Minas Tirith's Mail ~ The Roquen Express Revived

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Master Torturer

MINAS TIRITH'S MIDDLE-EARTH POST OFFICE

New Soul
Anardil
Castle Azrubel
Lond Col, Belfalas

Hey, buddy, uh... Warmest greetings, friend! Perhaps you remember me from my visit to Golden Beach a fortnite ago? Of course, how could you forget the man of many tales? It was my pleasure to preserve the health of your Lady, Ilisys, recently on the battlefield and I am happy to be welcomed as a guest of honor at Castle Azrubel. I hope you may recall Her Highness, the Lady Eressild, and I discussing the family shipyard at supper? That I would supply your shipwrights with my lebethron timber? Would you inquire for me if she is still keen about the deal? If she is and you have the time in what I assume is a busy schedule, could you travel to Minas Tirith to meet me at my business chamber in the Woodwrights' House of the Second Circle? There we could plan a mutually beneficial arrangement over Langstrand whiskey... The Azrubels of Lond Col should sail in style, my friend, remind the dear Lady Eressild for me.

Beren Camlost
Vorngaearon Farm
Imloth Melui, Lossasrnach
Last edited by Eriol on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Beren Camlost
Vorngaearon Farm
Imloth Melui, Lossarnach
@Aigronding Mordagnir

Greetings Mr Camlost. Forgive me, Beren,

We were all very pleased to meet you at Lond Côl recently. Any friend of the Lady Ilisys is naturally always welcome and I must admit, my cousin also has seen fit to rave about you on occasion. So admittedly, I was curious to meet such a celebrity in person. Your exciting tales though surpassed even the highest expectation ! I do hope dinner was not too dull an affair for you. It was exceedingly not for the rest of us !

The Lady Eressild has indicated that she is indeed keen to broach an arrangement with your company. Lebethron as you must know is quite a rarity this far from Ithilien, and a commodity that we have not explored since before my grandfather's day. That said, the lady does like to set trends. There is much for us thus to discuss which we were far too captivated with your stories to focus upon overlong at dinner. My wife has expressed a keenness of late to visit Minas Tirith, so your invitation is both timely and convenient. I shall certainly look into the necessary arrangements, but you may expect a call to be paid at your convenience within the month.

With the greatest respect,

Anardil Thavron

First Circle, Minas Tirith
@Pele Alarion

Cadil !

I am risking much by sending this 'care of' the publican. But I do recall you saying that you liked an odd drink in the Guesthouse, and to be utterly honest, I was not sure where else you laid down your head these days. Hopefully Halacar can be trusted not to read this, or to not share this if he later just denies that he read this .. Halacar ! Stop reading this ! Go tend your odd drinks !

We need to get out of here ! I have just received word from my father that my cousin, the exceedingly dull and serious one from Dol Amroth is coming for a visit. You remember the one, or perhaps you have tried to forget ? I can not bear to sit through an awkward reunion and surely subjected to questions of how the military has 'made a man of me'. I can not either cease to thinking of the games and dice and fun which you spoke of previously ! Say, why not a riotous night out in Pelargir where no one knows us ?!

Come find me at the old meeting place if you observe a chance. I have some leave, and this room at the barracks is impossibly too small to do anything of excitement in. I'll look for you at dawn, for at least the dawns that I have left on leave. You know where. No, I am not going to tell you where, Halacar. STOP READING THIS YOU NOSY ….. and by that, I mean, of course, thank you most kindly good sir, for seeing that this gets to my friend ..

Nal

Ercassie Edit - Pretty stamps shamelessly stolen from the Mordorian Post Office, as they fit this source location(s) of this correspondence
Last edited by Ercassie on Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

High Warden of Tower
Unalmis
Ranger Barracks

@Ercassie

Heya, Nal!

I'm still staying with my parents in the Third Circle, well... yes, mostly.

Say what? Your cousin is coming? He is surely not thaaaaat bad, but hey... I'm always up for some entertainment! What else is left for me, since I'm not longer with the military and have all the time I want on my hands. Pelargir is a ways off, but sure! I might just come and meet you, and then we can decide what's what, right?

Cadil

Child of Gondor
Alarion
Ranger Barracks
White City

Do they know all your secrets? The thing that keeps you up at night?

I do. I am.

R.

@Pele Alarion
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Master Torturer
To the Esteemed Pipemaker Amlaith of the Second Circle

Thank you kindly for inquiring about our establishment, it brings us great pride that the word has spread as far as Minas Tirith.
As stated before we would love to welcome your wife to stay with us for as long as is needed, as I am sure the fresh sea air will do her well.
I understand that our prices might be out of your comfortable range, however I would only be able to give a small discount if your wife were to stay with us for more than a year.
Should that be the case, then the price would be 5 gold a month, down from the 10 quoted earlier. I know you might find this price quite steep still, however I can assure you that the money would be well spent as we have the very best healers on hand the whole day and your wife would have unlimited access to all the treatments we provide here, as well as room and board.
Should this be of interest, please feel free to write us, or by all means bring her here as we have available rooms at the moment.

Yours Sincerely,

Murak Calaban
Seabreeze Sanatorium

Ilisys Azrubêl
C/O Ranger Barracks

Greetings to our formidable lady Isys,

I find that my duties for sake of Lond Côl shall soon lead me to bide time in the White City. Naturally your most honourable mother heeds me to seek out an audience with yourself, and ascertain your health, your happiness, within Minas Tirith. I do hope there might prove some time agreeable amidst your obligations to sate these enquiries ? As ever, of course, at your own convenience,

Warder

__________________________________________________________________________________
To our Warder Thavron
Castle Azrubêl
Lond Côl, Belfalas

To my only Warder,

You ought know by now that a lady gives naught away so freely, and especially her time. You may inform my mother that my injuries are healing quite nicely, if my recent return to the training grounds are to be believed. You have leave to find me there for a bout when you find also the nerve, and should you then see me from my seat I shall accommodate your want for conversation. If you are still at that time able to make with pretty words,

Isys
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Child of Gondor
Beren Camlost
Vorngaearon Farm
Imloth Melui, Lossarnach
@Tharmáras

Beren,
I find this hard to write yet needed. I used to dream of our reunion but it seems they were only that. Dreams.
Our lives have moved on and we are not the same people we were, we are no longer children. I can't force myself to feel something which doesn't form on it's own naturally and I will not lie to you either.

Nelladel
Last edited by Isolde Alarion on Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Child of Gondor
C/O The Old Guesthouse

Dearest Avarion,
I trust this letter finds you well, if of course it finds you at all. News of your travels stopped reaching us many moons ago and whilst we have sought word of your well-being little has transpired. Fathers health deteriorated rapidly. One night he ventured out into the forest in little more than his sleeping cloths. We searched for hours in the darkness and when we finally found him he was bitterly cold and muttering words that we quite simply could not understand. He is no longer with us Avarion, we have found ourselves in the most unfortunate of positions.

For a while Mother tried her hardest to keep the farm working for us but sad times have befallen the lands around us and ill health has indeed taken its toll upon the family. We fear she is suffering from a broken heart, the happiness in her eyes has long since faded and she barely moves from her bed. Cassy tends her sores and ensures she takes food and water, but her light is fading fast.
Milus has ventured into Gondor in search of work at the ports and Serby-boy…well, he’s no longer a boy and certainly doesn’t drink like one. It was only last night that Cassy chased him out of the house with Mother's old broom and told him never to return. Needless to say he was back the following afternoon with an extremely sore head and seat!

Avarion, to my point, it is of the utmost importance that I speak with you. I am already gathering my belongings and am heading to the city in a matter of days. I have a friend who is also travelling into the region and he will see me safely to the gates.
If you receive this letter, please wait for me. I will come to the Old Guesthouse in the hope of finding you.
I know there is only ill-feeling between yourself and mother at the moment, but for the sake of Cassy and your brothers, and for me Avarion, I truly need your help and advice.

Your trusted and most loyal sister,
Tyra

A hastily scribbled note has been delivered to the property of 'Wood Works' Carpentry, in the Marketplace of Minas Tirith. In the early hours of the morning. There is no address or stamp or any sign of official delivery to justify the rude awakening of Addhor, nor to offer compensation to the neighbours of the establishment, who no doubt were also woken by the exuberant barking which followed. The explanation, such as it is, was simply laid upon the counter, folded over once, so that it propped up to be noticed. In fact, it may have to be wrestled out of the jaws of a young dog who sits, expectantly, upon the floor and is bound to be noticed, in order to explain :

'Umm .. Dad,

There is no time to explain. There is a dog. I have to go out on manoeuvres, can't say where or how long for. Classified, of course, you understand.

Please understand.

Unalmis

P.S.
I call her Hattie.
'

Child of Gondor
Andarion
Nells Breads & Pastries

Dear Andarion,
I know we’d only planned on my staying with Mourgan for a couple weeks but I find the time away from the business of the city refreshing.
I know the bakery is in good hands with you and Laila and there it will stay for the time being. Mourgan needs my help and so I will give it.
Should anyone ask please give them my address and give that baby a kiss for me.

All my love,
Nell

Child of Gondor
Crissy
I would like to invite you for a picnic two days hence. I’ll bring everything we’ll need, you just bring yourself if you wish to come.

Affectionately,
Mourgan Alarion

(Check out the date..very cool)

Master Torturer
Dear Mr. Amlaith of Amlaith's Clay Pipes,

This is a friendly reminder that we have not received your monthly payment for your loan. The payment was due 2 weeks ago. We are not aware of any outstanding issues or reasons for non-payment, so we would like to respectfully ask you to make payment as soon as possible.

Please let us know when we can expect to receive payment. If you have any queries, do not hesitate to let us know.

Kind regards,

Mr Bragor of House Marach,
The Seven Stars Bank

Steward of Gondor
to Captain @Pele Alarion,
Ranger Headquarters
Sixth Circle, Minas Tirith

Greetings, Captain. This message is to inform you that I have been working closely with the recruit Romeran and have spent a fair amount of time in training with him. It is my opinion that he has done very well in learning all that I have taught him thus far. He seems a very swift learner, and eager to absorb all that I teach him. I have given him training in such things as archery, survival, foraging, tracking, stealth, and navigation. I believe he has fulfilled all basic training necessary for further advancement from recruit and recommend that he be evaluated for advancement to Trainee.

Sincerely, Tirdinen Duinion Raedor
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn

A small letter was sent on its way to find the recipient, neatly secured and sealed, though it held no secrets even if anyone unauthorised happened to open it.

"To Macardil
Fourth Circle

Macardil,
would it be possible for us to meet somewhere for a few words? It is not urgent, yet let me know if and when you could give me a bit of your time.
Best regards,
Pele Alarion"

Éowyn
Éowyn
To @Pele Alarion
Ranger Barracks
Room 3

Greetings Ms Alarion,

If you wish, we could meet at the first day of the week. After your duties, you will be able to find me at the park near the Marketplace. Just inside the entrance, there is a shaded stone table with stone benches. I will wait for you there.

If that does not align with your schedule, you may of course feel free to make a counter offer.

Respectfully,
Macardil
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn

Macardil
Fourth Circle

G'day, Macardil,

Yes, the day and the location seem perfect. Will be just on time.

Regards,
P.A.

Éowyn
Éowyn
To @Pele Alarion
Ranger Barracks
Room 3

Greetings Ms Alarion,

I am glad you think the proposed day and time propitious.

Inquisitive as I may be as to the subject you wish to discuss, I shall of course exercise the required patience until our meeting.

Respectfully,
Macardil
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain Pele Alarion
Rangers Headquarters
@Pele Alarion

For the attention of the Captain,

It is my duty to report that I have conducted the first of the surprise lodging inspections, having broached the subject with yourself quite recently. It is my misfortune to report that Ranger Raxëlilta of Room 1 in the South Wing has managed to damage the state of his interior wall. There are several holes made there by unknown purposes that I highly suspect have involved him hurling missiles at said wall for the purpose of some target practice.

I have duly made suggestion that he partake of daily practice in the training grounds, for the duration of at least a fortnight, and for no less than an hour on each of those occasions. The guards at the admittance gate have been advised to observe that this is undertaken. It is my hope that this may serve to remind him of more fitting locations to work on improving his aim.

If I have overstepped in this regard, I hereby invite you to overturn the judgement as befits your own opinion of the matter. In any case, as Captain, you hold the right to be kept informed of all and any infractions that I may come across within the bounds of my jurisdiction.

With the greatest of respect,

Lieutenant Brian*

*NOTE. Permission to RP as the Barracks NPC, 'Lieutenant Brian', was authorised by the Barracks thread runner before embarking on this chapter of development for my own character.*

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie
In the early morning, the day following the events here, a simple note, written in neat, cursive handwriting, was slid under the door of "Needful Things", folded over to conceal the contents of the note, but "To Domanol Raxëlilta" written upon the side facing up. When unfolded, the note would read:

Dear Uncle Domanol,

Is it true? Have you finally returned home? I am most anxious to reunite with you, and have missed you greatly since you left, so long ago. I was so small then, that I cannot say that I remember you very well, but I would like to remedy that as soon as possible. However, I regret to report that I cannot say the same for my father. I suggest that we arrange to meet some place outside of the city, if that is agreeable to you.

There is a big oak tree, of which I believe you are well familiar, out in the Pelennor overlooking the Fayregrounds, which I think would make an excellent place. I will be waiting there at noon today, and I very much hope you will come. I look forward to seeing you, and hope that the feeling is mutual!

Your nephew,
Unalmis Raxëlilta
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Warden of Tower
Lieutenant Brian
Ranger Barracks
Sixth Circle
@Ercassie

Lieutenant,

Thank you for keeping me informed, and I have duly taken note of the said infraction by Ranger Raxëlilta and the consequences you have assigned him. I am confident that time spent on the training grounds will be useful for improving his skills, and by the end of the assigned time I might verify that it is indeed so, or have him engage in the same training for longer, should the achieved results not be satisfactory.

Respectfully,
Captain Pele Alarion

Captain Pele Alarion
Rangers Headquarters
@Pele Alarion

For the attention of the Captain,

It is my duty to report that I have had to expand on the planned room inspections, to the point of establishing daily checks in the South Wing for the period of at least a month. This owing to the recent discovery of an unsupervised dog, which has apparently been kept on the premises without any permission or proper consideration as to the consequences. You may rest assured that the animal in question has now been escorted off the grounds.

While I appreciate that there is no specific rule in place as to whether or not a dog is permitted in the Barracks, neither is there any rule relating to whether horses or oliphaunts or trolls are to be allowed to roam the corridors freely. But I very much hope that I will not find such extremes of contraband within the given month. And perhaps the duration of this progress shall be long enough that all and any inhabitants may become accustomed to keeping their quarters correctly for the foreseeable future. Those with nothing to hide have nothing to worry about. Those who do shall be corrected.

In the light of educating our less experienced youth, I have had to introduce Recruit Leithor of Room 3, South Wing, to the library in the Common Rooms this week. As he has very quickly made clear that he has no proper comprehension of how a Ranger ought conduct themselves or respect a superior officer. He will be copying by hand the entire contents of the rules and regulations handbook, penned originally by myself, in the vain hope that said information might be properly absorbed and acknowledged.

If I have overstepped in this regard, I hereby invite you to overturn the judgement as befits your own opinion of the matter. In any case, as Captain, you hold the right to be kept informed of all and any infractions that I may come across within the bounds of my jurisdiction.

With the greatest of respect,

Lieutenant Brian*

*This letter has been created with the full knowledge and permission of the writer for Recruit Leithor. @Rillewen

High Warden of Tower
The letter from Lieutenant Brian had sat on Pele's desk for a few hours untouched, and yet she could not delay looking into it for much more than that. The contents had nearly caused her despair: a whole month of daily inspections! And it was more than likely that Lt. Brian was bound to find some thing or other wrong in one of the rooms. The prospect of receiving daily letters detailing findings and - surely requiring a reply to be written as per due respect and protocol - made the Captain sigh. In her humble opinion, daily inspections might both be a punishment to disorderly Rangers and to Lt. Brian himself, even if it was just the South Wing and not the whole barracks. And surely the man could handle any infractions himself without resorting to writing daily reports to her.

For a while she sat, staring at the letter and wishing she could just ignore it, but her sense of upholding proper protocol did not permit for such a thing. Besides, she did find it somewhat concerning that Trastion clearly had shown some sort of disrespect to the Lieutenant. While she believed that Brian could easily deal with any illegally kept dogs, or even trolls, himself, disrespect of authority should not be left unnoticed, if it turned out more than just one random instance arising out of lack of experience. With another sigh of displeasure, Pele set about writing a short acknowledgement of the letter.

Lieutenant Brian
Ranger Barracks

Lieutenant Brian,

Kindly accept my gratitude for making sure that Ranger barracks are kept in very good order!

It is good to learn that the discovered dog has been duly taken care of, and I express hopes that other animals, especially of the enormous kind mentioned by you, will not be found in the barracks. However, should there be trouble of such kind, please inform me.

It is my hope that Recruit Leithor will gain proper learning and knowledge from his activities in the library, yet I would also appreciate if you kept me informed also in the case if any problems should continue in this particular area.

Respectfully,
Captain Pele Alarion

@Isolde Alarion

The letter is addressed, ‘To Nelladel Alarion’.

Though there is no actual address to speak of upon the otherwise plain envelope. Suggesting that it was hand delivered, entrusted to no whims of fate or maladies of the mail service. Simply slipped under the door, so that it could not be retrieved by any but the recipient within. No matter how much the sender might later begin to fret over such atypical behaviour on his part. This was the first time he had trialled such an act, the first time he had been inspired to even the notion of it. And though he did not count himself the equal of greater romantics, still there existed such muses, evidently, to render even the least likely of men and his senses apart, for the mere hope of her slightest enjoyment.

How can I tell you
That I love you
I love you
When I can't think the right words to say

I long to tell you
That I'm always thinking of you
I'm always thinking of you
But my words just blow away
I just go away

Always ends up to one thing, my dear
‘Words’ aren’t all that I want to say

Wherever I am, dear
I'm always walking with you
I'm always walking with you
But I look and you're not there

And whoever I'm with
I'm always, always, talking to you
I'm always talking to you
And I'm sad that you can't hear
Sad when you’re not there

Always ends up to one thing, my dear
Words can’t tell how much I care

I need to know you
Need to fold my arms around you
Fold my arms around you
Like a sea around a shore

Each night and day I pray
In hope that I might see you
I hope to always see you
Because words will do no more
what words are for

It always ends up to one thing, my dear
Still you don’t ask me for more

So how can I tell you
That I love you
I love you
When I can't think of right words to say

I long to tell you
That I'm always thinking of you
I'm always thinking of you

It always ends up to one thing, my dear
There are no words enough to say
’**

**Disclaimer. The above is almost entirely credited to the lyrics of ‘How Can I Tell You ?’, by Cat Steven. With a tiny teeny bit of tweaking to fit the IC..)

Memorandum

FAO Lieutenant Aderic Androllius
Tower Guard HQ
Second Circle, Minas Tirith
@Rillewen

Lieutenant,

I have spoken with Captain Bealthor as regards the taking of statements for an alleging of criminal activity against an individual, crimes having occurred within our jurisdiction. There are reputedly multiple witnesses to cater for, and multiple crimes purported. Given my only recent introduction to this office, it has been both advised and also would be greatly appreciated, if you could assist me in this matter. So that I should conduct the proceedings with the required professionalism, both on this occasion and, by that experience, in the future.

If you could meet me before time, I will do my best to brief you on the details, such as I am aware at this early stage. I would be most grateful if you were able to provide the same seasoned expertise in this regard as you have demonstrated in all your instruction of my training to date.

With all owed respect,

S. Korsey
(Recruit)

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie
July 7 (about a week after midsummer)
An envelope is to be found, carefully placed on the porch of the Korsey residence, leaned against a window where it should be easily noticed. The front of the envelope simply reads:

Ms. Sorrela Korsey

The letter inside is as follows:
To Guard Recruit Sorrela Korsey,
(and whomever else it may concern,)

This letter is difficult to write, however necessary it may be. It is with deep regret that I pen these words at all, and deeper still that it has come to this. And I apologize deeply for what you must think of me by now. I apologize with all my heart for every ounce of the trouble and distress which has occurred as a result. There are matters which I cannot expect you or anyone else to believe, and yet, I ask that perhaps you will believe me when I say that I am doing what I believe is right. I realize that it will appear as if I have fled from arrest, or that I am attempting to evade justice. This is not true, and I beg you to have faith in that.

I have been attempting for some time to gather some sort of solid evidence, in the hope that I might finally prove to others, what I have known all along. Alas, this proof has come at the cost of my own reputation, and therefore I am forced to take what actions I deem necessary. I will return only when I have found the true criminal, the one responsible for all of this mess. I realize that what I am saying is quite skeptical, given everything that has been said against me. Therefore, I dare not ask for aid in this hunt. Still, I believe I know where to find him, so that is where I plan to start my search. I shall return when I have the guilty party in custody, and with a tremendous amount of luck, perhaps I may succeed in clearing my name and restoring whatever honor I once had.

Sincerely and with much regret,
Aderic Androllius

P.S. This is very important, Ms Korsey. When, and if, you ever do see me again, I beg that you make certain that it is, in fact, myself. Ask me to answer a question. “What color was the horse that the elf abandoned at the gate?” And if I do not answer “Gleaming white as fresh-fallen snow” then it is not I whom you see before you. Please be cautious, and please, accept my apologies for letting you down, and everything else.

Istari Sage
Ranger Recruit Romeran
Ranger Barracks, South Wing, Room 1

Dear Ranger Trainee Romeran,

I hope this letter finds you well, My name is Orla and I am a Pelecconer Ranger in the service of Gondor. I have heard great things about your training under Ranger Tírdinen Duinion, and I am glad to hear that you are doing well. I couldn't help but notice on the ranger roster that you have listed 'axe' as your primary weapon of choice. I was absolutely delighted to see this, as I am a seasoned Pelecconer ranger, and the axe is consequently my weapon of choice as well. If you truly wish to become a master of the axe, you need to being your training with a Pelecconer.

Lieutenant Arnyn has granted me leave to train you in the art of axe fighting, and I am looking forward to working with you. Please meet me at the Ranger Training Grounds at dawn on Urimë 18, dressed in your ranger attire and equipped with your weapons, including your axe and a long knife. Remember, the early bird catches the orc, so don't be late! I must warn you, however, that the training will be intense, and you should be prepared to work hard and earn some bruises. If you're not a morning person, just pretend you are and we'll get along just fine.

I look forward to meeting you and beginning our training together.

Sincerely,

Ranger Pelecconer Orla

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn

To Ranger Lt. Arnyn Dealedwen

Let it be known to you that a certain Ranger, known as Trastion, with the aid from a friend or two - or more - has caused a lot of trouble on the Pelennor. He ran into my yard wielding a mighty sword and regardless of my objections chased around his friend - or several - until the whole place was in a mess. This is not a behaviour befitting a Ranger, so I would appreciate if you took this particular Ranger in hand and made sure due compensation for the trouble is paid.

Signed,
Indignant Anonymous Neighbour to the Ranger Training Grounds

[The Blonde edit: Foo sprinkles!]

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

To the Indignant Anonymous Neighbour to the Training Grounds

I am afraid I should say I have no idea who you are referring to. As far as I know neither Lieutenant of the Gondorian Rangers have fanboys. As such I cannot possibly ascertain the truth of the matter, let alone see to it that any of those involved are disciplined.

However, I am willing to visit your yard and see what can be deduced from the scene and your recollections.

Yours sincerely,
Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
(Mid-Late August)

Unalmis Raxëlilta
Ranger Barracks
@Ercassie

Greetings from Rohan!

Hello, Unalmis! I've just received some very exciting news! Of course, by the time you read this, the news will be a little older, but still very exciting. It turns out, I've been selected to come to your lovely city, to expand upon my education as a healer! For a whole year's time! I will be leaving next month, and I'm not sure how long the journey will take. I'll be riding my horse, but I don't know whether he'll need to travel slowly or not. Still, I can hardly wait to arrive!

I'll be training at the highly esteemed Infirmary of Minas Tirith, or, Houses of Healing as you call it, for the duration of my stay. Something about having a wider range of learning, and sharing knowledge between our two great nations, and so forth. Not a bad idea, especially since it allows me a chance to visit Minas Tirith and see for myself if your descriptions do it justice. Perhaps I'll be working alongside Eryn, since I recall some mention about her being an apprentice there as well, now. It will be nice to already know someone there.

I haven't much time right now, but hopefully, the next time we talk, it will be in person. Until then!

Best wishes,
Xyler
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn

Lord Abrazimir Dimaethor

Dimaethor Estate
Lond Col, Belfalas
@Lantaelen

Greetings, Abrazimir.

I realize this letter will be a surprise. My apologies for any resulting raised or frowned brows. Unfortunately, this is not a social call either.

Instead, I am writing to inquire after a few matters, which will also need some explanation on my part. These past few months, information and reports about the slave trade have reached my ears, and the matter does not sit well with me. Even though one master slaver has been dealt with, who knows how long it will take for another to take her place?

With what I now know of the way Umbar is supplied, I wish to broach the subject to Captain Alarion and to the King, with the goal of no longer leaving our border regions to deal with this by themselves.
In order to do this, I am gathering all the information I can. For the more I know and the better I can present the case to Captain and King, the better the odds that they will support the idea and action can be taken.

It has reached my ears that you have been to Umbar more than once, as well as that you may have in your possession one of the flags that pirates fly when they sail into the Umbarian port.

Will you tell me whether or not you in fact have this flag? It may help in setting a trap for the pirates.

In addition, do you have any information which may allow me to further refine my objective? I realize that letters may not be the best way to communicate about this, but circumstances prevent me from traveling to Belfalas in person, so please forgive me for my chosen medium.

Sincerely,
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
Minas Tirith

@Arnyn

Hail Lieutenant Dealedwen,

For the matters in which you wrote to me about, do not feel the need to apologize, for this is a cause that is an ever-present worry and concern upon my mind and heart. And I welcome it's discussion.

I am well aware of the slave trade and it’s egregious effects upon our Realm. There are many examples of the tragedies inflicted upon our people even here in Lond Col. I myself have personally led many efforts to repel the slavers from our shores and have indeed visited the Umbarin port. For my part, I consider the danger and threat to Gondor’s southern shores by these opportunistic and cruel pirates to be the greatest peril our people must now face.

Therefore, I welcome any aid, material or personnel or otherwise, in conducting these matters. In turn, I will freely offer up any services and information I might be able to offer.

For the trophies you inquire of, I do indeed have a captured standard in my possession, alongside some other items of note that may add a degree of authenticity to your plot. The vessel itself upon our return to Dol Amroth was scuttled and sank to Uinen's embrace, however. I am more than happy to deliver them to you and discuss further in person this forthcoming campaign. I am capable of sailing perhaps to the port of Harlond, up the Anduin, and arranging a meet there. How does that sit with you?

I shall await your reply and further instructions. Berio I refn-en-alph len.

Abrazimir Dimaethor
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Éowyn
Éowyn

Lord Abrazimir Dimaethor

Dimaethor Estate
Lond Col, Belfalas
@Lantaelen

Greetings, Abrazimir,

Your letter was well received. In all honesty it is difficult to set my mind at ease these days, but your written words nonetheless managed to grant it some reprieve.

Your offers are most welcome - as well as, I suspect, necessary, if we are to tackle this endeavour with any hope for success. Your experience and input should prove invaluable. If you are willing and able to accommodate me by sailing to Harlond, I will of course clear my schedule accordingly.

This month will soon be at an end, and word has reached my ears you will be otherwise engaged in the month to come. Therefore I suggest meeting after summer's end, when you are (hopefully) able to sail without undue scrutiny. This timeframe will also give me the opportunity to broach the issue with Captain Alarion, and depending on the Captain's reaction to my queries and suggestions, hopefully King Elessar as well.

Vanya sulie, Abrazimir.

Sincerely,
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
Minas Tirith

@Arnyn

The sentiment received in your last letter is very welcome amongst Lond Col. You’ll find us both hardy and diligent allies in this noble endeavour. A voyage to Harlond is well within my means. But as you state, present circumstances will see my efforts contained elsewhere for the following weeks. At summer’s end, I will make the journey to the harbour of the White City and there I can present to you the tokens of the enemy in which you seek.

Furthermore, we may take counsel and conjure up the details of this endeavour in person. Let us not say too much via letters, as mail often has a habit of being intercepted. And the enemy is most devious in regards to gathering intel, as I’m sure you may have heard of recent espionage conducted by our mutual foes in Belfalas and other places.

Please give my compliments to Captain Alarion and the others. I look forward to hearing the King’s input on this matter. I will dispatch another missive in advance of my voyage to Harlond when I am able to undertake it.

Berio I refn-en-alph len. Glory to Gondor!

Signed,
Abrazimir Dimaethor
Berio i refn-en-alph len

@Pele Alarion

For Cadil
Cadil's home address
Third Circle, Minas Tirith

There is only the scrawl upon the package to give an immediate clue as to it’s sender. The stamp says it originated in the Minas Tirith mail system, so at least you can dismiss fears that this might contain some nasty thing sent from certain nasty folks who live elsewhere. Still, the size and even the shape of the package are equally unhelpful in determining what might be inside.

Inside .. well, first off, there is a box, and inside of that box, a smaller box, then another, and then just for a change, would you believe it ? A box ! This one smaller than the last but larger than the one inside of it, for yes ! There are more boxes to open, as though this were your birthday .. isn’t it exciting ?!

There are in fact a total of seventeen separate boxes to open before the recipient (providing he hasn’t given up or gone to hunt up some sandwiches in the meantime to keep up his box-opening energy) will find the actual intended item that has been sent.

There are seventeen of those as well. And they are .. not a sort of box although they .. rhyme.. with box. Inside of the seventeenth box, there are no more and no less than seventeen freshly pressed socks. All clean and of identical colour. Their odd number may lead you to count and re-count to be sure that the sender is not mad (though by this point that should have been rather evident).

Still, seventeen socks are at the heart, or core, of the seventeen (presumably opened) boxes. Which means that really, this is a gift of both socks and box ! And that might mean nothing to anybody that opens up such a convoluted chaos of mail. Except for the person it was addressed to, who should be able to work out, from both the socks, and the number of boxes, who had wasted a silly proportion of their day in accomplishing such a delivery.

Now what exactly the recipient might choose to do, with both/and/either socks and boxes, is entirely up to him, providing that he was the one who opened them. And that of course takes us back to an entire reliance on the mailman being able to decipher the scrawled address on the largest and most outer .. umm box.

Good luck ?

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn

The message, though short, was carefully sealed and sent up to the Seventh Circle by hand of a trustworthy messenger. It contained the following note:

"Most honourable King Elessar,

A serious issue related to the safety of our nation has become clear.
I kindly request an audience to discuss the issue with you and receive your orders in this regard.

With deepest respect,
Cpt. Pele Alarion"

Éowyn
Éowyn
Captain Pele Alarion
Sixth Circle, Ranger Headquarters
Command Office
@Pele Alarion

To Captain Pele Alarion,

Your request has been granted.

None knows what the new day shall bring him. Neither shall I, on the morrow - with the exception of your arrival at the third hour after sunrise.

The King's greetings to you,

Aragorn Arathornion Edhelharn
Aran Gondor ar Arnor ar Hîr i Mbair Annui
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn

A messenger from the post office came looking for Arnyn at the barracks, bringing a bouquet of deep red roses so vast that he barely saw his way forward. A note tied with a silver ribbon accompanied the flowers, and the text within said:

"Sweetest, dearest Arnyn... Lady Dealedwen, if you prefer,

I have long admired you from afar, not so much for the heroic deeds and the fame that has been proclaimed throughout the city and sung of. I deem you most beautiful to behold, and desire greatly to meet you face to face.

I have sent you beautiful roses, though their appearance could not compete with you no matter how great their number - and I marvel if you would like to accept my humble invitation to dine with me?

I beseech you, do not leave me unaware and do kindly send your reply to my invitation by the same mailman who is bringing you my humble gift.

With greatest admiration and love,
Anonymous, yet Very Hopeful Adorer"

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

To Anonymous,

While I appreciate the compliment, difficult as it is for me to believe - I am sending back your gift of flowers along with this note.

I wish to know who is sending a gift and an extending an invitation, and why they are doing so, before I can consider accepting either one.

Sincerely,
Arnyn Dealedwen
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn

This time only a single rose was sent with the note which was taken to the Headquarters by a slightly dissatisfied messenger.

"Dear Arnyn,

I must acknowledge that your questions are fair, and I will try to answer briefly to the best of my abilities.

While I have heard of you and have seen you here and there, I highly doubt that you would know of me; I am no one of importance, only one of the commoners, so to say.

I assure you, compliments I meant sincerely, and my only intent in writing to you was to see if I could invite you for a small meal and see for myself that all the things I have heard are indeed true.

If all the flowers were too much, perhaps you would accept at least one as a small token that I mean well. I would also be very much honoured if you agreed to dine with me as a short break from your duties, yet I will respect your decision if you decline.

Heartily,
Alastar Shakalgimil"

@Rillewen

Xyler, Apprentice Healer
c/o Houses of Healing

Greetings, and welcome to your new home,

Thanks for your letter, Xy, I received it a week or so ago but figured there was little point in my writing back to you at the address that you were leaving behind. It was though still a little early to write to you yet at the address where you would be arriving, so I waited a while and can only hope that I have timed it more or less right. Figured if you turn up and are feeling overwhelmed or suddenly alone, then a friendly welcome (even if it is at first only on paper) would be a nice find in your new set up. I would have put in something nice to eat as a welcome gift, but as the timing is uncertain I fear it would spoil and that would not be a nice start. Not to mention that it might attract rats or something which might nibble this letter to naught.

Not that there are rats here. Well, no more than is usual in a big city. They are simply spine-less pinecones though with rope tails to compensate and we can not hold that against them. I have drawn you a map instead (enclosed) in the hopes that they shall find that rather less tasty and you might still find it useful as you begin to manouvre your way around the city. All the best eateries and pubs and things are marked, as well as some fantastic parks for climbing trees and things. But we shall explore as thoroughly as you like when you are settled.

So first off, I absolutely hope that your journey went well and look forward to hearing all about it. If you haven’t managed some sort of exciting adventure en route, then you shall have to do your best to make the scenery sound thrilling. When I told Eryn that you would be coming to study here, she was very ecstatic at the thought of seeing you again. We both are of course though she is already betting that she will see you here before I do. Since you will both be studying at the same place, it is a very unfair advantage toward her side. To which end she has not stopped smiling yet !

The Ranger Barracks are very conveniently located on the same Circle as the Houses of Healing of course. Albeit guarded by a wily and well spoken yet rude dragon known as the Barracks Master (amongst other things). I say this only to forewarn you, as he defends his lair from unexpected visitors with a passion that is unrivalled ! But we must find a way to meet up regardless. I owe you a tour and a sampling of interesting local cuisine !

I shall do my very best to stop by/look in at your new place more often, in the hopes of running into you. I do pass by the Houses of Healing most evenings on my way down to/back from visiting Hattie anyway, and sometimes training or what have you at various times. So if you spot me, feel free to SHOUT ! I likely need the waking up anyway, if you believe certain people.

Thrilled to hear you will be spending an entire year studying here. I hope that it proves to be all you ever wanted. And look forward to helping toward that end in whatever way I can.

Your friend,
Nal

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion

To Alastar Shakalgimil,

Your reply and the return of a single rose was well appreciated, Alastar. It shows humility and honesty, both of which are admirable qualities. Thank you for your kind words.

I am flattered by the invitation but I am afraid I must decline. There are too many things that require my attention. The free time I do have, is few and far in between. I apologize if this disappoints you, but hopefully you will respect this, as you wrote in your last note.

Sincerely,
Arnyn Dealedwen
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Lantaelen
Lantaelen wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:41 am Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Minas Tirith

@Arnyn

The sentiment received in your last letter is very welcome amongst Lond Col. You’ll find us both hardy and diligent allies in this noble endeavour. A voyage to Harlond is well within my means. But as you state, present circumstances will see my efforts contained elsewhere for the following weeks. At summer’s end, I will make the journey to the harbour of the White City and there I can present to you the tokens of the enemy in which you seek.

Furthermore, we may take counsel and conjure up the details of this endeavour in person. Let us not say too much via letters, as mail often has a habit of being intercepted. And the enemy is most devious in regards to gathering intel, as I’m sure you may have heard of recent espionage conducted by our mutual foes in Belfalas and other places.

Please give my compliments to Captain Alarion and the others. I look forward to hearing the King’s input on this matter. I will dispatch another missive in advance of my voyage to Harlond when I am able to undertake it.

Berio I refn-en-alph len. Glory to Gondor!

Signed,
Abrazimir Dimaethor

The mail does indeed have a habit of being intercepted. For this letter would be the last of the correspondence between Abrazimir and Arnyn.

About the time that Abrazimir would have sent his second missive, giving pre-warning of his arrival.. an entire batch of mail would utterly vanish, along with the ship carrying it, named the Míresgal. Also along with any gold or other cargo and sailors that might have been aboard. Only a wine bottle with a cork hastily stuffed into the top would reach the nearest shore, and from there.. it was a gamble where it would arrive, or who would find it. Whether it would reach the authorities, or remain washed up on the beach forever.

Inside this bottle, if anyone should chance to look inside and pull out the message crammed inside, they would find a hastily scrawled note:

Míresgal - late sept

Valar help us, we've been boarded by pirates! They've slain our captain, taken us captive, stealing our ship, the cargo...
I see no chance of escape for myself or the others, but may this note find someone that can bring news of this to the authorities. Bring justice to these criminals, and avenge the crew of the Míresgal. Perhaps, at least, someone can pass the news to our families, and help us, somehow. Or if nothing else.. let someone know what became of us.
- Brêgion, of the crew