenórean
LEVEL FOUR

@Romeran
You have answered the third question correctly! Swiltang nods curtly. "I see you've spent time enough listening to gossip about failures- it can be a useful study. But will that be enough for you to conquer the tower?" As if the tower itself has an opinion about this, the stones beneath your feet shift suddenly, as if in an earthquake. And with Orodruin nearby, that could be the case! As quick as the shaking starts, it stops, and then you rocket upwards as a pillar beneath you shoots towards the ceiling. Just as it seems you're about to be crushed, a hole opens up and you pass through, coming to rest on the floor of the next level. This room is lit by torches and sparkles as with the eyes of many spiders. Swiltang stands calmly before you, red eyes glinting among the black. "If your heart hasn't stopped, let's proceed."

Evil in action
Evil in law;
Mighty and proud,
But fatally flawed.
The Great will be mine-
I come upon a sunset,
And will not be denied.
Who am I?

Istari Sage
Daethir - Level Four

The sudden eruption of the earth beneath him as it nearly crushed him into the ceiling came as an utter surprise to Daethir who nearly stumbled off the ledge before he made it to the second room. Instinctively, Daethir’s hand dropped to the hilt of his dagger and he crouched as he was driven into the next room. He stood somewhat more relaxed as he saw the familiar orc’s face. This was a peculiar place indeed and he was beginning to wonder what fantastic things he might see should his lore prove sufficient to the subsequent floors.

The riddle on the fourth floor was considerably harder than the previous. He paused for a great deal of time and had to think before answering. Even still he was quite unsure if he answer was correct but he saw that the orc was waiting for a response.

“I think you might be Ar-Pharazôn” he said tentatively. “It is said that it was an evil action to take Míriel as wife and it was against the law as they were close kin. When he was king it was said that great darkness came upon Númenor and indeed the white tree was cut down. He was proud and mighty being a great commander of men before he took the crown. There are two instances where Ar-Pharazôn comes upon sunset for ‘the great’.” He paused, unsure consequently if this was a fit “the first he comes to the shores of middle earth at sunset seeking to take Sauron the great and in this case he was not denied. But he also leaves the shores of Númenor at sunset seeking The Great, that is the Valar. And it is of course this pride, his fatal flaw, which becomes his undoing and indeed the destruction of all of Númenor” it was a reasonable guess and fit the riddle well enough, Daethir thought, but he was not as confident in the answer as he had been with the previous. He suddenly wondered whether he would get more than one attempt.

Renown: 11

Black Númenórean
LEVEL FIVE

@Romeran
You have answered the fourth question correctly! "Sound reasoning," Swiltang nods, "if slow. Let us see if your wits become quicker the further you rise." As if on cue, a section of the stone wall across the room slides open- but not with the grinding that might be expected, just a smooth silence. Beyond it lies what seems to be a fathomless voice, but when you look away from it, Swiltang has gone. Crossing the room, you find you can take up a torch beside the doorway to guide you- what is beyond the door? The light reveals only tightly spiraling stairs. Your torch illuminates only a few at a time as you begin to climb. And with you climb many spiders, the faint rustling of their paws the only sound that accompanies you. At last the void comes to an end without further surprised, and you reach the next chamber, very similar to the last. More spiders await you here, ringing the edges of the room, top and bottom, much larger than those from before- and, of course, Swiltang.

"A different challenge for you this time," the towering orc says, the hint of a grin revealing more teeth than his twisted lip, "this time, you must combine knowledge with entertainment. My friends here," Swiltang gestures side to side, indicating the rustling spiders, "desire to know the tale of their greatest foremother. Regale us with the tale of Ungoliant, in your own words- and speculate on her motives, and her relationship with the Elder King. If her children don't think your tale measures up, well... I can't promise what happens after that."

High Lord of Imladris
LEVEL ONE

Well she never had been terribly good at lore, she knew enough to get by and riddles, well she had better luck with those they tended to give more information than a simple lore question. Unlike the Tower of Might where the consequences were far more deadly this one just meant she was stuck here with the foul Swiltang. There were worse things that could happen she had to admit.

She listened quickly to the newest question for her. Another lore one. She let out a sigh well she wondered if Swiltang would get more fed up with her lack of lore knowledge before she gave up fully on getting through this tower? There were a few things that she could think of in terms of having ire more fierce than fire, the first that popped into her mind thanks to her experiences with their sons, blessedly she'd never met him but their ire was harsh enough and he was a spirit of fire and a hot headed fool at best though there were some that would call her the same.

"Feanor?" She hazarded the guess.
Sereg a Dîn

Istari Sage
Daethir - Level Five

There continued to be a certain amount of relief whenever he managed to answer the question correctly. It might have had something to do with the imminent sense of death if he were to fail. Nevertheless he tried to mask the obvious breath of relief when he had been told he was correct.

The path the the next floor was filled with spiders. For many people spiders were a source of fear and nightmares. Daethir however had often been compared with a spider. Even as a child. He supposed his fondness over them likely stemmed from his internal desire to turn what was supposed to be an insult into a point of pride. It was a defense mechanism, perhaps, but it had been an effective one. And in this case at least it meant that the spiders did not disturb him much.

It was a surprise then when he was asked to tell a story and not answer some sort of question. He hadn’t been wholly prepared for this sort of thing but he was a great reader. “One moment, if you will” he said although he supposed he wouldn’t get much more than a moment. He stalled for as long as it looked like Swiltang would let him before he began. He would have to come up with the rest of it as he went.

“Wrought herself from Unlight void the weaver of gloom descends
From skies above, before the stars, and slips into the south.
The elder king sought her out seeking to be friends,
For light he’d share and give to her to feed her hungry mouth.

Forsake him still she did to be the mistress of her lust,
For darkness filled with emptiness can never feed enough.
The Light above in starlit sky she looked on with disgust,
But fate she had to crave the light, unable to rebuff.

In Avathar the darkest shadows lay at Pelóri’s end,
And hidden there the weaver stretched her webs of blackest night.
She tried to drink from mountain tops before she would descend,
But soon she was stranded there and famished from the light.

The Mighty Lord came to her in flight from Valinor,
A deal he had to make with her, a thing he wished destroyed.
With both his hands the king would give if she drank what they abhor:
The Trees of Light they’d go to kill and fill the sky with void.

A web she spun from shadows deep to top of mountain peak,
And follow did the Mighty Lord upon her woven tread.
He spied afar the fields ahead where the havoc they would wreak,
And leaped they did from mountain top cowled in dark and dread.

A feast they had in Valinor when the darkness did arrive
Into their midsts, and distracted they could not restrain the terrors from their quest.
Struck the trees with vicious spear and deeply did he drive,
And drank she did of life and light the things which they detest.

Fled they did from wrathful lords, but not before they stole
The gems and jewels of eldarkind, and crossed the icy road.
Close they got to Angband’s halls, the mighty Valar’s goal,
But stopped him then the weaver did for treasure she was owed.

Jewels then he fed to her from elven hoards they’d spoiled,
But Silmarils he did withhold and hid them in his hand,
“With both hands you’d give, you said to me” a dispute they had embroiled
“Nay, I say, they are for me” he said and took his stand.

Power great from light devoured the spider queen displayed,
And soon the Mighty Lord was found cocooned in Unlight thread.
Poised the weaver stood agape when Melkor called for aid,
And shrouded flaming Balrog whips kissed her as she fled.

South to Ered Gorgoroth she went and mated there
With spider spawn who then she paid with her hunger vast.
But soon she fled into the south, the land of shadow’s snare,
And there it’s said in famine did she eat herself at last.”

With his bit of verse finished he looked over at Swiltang and the spiders. None of them were very easy to read.

Renown: 15

Black Númenórean
LEVEL ONE

@Fuin Elda
Swiltang stares at you levelly, restraining his (pleasure? displeasure? hard to say). "That is incorrect, though I can see your logic. Not all questions, however, are to do with logic."

LEVEL SIX

@Romeran
Your answer, delivered in a form most unexpected, pleases the spiders greatly. A wild chittering of mouthparts and skittering of pedipalps and flashing of eyes sets up a chorus of applause, and even Swiltang nods with appreciation. "Well spoken indeed," the orc replies. He raises his clawed hands, and with a single thunderous clap, the spiders fall silent. Everything else seems to fall silent as well; in fact between one blinking and the next, you seem to be in a different room entirely, devoid of spiders. To one side, a small window (too small to squeeze through) provides a brief glimpse of the ground, far below. There don't appear to be any doors. Swiltang lounges against the opposite wall. "Another challenge for you," he growls, fingers drumming against one crossed arm, "This one both history and tactics. You must identify an altercation in the history of Middle-earth in which a dark power lost. Point out where and how they were unsuccessful, and suggest how they might have succeeded."