Riddermark Ærendgewrit—Rohirric Mail

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Knight of The Mark
Near the town center of Edoras stands a building with a weathered shingle bearing a picture of quill and ink and the words Riddermark Ærendgewrit. In these early days of the Fourth Age, many Rohirrim have begun to read and write and enjoy exchanging news with friends and family both near and far. In the center of the room is a table, equipped with quills, ink, and parchment, where visitors can pen their letters. Along the walls are several baskets where correspondence is deposited for sorting and delivery. Some of the more prominent citizens of Edoras have boxes with their names attached to the walls.

Welcome to the Edoras post office! This is where you can leave mail for Riders of Rohan. Letters are welcome from all lands. The only rules (outside of normal Plaza rules) are to please keep it in character, and post the recipient’s name in bold at the top of the post.

Be creative! Post love letters, birthday wishes, thank you notes—whatever is on your mind!

Knight of The Mark
Two letters lie in the basket awaiting delivery. They are addressed to two individuals, but the content of each is the same:

Dear Eldrith:
Dear Amadhrill:

Meeting up with you again in the pub brought back so many memories--of adventures (and misadventures) therein, of friendships forged, deepened, or renewed, of good ale and food. It made me very nostalgic for the days when you and Ama / Eldrith ran the old Ældsel with warm hearts and iron fists (when necessary). I hope you are considering reopening the Ældsel under your proprietorship, though I know the world is much changed and perhaps your hearts lie elsewhere.

Whether you do so or not, I pray to see Edoras returning to its former glory. With the return of so many of our good citizens, I have hopes of many good days ahead.

My best wishes to you, and as always, I am at your service,
Eléowyn

Chieftain of The Mark

Master Ælfred the One-Eyed,
Coldman's Heath, near Aldburg,
The Eastfold, Rohan

I write in haste, so this will be hard to read and won't make much sense

I have found tidings of one of our friends and believe they now travel towards Rohan from the west.

The last news I had of them was in the Shire, not long after we parted. The sighting was many days old - at least a month - but sends me on to Bree to see what I can find there.

If I pick up the slippery customer's trial there I plan to travel to Rohan myself.

See you at my earliest convenience,

Yours faithfully,

F.U.

Doorwarden of The Mark
A small child skipped into the Ærendgewrit, cheerfully stuffing a grubby looking envelope into one of the baskets, standing on her tippy toes to see if there were any sweets in it she might discover. Finding none, she shrugged and stuffed her hands into her pocket where the odd little rusty coin rested, her reward for brining the letter here from the ugly woman. Inside it read:

Maurthun Maede
Scarkmoor, High Plains of Dunland

Ha, I’ve done it! I’ve gotten into their nasty little Badger Chase! How they ever snared the poor thing, it won’t be theirs for long! I shall have him, save him, bring him back home before the new moon. Mark my word!

Keep a fire burning for our jubilant reunion.

Eógyth

Dúnadan
Mr & Mrs Gardinir
Four Fields
The Pelennor
Minas Tirith

Dear Mater and Pater

I am writing you a quick note from Rohan. I reached Edoras safely and I'm enjoying seeing all that there is to see here. The people of Rohan are very friendly and I am well fed and looked after. I will return to Gondor when there are messages from Rohan to take.

Much love
Calimir, your son

Oh! You might not get this letter before you see me. If I am the only errand rider from Gondor in Rohan I'll be delivering this to you!
man of gondor < Image > heart of rohan

Horse Trainer of The Mark
Audley ap Cyril
Westmark Eored
Helm's Deep

My sources tell me your pretty little wife is away, and thus that leaves you completely unguarded. Just like your brother was. I'd watch your back if I were you. Wouldn't want your lovely lass to lose another husband now would we?

~The Hawker

In War We Know Willpower, In Peace We Know Love~

Thain of The Mark
To Jakiewyn Ellenweorc (@Veowyn), delivered by messenger.

I have a potential client for a cloth dyeing project. Can you swing by the Riddermarket soon, or reply to this letter with a list of prices? The cloth in question is a few yards of undyed Rohan linen, and the client would like it in green.

Taethowen Anhyrne
Properietress of Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Esquire of The Mark
To Lady Bereth Freablod @Bereth

My dear friend,
If I may call you such. It is strange that so many years almost turned me to a hermit on the estate and now.. now I see myself returning to Edoras and others seemed to have felt the same urge. Even you were brought back here by the winds of fate. It's almost as if something is building and yet I do not know what. There have been some thefts.. not just on the estate though we lost one goat. But for others too.
I have received word that perhaps there are those who would like to see the Aeldsel restored, perhaps to bring good fortune when so many have come back from wandering. And I am thinking about it. It scares me, but I am thinking about it.
Oh my friend, I may have done something VERY foolish in my fear.
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

Doorwarden of The Mark
Ber had finally decided to set pen to parchment and send a letter off to Eldrith since she hadn’t been able to manage time for them to visit alone. She’d hoped to ride out to the Estate with her, not wanting to face all the memories alone. But when she arrived at the Riddermark Ærendgewrit, there was a letter already waiting for her! So after carefully pouring over the short missive, she set herself down to re-write hers.

My Dear @Eldrith ,

I’m quite happy to be called your Friend, though in truth, I think of you more like a sister. If we are family, and perhaps all that is left of the Freablods, then sister is apt and right, if you will?

So I am not the only to have felt the draw of home beckoning from afar. May the ‘winds’ bring even more, if possible.

I hear a struggle in your voice, and it warms me to think your services are valued and desired. I should love to keep you to myself out at the Aern, but I believe you are correct in your belief of a shift in the way of things. Not the least of which may be a sort of reversal in our roles in the Mark.

Time will tell.

But for now, I crave your telling of what it is that fear has driven you to do? I find it hard to think it’s as foolish as you may consider it.

Yours in great affection,
Bereth

((OOC: great minds think alike? I honestly had a letter already composed, lol))

Esquire of The Mark
@Bereth

My dear friend,

Our aunt. Or Sister. I do not know what the right word, except that you are Lady Bereth, who took me in, whom I love for that, and for more. I can not wait to show you the estate and give you reckoning, though unfortunately by myself I was unable to keep it up the way it should have been. But the house is well habitable still, and the kitchen garden still flourishes. There's a flock of goats and chickens, and I have been active on the loom. Most of the furniture has been covered, but that is easy to remedy.

I do not know yet about the Aeldsel. It's a big decision, but I can not help but think about it and with my friend Amadhrill having returned as well who held the pub with me, it seemed like a sign.

As to foolishness.. I do not think deciding to join the cavalry was foolish since I intend to be no more than a dryht and help where it is needed with food and bedding, just as I would at the Aeldsel.

*there was a pause there, visible in the darkness of the ink that had fully dried into the paper instead of being blotted as the rest was.*

But signing up for the Campian battle most likely was foolishness to say the least.

Let me know as to further plans. And talk me out of this, please!

Eldrith

Esquire of The Mark
The letter was written on a rather small piece of parchment, the words scrawled in the manner of one not used to writing but doing her best to make the letters presentable.

Dear Eléowyn,

Thank you for your kind words, I am flattered you think of the Ældsel, and Eldrith and me with it, with fondness and nostalgia. I will consider reopening the Ældsel, but I must discuss this with Eldrith and consider it together with my other duties of home and cavalry.

My best wishes, and always at your service,

Amadhrill
Hælend of Meduseld

Chieftain of The Mark

Master Ringbold Took
c/o Eléowyn the Fair
Edoras
The Riddermark

Dear freond,

I've scant hope of this reaching you. How far you are from the Mark, or whether indeed you have found a means of getting here, you alone know.

If you do find your way to Edoras I'm sure you will have not forgotten our last palaver. If you do not find Goldwhæt the one you call with fondess, Arthur, my sincerest hope is that you find Eléowyn

Protect her. Do whatever you must and keep her from the path she will seek to take.

If all else fails I shall look for you along Anduin.

Tot siens,

Ælf

Doorwarden of The Mark
Ber’s lips curled into an unconscious smile at the thought of what might await her at the estate as she read the first portion of @Eldrith’s letter, the imagery pleasant, even if it were not exactly as she recalled last. Nothing much was.

But her eyes widened, brows rose, even a small gasp that caused her to keep going over the last part several times, startling as it were. What was going on with Eldrith! First, the Cavalry? Now ... this? Her brows drawn together as she reached back into memory. Wasn’t it for ... weapons training?

Long moments ticked by as Ber pondered how to react, what to say, how to advise. Not something she wanted to put into a mere letter, she should go find and look into her eyes as she discussed it with Eldrith.

But a letter might be safer. Give her time to explore her feelings. Words couldn’t be retracted once spoken. Written words could be shaped and nudged and erased and begun again before the hearer took them in. Yes, she would write.

But what! She made herself begin:

My Dear Friend!

WHAT???!!!

No no, that wouldn’t do.

Again:

My Dear Friend,

The Campian? You do realize what that is, I trust? Are you sure you want to risk your life?

Do you have a death wish??!!

Ber scrunched it up again, sighing. Thinking. What had possessed her? Did Eldrith possibly have the skills for battle? What had her life been like before she arrived in Rohan?

One more attempt:

My Dear Friend,

I’m not sure what compelled your decision, and admit on the surface it’s a surprising one, to say the least. I cannot help but think there may be something beckoning you to this, and wonder what you bore before coming to find yourself in the land of the Riddermark when you did.

None of us are always what we appear, but are often shaped by forces we don’t always understand.

Besides, what’s the worst that could happen? And my Friend, you DO know how to butcher a goat, among other things, and have at the very least a rudimentary knowledge of sharp things. You may surprise us all!

However, if you truly want me to talk you out of it instead of cheer you on ...

As if struck by lightning, Ber realized it may already be too late, she thought that perhaps the competition had begun, so she quickly stuffed the unfinished, unsigned letter into a basket, and dashed out the door.

Thain of The Mark
To:- The Cavalry Marshals,

As requested by
Second Marshal Rowena, I report on the conduct of one cavalry re-trainee, Allacan Beorhtlig, who was tasked by the Second Marshal with interrogating a prisoner held under my watch to determine whether they would admit to any crimes that may allow us to find the man guilty of a punishable crime, but with consideration given to the delicate political situation of his noble rank within the Kingdom of Gondor.

Firstly, I must inform you that the prisoner known as
Cuthbert is dead. I will provide more details on that shortly, but if you could please make the necessary arrangements to contact their next of kin to arrange to collect the body, I would be much obliged.

The re-trainee
Allacan met with me prior to the interrogation, and provided an extremely frank and honest explanation of her plan to draw information from the prisoner; we discussed her intentions and purposes, and she revealed to me willingly the restricted information around her somewhat unique history and skill-set; I trust you understand what I refer to. She showed me the tools she had brought with her to this intended purpose, and her alternative outfit, if you take my meaning. Her intention was to convince the prisoner that she represented a neutral third party who had heard of his actions and was interested in recruiting him for nefarious activities in return for liberating him from his current incarceration. My subordinate Sperewigend Aellen was also included in the plan and was present during the debrief, and he will of course be available for further questioning if you wish to corroborate any of the information provided herein.

According to
Allacan her plan was partially successful; he admitted to a number of crimes of the anticipated sort, being womanizing and murdering. He confirmed again that he had killed the Second Marshal's friends and family and a number of cavalry soldiers, along with anyone who he deemed to have betrayed him or who might have have the potential, inclination or intention to betray him and additionally anyone who stood in the way of his designs, which included the individuals Kendrick Halwende and Raeden along with two of Kendrick's guard friends. He once again confirmed he had attempted to kill the Second Marshal herself. He also admitted to being the mastermind behind Kendrick’s attempts on Marshal Rowena and his influence on at least one other Dryhtguma who subsequently slipped on a pool of blood, hit his head and died. He confessed to his obsession with 'breaking' the Second Marshal in, with perhaps the inferred resemblance to that of breaking in a wild horse, and stated without remorse that he intended to continue murdering and making people submit to his will until the Second Marshal was either gone from the world, or too broken to continue her own life.

Perhaps of more concern however is that she learned of the hitherto unknown (at least to my knowledge) crime that he has arranged for the poisoning of his own parents in Gondor even while he remained here in our custody. I have of course sent urgent runners to forewarn his family of these plans in the event his actions have not yet come to fruition.

If it is indeed found to be true that his parents have suffered any such a mishap or narrowly avoided such a plot that was machinated while he was in custody, then I can only apologise that such a thing could possibly have happened on my watch, although I assure you I have no idea how he achieved such a thing when he has had so few visitors and even those are supposed to be under the careful watch of a cavalry chaperone. I cannot believe that any within my watch would betray the cavalry so much as to knowingly allow him the liberty to continue his machinations, however I will co-operate fully with any investigation into potential conspiracy within the Stockade staff that you deem required.

It was during the interrogation of
Cuthbert, when Allacan was alone in his cell with him, that Cuthbert sustained two crossbow bolt injuries and died. Due to the nature of Allacan's attempt to deceive the prisoner regarding her identity, I must confess that neither myself nor any of my other comrades were there to witness the event or his confessions ourselves, and by the time I had attended upon his cell Cuthbert was already dead. However much of the information Allacan provided in the debrief had not been noted in his records but were fitting with my own personal experience of the man and his self-absorbed fantasies and behaviour. She spoke on topics that I do not believe she could have known about if it did not come from his lips, and if the confession regarding his parents is true then that would be a testament to her honesty in other regards. According to Allacan, Cuthbert was sexually inappropriate, threatening and arrogant, however she admits that after hearing his confessions and assessing the nature of the man, that she herself killed him of her own volition, and that she will accept fault along with any disciplinary action necessary in relation to the same.

I understand that
Allacan will be presenting herself to you for judgment on her actions and I have provided this sealed letter for your consideration when making your assessment of her.

I must beg your leave now to speak frankly. Far be it from me to suggest what course of action you might wish to take regarding
Allacan, but I have watched over Cuthbert for some time and my assessment of his character was that he was a particularly unsavoury person who would never demonstrate remorse for his actions thus far, nor was he likely to ever cease his vendetta against the Second Marshal or his sadistic manipulation of others to his own cause. If he was telling the truth about being able to plot his parents' deaths even while in a cavalry cell and seeing visitors only with a cavalry chaperone, then I would have been extremely concerned at continuing to hold him in our protection for fear his manipulations and machinations might sow the seed of rebellion and mutiny, and that we might not be able to trust even our own soldiers in his presence. He clearly continues to have at least one ally, either within the cavalry or with connections, and even while incarcerated was a dangerous and conniving man.

While I appreciate that
Allacan acted without orders, I do not believe that she did so without any logic or conviction as to his guilt, and perhaps having once served as this cavalry's leader she is used to making the judgment call for herself and has on this occasion omitted to correctly seek authority before doing so. After years of service as a Watchmaster, one becomes astute at measuring a person, and my own assessment of Allacan is that she is a loyal soldier but a troubled individual, doing her best to consolidate her history and her odd skillset with her life in Rohan. I do not believe that she acted out of malice or selfish design, or that she was covering for her tracks in the event she was involved in Cuthbert's machinations. In fact, she seemed quite shaken by what the man had said to her while she was alone in the cell with him, and that is saying something for someone with her past! My own personal opinion is that she has done the cavalry and the Second Marshal a favour in ridding us of this man's presence, although I will of course bow to the wisdom and authority of my Marshals in this regard.

Kind regards,

Watchmaster Grimthain of the Westmark
Watch-master of the Helm's Deep Stockade
Ǣthelwigend
Pæthfindian of the Eastmark
Forged in fire, shaped by shadow
She/her.

Knight of The Mark
@Eldrith

Mistress Eldrith:

A matter has come to my attention that I think you may be able to help out with. I know you had expressed interest in the pub about joining the Cavalry in a non-combat role, as something of a cook or quartermaster. It has been brought to my attention that the store-rooms in Edoras have had an unforunate...accident. I am told they are in a horrible state, having been absolutely destroyed for some reason. The letter I received suggests some disaster on the scale of a herd of badgers, though the exact cause was not disclosed.

If you are still considering the Cavalry and willing to help, I request you report to me in the Dragon Room, where I can give you more information and provide you with an assistant. If you are still unsure or have chosen not to join the Cavalry, I fully understand; just send this messenger back relaying that and I will assign the task to another.

Sincerely

Shivased
First Marshal of the Mark, Eastmark Eored.
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Esquire of The Mark
@Shivased

Good greetings, First Marshall,

I am glad to hear from you. It is indeed my intent still to join the cavalry and I will report to the Dragon Room as soon as is possible. A storage room destroyed is a serious matter and while I am certain you will deal with those involved in the unfortunate destruction, I will be glad to take up the challenges to put it to rights. Badgers can be very destructive indeed.
And a herd of them... Well, I have some ideas. Forgive me for asking but is there also the possibility that in the ravages something was.. stolen?

Either way, I will definitely be there to take up the challenge of the storage room. I may be a bit delayed because I seem to have.. entered myself for the Campian as well, but I will be there. Duty before pleasure

With the greatest respect,
Eldrith

Dúnadan
Mr & Mrs Gardinir
Four Fields
The Pelennor
Minas Tirith

Dear Mater and Pater

I hope all is well in Gondor. I'm keeping busy in Rohan with dispatch riding from Edoras to the town of Aldburg. Other errand riders take message from there to MInas Tirith.

I hope to be home at the end of next month.

Much love
Calimir, your son

Oh, I entered a summer festival competition here. A Bath Tub Race! I came second with my partner, a man of Rohan, Durien

Thain of The Mark
To Starbreeze (@Fairy Nuff)
From Taethowen, at Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica

Starbreeze,

I'm sorry our interview was cut short during the Summer Festival. I had some Cavalry business come up that I had to attend to. I inspected the work you completed on the butcher's apron, and am more than happy with your skills so far! I would like to formally offer you an apprentice position at Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica!

If you're in need of accommodations, I have a house in Edoras with a couple of spare bedrooms. I'd be more than willing to either negotiate for rent, or for it to be as part of your salary from Awesnis.

Please reply as soon as possible and let me know!
Taethowen Anhyrne

To Seleðryðe (@Almarëa Mordollwen)
From Taethowen, at Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica

Seleðryðe,

Thank you so much for your work organizing the shop! Everything is much simpler to find now, and I'm more than happy to offer you the position of shop assistant at Awesnis, with the understanding that you'll become an apprentice once I've evaluated your skills. I'm writing to let you know that I may have to be away sporadically for the next little while on some Cavalry business, and since I promised you access to the shop to make your gowns, I wanted to meet with you about getting you a key.

Also, since you said you're staying at the inn, I wanted to offer you one of the spare rooms in the house I own in Edoras. There will potentially be another boarder there as well.

Please write back quickly, so we can figure out all the terms!
Taethowen Anhyrne
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Esquire of The Mark
To @Taethowen Anhyrne, Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica
From Starbreeze, Orthanc Tower

Dear Taethowen

Thank you for giving this old woman an opportunity to try out rusty skills, I am so pleased to hear that you found my work on the apron to be satisfactory. I am deeply grateful for your offer of an apprenticeship, which I gladly accept, for I very much enjoyed my time in the shop so far.

Currently I am living in Orthanc tower, but it is rather a ruin after...events at the end of the last age, and to be completely honest with you, wizards aren't the best at tidying up after themselves. I am therefore very interested in taking up your offer of accomodation in Edoras, which will be most convenient for the shop, whilst keeping me in touch with my Order nearby (where I don't have to smell their dirty socks!). If you are happy for accomodation to constitute part of my salary, that would be most convenient.

Please let me know when you would be ready for me to move in, I have few possessions so I can move with little notice. And although I am planning to spend some time travelling to Imladris shortly, I will be ready to resume my work in the shop whenever you need me, just let me know.

Kindest regards
Starbreeze
Starbreeze ~ Lily Knotwise ~ Itarildë Tinehtelë ~ Peachleaf ~ Isiliyan ~ Aelflaed Goldhawk ~ Dagnead

Thain of The Mark
Do me a favour and get your friend out of here. Quick! The door behind the medic's corner is open and will bring you out near the old Æthelmund pub. I'll explain later. Meet me in that pub after nightfall. Come armed and armoured, but stay hidden. I need someone I can trust. I need you to be eyes and ears, so be ready for when it all kicks off.

Your Eastmark friend

Horse Trainer of The Mark
@Shivased
Briarwood
EastEmnet (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong)

Westu hal,
Just writing to say that I miss you. And that as usual Gondor is driving me crazy. You wouldn't happen to fancy making a trip out here to save my sanity? What little of it I have left? This city is too *here the message is torn from the writer pressing too hard* Oh no! I didn't mean to do that! Now I have to go to the Marketplace to get more paper. Maybe I'll send whatshisbucket to do it. There is no way I'm leaving this house to go to the Market. I swear that place is even brighter than the rest of Mundberg. Speaking of which, how's Sceo. Is he still serving our lovely invention? Or he still being a raging pile of manure and refusing to open our favorite pub?
How are Daran and Jacen? Cook, Haru, everyone? Curon. Storm?
Also, the first thing I did here was find out that Cuthbert's father is dead, and his mother is in the Houses of Healing. Evidence definitely points to you know what. I'm frustrated Shiva. I haven't found anything to track down any of his cohorts yet, except that Gareth appears to be in Umbar right now. Our little friend can't get much out of anyone here either, since everyone can only be found when they want to be found.
Zara's also trying to convince me that I need to rethink my position on Gondorians who speak Rohirric, because she's getting tired of being interpreter. Sound like anyone else I know? Oh, and in case Audley freaked out to you, Shiven and Daegan ran here to tell me about a letter Audley received. And yes, I have sufficiently scolded them, and am resisting the urge to have them put in the stockades when we return home. Apparently Gondor is being better to them than it is to me. I may have to drag them home kicking and screaming at this rate they are having so much fun. Though Shiven does agree with me still that it's too bright. Oh, he says thank you by the way for the book you gave him. You gave him a book? Why am I just learning of this?
Love always,
Rowena

In War We Know Willpower, In Peace We Know Love~

Thain of The Mark
To Starbreeze (@Fairy Nuff)
Orthanc Tower

Dear Starbreeze,

There have been some unexpected changes in my Cavalry duties and I may need to leave Edoras for an extended period of time. I'll be contacting a distant cousin of mine soon who used to help me run Awesnis, but would it be possible for you to come to Edoras as quickly as possible?

Your trip to Imladris shouldn't interfere, but I do want to get you set up at my house before I'm unavailable. I actually competed in an archery tournament in Imladris a few years ago! Managed to take second place, even. It was quite the experience!

Looking forward to seeing you soon,

Taethowen

(OOC - no *actual* rush until the next Riddermarket thread goes up, but I wanted to respond before I forgot. I've got a pretty big arc playing out in the Life in the Mark thread at the moment, but if you *want* to RP out coming to Taeth's house and getting the tour, etc, that can be arranged. Just let me know!)

Esquire of The Mark
To @Taethowen Anhyrne, Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica
From Starbreeze, Orthanc Tower

Dear Taethowen

Oh I do hope the change in your duties is a positive one, and not down to rising unrest or threats from outside the Mark's borders, and I completely understand that those duties will take you away from the shop, so I look forward to meeting your distant cousin whenever that may be. We can take care of everything while you are gone, never fear.

I can be with you in Edoras tomorrow if that is convenient, and get all settled in before I leave for Imladris. I must say, I am impressed by your skills with a bow if you beat elves to come second in an archery contest - remind me never to cross you! Which house is yours - I will pack now and as soon as I know which door to look for I will be with you.

With gratitude
Starbreeze

(OOC: will work around you of course, you sound pretty busy whereas my posting commitments are light at the moment, just point me where you want me :) )
Starbreeze ~ Lily Knotwise ~ Itarildë Tinehtelë ~ Peachleaf ~ Isiliyan ~ Aelflaed Goldhawk ~ Dagnead

Knight of The Mark
@Rowena Ellenweorc
Mundburg
Gondor

Westu hal, freond min.

I am glad to hear from you and know you have reached Gondor safely. I am not surprised that being there is driving you crazy. I feel the same when forced to travel to Minas Tirith. It is a beautiful city and I love my grandparents, but Gondor is just not for me. Give me the open plains and simple life of Rohan any day!

Everything is going very quietly here. Life at Braiarwood goes on as it usually does. I am beginning to train the newest crop of horses I plan to send to the Cavalry, and they are very promising. I have Jacen helping me in the groundwork, though he is angry he won't be allowed to get on any yet and thinks I am babying him. I told him when he can walk from the barn to the house without tripping over his own feet, then he can start thinking about breaking horses. He needs to grow into his feet and body first.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't found much out about Cuthbert. I'm sure the information is out there and you will find it. It's interesting to find that Gareth is in Umbar. That is an odd choice of place to go, given the relationship between Rohan, Gondor and Umbar is not exactly a friendly one. I would think it would be dangerous for him there. Keep trying and don't get to discouraged. Cuthbert was smart and hid is deeds well. It will take time to uncover it all.

The book...well. The book is nothing. Shiven was curious about Gondor and what it involves outside Mundburg, so I asked my Grandmother to send him a book of Gondorian manners and etiquette. It is very different than in Rohan, and they can be very strict about proper behaviour. So I thought since he had taken to Gondor so well and seemed to enjoy being there, I would give him a hand in learning his way with some of the finer points of life. I'm glad he is enjoying it. If he wants, my grandmother said he is welcome to visit her and she can teach him in person. Daegan is welcome as well. I'm sure they would be much more receptive pupils than I was.

Your friend

Shivased.

Master Torturer
@Thalionwen Hunigfolm

Thain of The Mark
The Cavalry Marshals
The Dragon Room
Edoras

I trust this letter find you well, and congratulations on the recent promotions Taeth and Gwai.

I write to inform you that the Campian Tournament has its champion. An honourable warrior won the tournament, as it should be; Arnyn of Gondor, a renowned warrior of the Gondorian Rangers took the title of Champion. Furthermore, in news that I hope will hearten many a cavalry rider, one of our own, the retired Marshal Elvheimdros, was the runner up.

I understand that the Second Marshal Taethowen took part herself but was absent for the conclusion; I hope your injuries and that of your friend are recovering well. Eldrith, one of our newest recruits, also took part; my recommendation as HCMA would be to not allow her within ten feet of a sword if it isn't to polish it, and that she had better stick to cooking.

I can talk further on that last recommendation in person, however I am afraid that it cannot be immediately. I must regretfully inform you that I must take some time to deal with an urgent personal matter and therefore may be delayed in reporting to the Dragon Room as you have requested. I will report to you in due course as soon as the necessaries have been dealt with.

In the interim, I return my HCMA insignia to you, not wishing to presume that you will re-affirm that rank until such a time as I can stand before you myself and debrief you on a number of recent incidents.

Until then, my warmest wishes and kindest regards to you all,

Allacan Beorhtlig
Dryhtguma of the Eastmark and Campwisa of Campian

OOC @Shivased @Taethowen @Gwai (Timey wimey nonsense, this letter arrived after all the Festival events have concluded but likely before the new Dragon Room. Bema only knows where it fits into with regards the cavalry RPG, but then with so many threads running concurrently the continuity was bound to break somewhere. Needless to say, Allacan will not be making an appearance in the new Dragon Room until after the conclusion of the scene in F&F and After-Party, but in the meantime I will ensure I post there as Grimthain to show I am still engaged.)

Esquire of The Mark
@Bereth
Aern Freablod

My dear friend,

if such you would STILL permit me to call you. I knew I should not have entered Campian. It was an impulse and a foolish one. I thought if I would find courage for one thing, I would not fail to find it for another. I found courage indeed, and unfortunately I found too many other things along the path.
Please.. let me know if you would still allow me under your roof. If not, I will come and swiftly pick up what is there still. I am trying to figure out what the next step is, and I hardly know myself. It was suggested I reopen the Aeldsell Inn, but I am not sure if that is wise now.
I took on a duty to the cavalry but depending on what the Campwisa shares, that might not remain so. I will see.

I am desperately sorry for disappointing you.
With love and regrets,

Eldrith

@Amadhrill

My friend,

I am sorry that I could not.. wait and thank you for your cheering during the Campian. Entering was.. a foolish whim, and one I deeply regret. I will regret it even more if it has caused me to loose your friendship, but I would understand.
I know we had talked about reopening the Aeldsel. If am not sure if you would even still be willing, or if the taint has grown too strong to even consider it. If we go ahead.. it might be wiser.. if I remain in the back for a bit, with you and Cnith and Getale doing the front of the house. I will admit I do not.. know where my head is at the moment. I should know after all these years that one can not out run the past. And yet.. perhaps my near decade in Rohan, without event or blemish might stand to undo at least one layer of the tarnish of habits from long, long ago. You know.. I have refused to pick up a blade for a long time. Perhaps now such cowardice is easier to understand.

I long to hear word from you, freond min, but I will understand your choices either way.

With love and regrets,
Eldrith

Doorwarden of The Mark
To: Eldrith
(Ber hoped the missive would find her, wherever she was)

Dear dear Friend Eldrith,

You cannot seriously believe there would be anything you could do to raise my ire enough to refuse your company? I admit to deep and perplexed curiosity at what happened at the Campion, as well as what led up to it, and should love to have you rest at the Aern - time to allow your bruises to heal. Those apparent as well as what must be lurking beneath.

And I would covet a chance to listen to whatever weighs on your heart. Without judgement. Without fear.

*Ber fought to find the words of assurance to entice Eldrith to unburden her heart. To heal whatever required it*.

Come. Soon. I mean that sincerely.

With gentleness and peace,

Bereth

Esquire of The Mark
@Allafyrefleorhtlig

*the note was written in haste. And it was short and to the point. Some things, one did not put in a letter. Too dangerous. She'd preferred to shut what had happened at the Campian fully out of her mind but one sentence had destroyed that possibility.*

I believe we should talk. Soon. When and where?

Esquire of The Mark
@Eldrith

My friend,

I wrote you an answer in haste and confusion, but I thought it better to burn it. My friend, dear Eldrith, how are you healing? You know you can always send for me or come, and I will look at your bruises and see that all is well with you!

I too am sorry you could not wait for Lady Bereth, the kids, Frith, and me, but it looked as if the campwisa ordered you otherwise. And I am sure you had your reasons, if not.

I do not think there is any reason for you to hide. Your performance was... surprising. But you fought well and surprised me at getting so far. I am glad I did not offer my advice, you did not need them.

I have many questions, if you one day feel that you can answer some of them.

For now, I still think we should open the Ældsel, it might give people something else to speak of. After that performance on the campian, I do not think we will need a bouncer for the door...

I do not think refusing a blade is cowerdice, I do not know where you have learned to fight like that and what you have done that now have you refusing the blade. But I have seen war and battles too... if you need to, I am here so you can talk to me if you need to.

Your friend always,

Amadhrill.
Hælend of Meduseld

Esquire of The Mark
@Bereth

*She'd had trouble reading the missives through her tears. She knew she had friends. But both of them were women of honor and duty. And yet both of them refused to cast her out of their circle of friends up. Despite everything, loyalty ran deep here.*

Lady Bereth Freablod,
I should have trusted more in your love, freond min. After all you took me in, long ago without question when certain you would have had a right to demand nswerd considering how I turned up on your doorstep. Perhaps you are right. I can not run again. I will meet you at the inn.

Eldrith

@Amadhrill

It is hard to admit how much your words move me. There are things in my past I do not speak of. But know that at least you are right in this: I have good reason to shun the blade and it's path. The aberration in the Campian will have told you at least that much.
If you are certain of your willingness to still work with me, I think perhaps..we should indeed try. I wonder if the old building still stands...

Eldrith

Elven Enchanter
The note is written in the scrawled, slightly inexperienced hand of a young man.

@Allafyrefleorhtlig

Fædera,

I think we need to talk - about the "incident". There's a Cavalry exercise starting soon, but when it's finished? Glad you are here in Edoras.

Éomund
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Esquire of The Mark
The first letter was written on the cheapest scrap of parchment, some children's drawing on the back of the letter, simply folded as not to open before the reader recieved it.

@Eldrith

My dear friend,

I am certain of both. When you want to, know that you can always come at my door, have a cup of tea and talk!

As for the Ældsel, I have not been in that part of Edoras for years, can you believe that? I have lived the last ten years, but much of my life is just in the Auld Town and on the fields we have outside of the town. But never mind, we should seek the building out, I hope it is still standing as it will be an easier start than a new building. And in the past our patrons have been ever helpful in so many ways, so they might be willing to share in on some of the work, for an ale and some stew... We shall see the state of it.

Ama

------------------------------------
The second letter was written on better parchement with the Meduseld hælend's seal keeping it closed on the way to the Eastmark.

Dear Hælend @Thalionwen Hunigfolm of the Eastmark eored,

First off, I am very pleased to see you too have returned to your rank of old. It will be a pleasure and honor to serve with you!

Also, I did the medical clearing of one of your Eastmark dryhtgumas before you returned, the full report can be read in the Meduseld infirmary, if you wish, I will copy it down and send it to you. In short, dryhtguma Allacan Beohrtlig has over-pronated feet, flat-feet, and should by now have new shoes fitted for her need. However, you know how the non-hælends can be, so I advice you to make sure she has the new boots to prevent any more aches from this.

Best regards,

Amadhrill, hælend of Meduself eored
Hælend of Meduseld

Thain of The Mark
Dear @Amadhrill

Thank you so much for looking after my dryhtguma! I too look forward to serving together, and will make sure the soldier in question is taken to the farrier cobbler, and fitted for the specialized footwear she needs. In fact, it may just be simpler to have the boots made myself and tell her they're a required uniform item from now on. I don't suppose you measured Allacan's feet, during the course of your medical exam? If not, I'll simply have to find a way to get it done myself.

Yours in the Bonds of Herbal Comradeship,
Thalionwen, Eastmark Haelend

Dear Allacan @Allafyrefleorhtlig

This may sound forward as we've only met on an occasion or two, though I will say your face looks VERY FAMILIAR--more familiar than it ought to, given our degree of official acquaintance.

Wait, where was I? Oh yes! This may sound forward, but I took notice of your boots in the Dragon Room the other day. I'm afraid they're woefully out of fashion in either of the kingdoms you might be interested in, if you know what I mean. I would advise that you commission a pair of medically appropriate more fashionable boots from the cobbler whose name I have enclosed. I can consult as to style--there are some new uniform regulations coming down the pike that will have to be taken into account.

Let's bring you into this season, shall we?

Yours in Sartorial Concern,
Thalionwen, Eastmark Haelend
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Thain of The Mark
(@Dimcairien Luiniel)

Deor Nefa,

I am glad you are not ashamed to have me lurking so close to you during your first days in the cavalry; I had only wished to be on hand to support you and could not resist stepping in to try and help when I saw Marshal Gwai with you in the Dragon Room. I assure you I will not interfere in future.

I am of course more than happy to meet and discuss anything you wish. In fact, it would be my honour and pleasure.

Do you want to find me in the Meduseld barracks (Cavalry Courtyard) when you are are granted a rest day, or would you prefer we meet away from cavalry grounds? I have not yet had a chance to visit the fabled Riddermarket of Edoras and I want to check out the Swéte Hunig as soon as I get the chance, if you would prefer to meet me there?

Grimthain

@Thalionwen Hunigfolm

My word, the cavalry’s healands must have developed skills in telepathy, for my good comrade @Amadhrill only recently provided me with a similar recommendation; the co-incidence is uncanny!

I dread to think of the disrepute I may be bringing onto the cavalry by allowing myself to be witnessed with such terribly out-of-style footwear, and assure you I will head to the Riddermarket promptly first thing tomorrow to acquire those boots recommended by you.

I may even drop by CweÞ Ciese on my way to the cobbler so you can be confident of my co-operation, and will ensure I do not show my feet in the Dragon Room again until they are clothed in more appropriate garb.

And thank you again for saving me from fashion-exile; I owe you!

Allacan
Dryhtguma of the Eastmark

(An unaddressed, unadorned envelope is left outside the door of @Eldrith’s room early one morning. It contains no words, only a single slip of paper on which is drawn a simple picture)

Elven Enchanter
@Allafyrefleorhtlig

Fædera,

I don't think I'd want to talk about stuff on Cavalry grounds.

Riddermarket would be great. Never seen such a big market area before! If I'm still in one piece after my first training exercise, let's find food there.

Éomund
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Thain of The Mark
To Seleðryðe (@Almarëa Mordollwen)
From Taethowen Anhyrne at Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica

Dear Seleðryðe,

I am writing for two purposes now, as I have not yet received a response to the previous letter I sent you, Hopefully my letter to you was simply misplaced by the post, or perhaps your response is already on the way to me!

First, I wanted to inquire if you're still interested in the position of shop assistant. My situation has changed here in Edoras. I have been--rather unexpectedly--promoted to the rank of Second Marshal, and will be charged with the care of the Hornburg. While official Cavalry matters will have me in Edoras on a regular basis, I won't have quite as much time to devote to the shop as I anticipated, and could desperately use your help there.

I will be calling in aid from a distant cousin who is also an accomplished seamstress, and will be more than capable of overseeing your work, and likely promoting you to a full apprenticeship as well once you've proven your skill.

Second, the cloth dyer has recently returned with your linen dyed a beautiful green. The cost was more than reasonable (a little more than one silver), but if you don't have that now I can take it from your wages a little bit at a time.

Third, if you're still interested in boarding at my home in Edoras, please let me know as soon as possible! Since I will be away a great deal of time, I'd like to let the room out for someone else if you won't be staying there.

Feel free to come by my shop as your soonest availability, and I'll show you the way to my house from there. Or, assuming you're still staying at the inn, I will happily meet you there to finalize our arrangements as well.

Taethowen Anhyrne

To Starbreeze (@Fairy Nuff), Orthanc Tower
From Taethowen Anhyrne at Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica

Dear Starbreeze,

I am sorry this missive has been so delayed! Anytime you can arrive would be wonderful. And, well... the news will be public by the time this reaches you, so I can tell you that I've been (rather suddenly) promoted to be the Second Marshal of the Cavalry. However, my new posting will be at Helm's Deep, and so I'm scrambling to get my Edoras affairs in order before I must hurry back to the Eastfold to get my family estate taken care of while I will be otherwise engaged.

If your arrival in Edoras coincides with regular market hours, please feel free to come straight to my shop, and I'll walk you to my Edoras home from there. It's conveniently close. Otherwise, just turn to your right as you face the North Gate at Edoras (as if you're entering the city) and look for one of the westernmost houses. It's two stories, and I'll knot a blue scarf around the doorknob. There are some rather terrifying looking chickens out back, but don't let their toothed beaks, black feathers, and red eyes frighten you. They lay a most excellent egg!

Looking forward to your arrival!
Taethowen

(OOC @Fairy Nuff, @Almarëa Mordollwen - I'll get a post up in the Life in the Mark thread in the next day or so to start off the moving-into-Taeth's house bit. Feel free to show up at the Riddermarket whenever! Timeline-wise there, at the moment, Taeth is aware of her Marshal promotion, but the actual promotion ceremony has not happened yet, but will later that 'same day'.)

Chieftain of The Mark

@Eléowyn
Auld Town
Edoras
The Riddermark

Dear freond,

I was amused to learn of your husband's trickery ~ how goes it with the bairns of Edoras?

I send these parchments on to you. Mayhap they will bring more ankle-biters to your door?

I hope to see you in the not to distant future,

Ælf'

Last edited by Aodh Hammerhelm on Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thain of The Mark
(@Dimcairien Luiniel)

Deor Nefa,

The Riddermarket it is then. And you can help me figure out how to spend some of my savings now there’s actually somewhere interesting to spend it.

Just let me know as soon as you are due to have a day off duty so I can make a request of my superiors to have the same day off.

I look forward to catching up with you and until then, stay out of mischief.

Grimthain

Thain of The Mark
To Eldreda (NPC)
From Taethowen Anhyrne

Dear Eldra,

It has been quite some time since I last wrote, hasn't it, cousin? A year or two or... forgive me, has it possibly even been five years? I am so sorry.

I know I wrote to you a few times during my recovery in Gondor, and during some of my travels. I hope you received some of the fabrics I sent you--especially that lovely bit of Haradrim silk.

Truly, though, I'm writing to you now for several reasons. The first being that I have, at long last, returned to the Mark. I have re-opened my seamstress shop in the Riddermarket in Edoras, but... things have happened.

You see, I've barely been back a month, and back in the Cavalry for well... not long at all, and I've already been promoted to Second Marshal. I have no idea what's been going on in the Cavalry while I was gone but... apparently there's been something. But... I've been stationed as the Westmark Marshal, which means I'll need to be at the Hornburg frequently, and I need help with the shop. Would you be able to come and help me run it again?

I've recently hired an apprentice and a shop assistant, but I know that you're familiar with my techniques and methods, and so if I can't be there to train them, you're the next best thing. Please say that you'll come! You'll be able to stay at my home in Edoras.

And... you wouldn't happen to know anything about Moðor, and Cary and Cadman, would you? I stopped at Ærn Anhyrne shortly after my return, and there was absolutely no one there. Not even horses in the stables, or a single farmhand. I have since hired on a steward to maintain the land, but I couldn't find any hints of where Moðor might have gone with her husband or my siblings.

And well... there's so much other news to tell you as well, but some of it might best wait until we can talk in person. Please write back quickly and let me know if you'll be able to come.

Taethowen
Last edited by Taethowen on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esquire of The Mark
Dear @Thalionwen Hunigfolm

No measurement I'm afraid, but she sounded quite ready to go shopping for new shoes. But you know, she used to be a marshal, and they are notoriously not listening to hælends. Though I also have her word of honor, so it might help to bring her along...

Send me word if you need any assistance in the matter, as an Eastmarker in heart I am always looking for an excuse to travel to the Aldburg.

Ever at your service,

Amadhrill
Hælend of Meduseld

Knight of The Mark
Dear Ælf',

I am pleased my husband's little joke has amused you. He may not feel the same when he spends a night or two in a barn stall with the horses.

But in honesty, the wee ones are, for the most part, precious. There is one very unusual lad whom I feel certain is being treated poorly, at the very least. Perhaps worse.

I have no time to write further, as the bairns are just starting to rouse from rest time.

Thank you for the banner; I have hung it outside the nursery door.

In friendship,
Eléowyn

@Aodh Hammerhelm

Chieftain of The Mark
@Eléowyn
Auld Town
Edoras
The Riddermark

Dear freond,

I am pleased to hear the banner hangs proudly above the door of the nursery!

Ringbold and I hope to travel to Edoras in a fortnight.

Best wishes till we meet anon,

Ælf'

Guard of The Mark
To The Proprietor of the Edoras Grist Mill:

Listen, manure-face. I don't know how many times I have told you this, but get it into your thick skull: when I drop off a cartload of wheat, I expect back a cartload of flour. Why, then, do you think it acceptable to load my cart with three sacks of bran, one sack of flour with mice in it, and eighteen sacks of birdseed? Get it together, man.

Sincerely,
Athelstan Sulhhandla

(written in a hasty scrawl and shoved into the same envelope)

Sir,

Please pardon my husband's testiness, but as this is the third time you have given him birdseed instead of flour, you can hardly blame him, can you? We do supply most of our village with flour as well as our own family, and birdseed just doesn't make good bread - though the children enjoy feeding it to the chickens.

If you could see your way to rectifying your mistake, we would appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Amhran Sulhhandla

P.S. To satisfy my own curiosity - where did all our wheat go? Is there a gentleman out there with a pigeon loft who is fuming over a cartload of flour?

Thain of The Mark
OOC @Amhran :rofl:(Remembers the old teachings and eyes @merSILess’s sequinned butt-flap and Allacan’s decorated butt-cheek with suspicion.)

Dúnadan
Grandfather Geldimir
Care of : Mr & Mrs Gardinir
Four Fields
The Pelennor
Minas Tirith

Dear Grandfather,

How are you? Well I hope. I am in Rohan waiting to ride messages from Edoras to the Lord Aragorn. I may be here some time. There are less errands now the great war is done.

I'v e kept myself busy with getting to know the people of Rohan and their strange customs. I raced in a barrel down the Entwash River during their summer festival, and came second.

I have met a lad who runs the local jewelers store. I might need to ask you some advise on a few things to do with making silver and gold items.

First of all how do you make letters out of metal?

You can send a letter to me to the Edoras post sorting room.

Much love
Cal'

Guard of The Mark
(@Allafyrefleorhtlig Oh, that is a TREASURE. :lol: )

Note on a shipment of a further two bags of birdseed and one of sixteen-month-old rye

Dear Mr. Sulhhandla,
We apologize for our mistake, and hope this shipment fulfils your quota. We value our farmers and look forward to serving you again!
Sincerely,
Edoras Grist Mill

--four days later--

From The Boar at Edoras
To Amhran Sulhhandla
Sulhhandla Farm
West Emnet

My dear Amh,
I have arrived safely in Edoras and am staying at the Boar inn, not far from the mill, and I hope to find the miller tomorrow and get him to divulge the location of our wheat. "Fulfils your quota" my hat! The most charitable assumption I can make is that he ate some of that rye (by the way, love, don't eat the rye; it has ergot) and has slipped off his proverbial mushroom. I will also try to find out, for you, since you asked, "why birdseed?" Why indeed?
I will write again day after tomorrow, or whenever I have news, whichever comes first.
Yours ever,
Athelstan

--by return post, the next day--

From the Sulhhandla Farm, West Emnet
To Athelstan Sulhhandla
The Boar
Edoras

Dear Athelstan,
Glad to hear you have arrived, and I hope you find out something soon, because not to put too fine a point on it, and at the risk of indulging in dramatics, the board is getting a little bare around here. I've had numerous complaints from town about the total lack of flour and I think some of them are getting hungry. We're doing okay with oats, but a little bread wouldn't go amiss. I'm going to have to grow the yeast all over again, as it's starved to death and I had to feed it to the chickens.
Speaking of chicken feed, we didn't eat the rye but the rooster did scratch the bag open and now he and several of the hens are collapsed sort of bonelessly draped over the barnyard. I presume they will recover as they didn't eat much. In the meantime, I had Artos take the rest a mile or so out of town and bury it, before the horses or pigs could get at it.
Thank you again for taking care of this. Just please don't do anything we might regret later. You know how you get when faced with people who can't see logic, but just remember calling them "clotpole" never solved anything.
All my love,
Amhran

P.S. A cattleman from my cousin's village was in town today; he brought word that the new upper grinding stone for my uncle's mill is on its way, and hopefully will be there by the end of the month. Hurrah! So if you can get the wheat back, just bring it home and we can hang in there until Uncle's mill is running again and we can avoid any more birdseed from Edoras.

Thain of The Mark
(@Winddancer)

Dear Westu Hail

To Sigrid,

I hope this letter finds you well? At least, well enough, in the circumstances.

I also hope it is not too forward of me contacting you in this manner. If you do not wish me to write to you again you need only ignore this correspondence and I will interpret the lack of response as your wish to not be bothered again, and respect you enough to stay well clear in future. An old man like me would never wish to impose on a young woman like you, especially at a time when you are re-discovering the liberty of your life.

I only wanted to let you know that I visited the Orphanage you recommended; they were exceedingly grateful for the donation, and moreso, the staff there allowed me the opportunity to share bed-time tales with some of the youngsters. It was, I have to say, a deeply emotional and inspirational experience for me; I was moved quite intimately by my encounters there. From one person haunted by their past to another, I wanted to thank you for pushing me towards going there; those young people helped me to remember again the importance of hope and growth, just as you did the other night at the Horse and Rider Inn. I feel like a better man for the enrichment.

I cannot imagine how it must have been for you, growing up with the weight of your past looming behind you, but I can sympathise I think with how difficult it is to grow up without a family of your own, or parents to look out for you, protect you and nurture you. Perhaps even lacking in someone to cherish you. In my early years, before the War when this nation was a very different place, there were far fewer orphanages. I myself was an orphan, abandoned as a babe on the steps of a cavalry outpost, and for much of my younger life I had no home to call my own, but moved instead from place to place, relying on the charity and good will of others. That is, until harsh times called upon men and young boys in service of the Riddermark, and I picked up arms to defend Helm's Deep at an age that many would baulk at now. As soon as I was old enough to join the cavalry I did, wishing to return in some small part the debt I felt to those cavalry soldiers and warriors who took me in and raised me as best they could. In many ways, joining the cavalry was the start of my new life then, and learning to stand on my own two feet, but such independence comes in many forms I well know.

I share my tale with you not in any attempt to seek pity or attention. I only share it because I, of all people, understand the importance of the people we grow close to in our lives, those who help us in our times of need, of our 'found families'. And I recall well how daunting it can be when you are on the first steps of starting a new life for yourself. Truth told, I'm feeling a little bit of that fear myself, seeing my found-nephew and soul-son - one of the few members of my 'found family' - enrolling in the cavalry and taking his first steps toward becoming an independent man. He doesn't need me now like he once used to, and the cavalry grows from strength to strength under the guidance of devoted and passionate Marshals, and will soon be no place for an aging man such as myself. Deciding quite how to invest what time and energy I have remaining to me is, frankly, a little overwhelming, and I hope I am not officious or mistaken in believing that there is some parallel there to your own situation (although I suspect you will rise to the occasion with far more grace and courage than this weary old cavalry dog).

I am sure that you have little time for the ramblings of an old man, so I will not impose any further on your time. Except to say that should you ever find yourself in need of a friend, or short of coin, or simply seeking someone to talk to about, well, anything; I am here for you. I would like to be here for you, if you would allow it. There is no pressure at all, it is entirely up to you whether you choose to accept my company and/or my help. And this is not a limited time offer; you may treat it as an open invitation to come visit me at the Meduseld barracks, or my new home, wherever that might be (I confess I am still searching for suitable abode; the idea of living alone away from the busy life of the barracks after my whole adult life has been spent living within cavalry lodgings is another one of those hurdles I must overcome, but I have coin to spare and am keen to prove that the old adage is not correct; you can teach an old dog new tricks).

Either way, my thoughts will be with you, and I look forward to hearing the sagas that I am sure will be sung in your honour, whatever path you choose to pursue.

Ride safe, Sigrid, and know that you are not alone.

Grimthain

Guard of The Mark
To Amhran Sulhhandla
Sulhhandla Farm
West Emnet
From the Boar
Edoras

Dear Amh,
If someone is a clotpole, I will call them a clotpole. But that's neither here nor there.
You were right, love, there was a pigeon fancier. Name of Ceolred; he breeds homing pigeons for the Cavalry. And he was in town for the same reason we were, except the other way around. What I mean is, he ordered birdseed and got a cartload of wheat, unmilled. Which technically he could feed his pigeons but isn't the balanced diet he was looking for. Anyway, he agreed to have the wheat sent back to us if we'd send his birdseed back by return cart.
He and I went this morning to see the miller and ask what gives. I still can't rule out the influence of ergot, but when we got there we found that he was home sick with some kind of St. Vitus's malady and his brother had been running the mill off and on for the entire quarter. Amh, honey, he's a city blacksmith and doesn't know barley from St. John's Wort. Which explains everything. So Ceolred and I gave him a quick lesson in how to tell one crop from another, and also a recommendation that he burn all the rye on the premises and also lock up his brother's mead stash, since neither of us is entirely sure what is causing the "symptoms".
So that's that. I will hopefully be home two days after you receive this. Can't wait to see you and the children.
Yours ever,
Athelstan

To Athelstan
The Boar, Edoras
From Amhran Sulhhandla
Sulhhandla Farm, West Emnet

Dear Athelstan,
It's quite possible this letter will miss you, but just in case -
Ceolred's wagon arrived yesterday and I immediately transferred the wheat to our own cart and sent it with Artos and Hrothgar (Artos is handy with a spear and good at looking out for his siblings, so they should be fine). Uncle should have it milled and sent back to us within the week. The birdseed is on its way to Edoras for Ceolred - along with a few jars of honey for his trouble; please give him my regards.
Looking forward to seeing you when you get home.
Love,
Amhran

Ent Ancient
Dear Esteemed Marshals of the Mark,
( @Shivased @Taethowen @Gwai )

I would first like to pass my best wishes to the two newly promoted Marshals, Taethowen and Gwai, as well as my appreciation to you, Shivased, for your continued commitment to leadership.

You may or may not know, I was a member of the Westmark eored a number of years ago, but now I am only a mere beekeeper. While I no longer find myself drawn the touch of the blade or the pull of the bow, I wish to support you and the Cavalry in whatever small way I can.

I wondered if I could contribute some of my honey for the haelends to use on injured wigends. I know it is not much, but knowing my efforts were doing good would mean very much to me. I am supplying the Infirmary as well, if you require a reference or review of any kind. I appreciate you taking time to review my request.

Yours in service and solidarity,
Lailyn

P.S. I heard there was some trouble recently with Bilewitdox? I am trying my hand at brewing mead and I would be happy to attempt Bilewitdox so that new recruits could be properly initiated to your ranks. I would hate for them to miss such a memorable experience. However, if this is merely rumour or if I've overstepped in some way, please forgive me.